Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2016 7:54:37 AM EDT
Making some atv trails and have a few spots with seasonal creaks. Would like a bridge to hold my small kubota too

Anyone have some to show off? Need some ideas

Edit only 12" max water but it stays muddy longer
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#1]
How high is my biggest issue....
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#2]
How wide of span? That's the critical issue... 5 feet or less and you can get it done with treated lumber from your local big-box store. 10 feet and you need some serious timbers (phone-poles etc). More than 10 feet and you're starting to get into the area of A) needing some actually load calculations and B) might look into acquiring a short section of pre-cast concrete "Double-T"...
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Chunk of galvanized or concrete culvert.  Add dirt.  Win.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Old shipping containers work great, just chop a few holes sufficient for water flow.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#5]
don't have any pictures but a buddy has build some pretty decent bridges with old telephone poles, both wood and metal.  He drives his ATV's and jeeps over them regularly.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
This is what we do on the farm. Holds up to some very large equipment (including dozers)

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
don't have any pictures but a buddy has build some pretty decent bridges with old telephone poles, both wood and metal.  He drives his ATV's and jeeps over them regularly.  
View Quote

Just remember that generally utilities don't replace poles because they were bored and didn't have anything to do that day.  Usually they come with 30+ years of woodpecker holes, rot and wear.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Just got some treated 6x6's from a pole barn tear down
Creak on trails is maybe 5-6' total width needed.

Other areas I did culverts but these bridges are for fun trails in woods
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Culverts may or may not need approvals depending on state/local law because they can be a flow restrictor; keeping in line with that be certain you're accounting for flood level water flow and not just normal flows when calculating culvert size... otherwise you may find your culvert washed down-stream during a flood...

Quoted:
Old shipping containers work great, just chop a few holes sufficient for water flow.

Are you talking about using the container as a culvert or as the bridge? Shipping containers with both ends removed can be used as a bridge and can carry quite a load so that is a consideration. But containers can get pricey depending on locale...

Quoted:
Quoted:

Just remember that generally utilities don't replace poles because they were bored and didn't have anything to do that day.  Usually they come with 30+ years of woodpecker holes, rot and wear.

Generally you're right, but when upgrading lines, changing lines etc, it's not uncommon to pull perfectly good poles and get rid of them cheap... hint would be to buy good poles, not the rotten ones. Could also go down to your local saw-mill and ask for some large rough-sawn timbers if you can't find phone-poles cheap.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have so much growth that they are pulling good poles for road widening projects.  I have an unlimited supply for free.  Some are like 24" diameter and 40' long.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We have so much growth that they are pulling good poles for road widening projects.  I have an unlimited supply for free.  Some are like 24" diameter and 40' long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knew a guy in N. ID back 20 years ago that would buy them cheap at auction and was using them to build pole barns and other tall outbuildings.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been thinking of building some draw bridges.
Steel construction basically I want cattle gaurds over waterways that flop up and down.
But for static bridges not being subject to heavy loads I would look for old flatbed trailers.
There is a lot engineering or overbuild needed to make it safe on projects like this and keep in mind all the idiots that may come along and use it not just yourself.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:07:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't build it like the one that was on my property

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Don't build it like the one that was on my property

<a href="http://s109.photobucket.com/user/trip157/media/4a6c6ab211f76e14cee3fcaff7030971_zpsdc60fc7b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/trip157/4a6c6ab211f76e14cee3fcaff7030971_zpsdc60fc7b.jpg</a>
View Quote

or this one from a google search
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Why not make a low water crossing?  Rocks big enough not to wash away and smaller stuff to fill in.  at least you don't have to worry about "load". cut the banks so your equipment can get through and nature will do the rest.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Railroad car turned bridge on a jobsite a few years ago

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#18]
If its just a 5' long ATV bridge are you able to use natural resources?  In my AO we would just use a few trees.

Can make some really nice ones using a small chainsaw mill, and careful placement.

If your looking at parking your kubota rtv on them then they might need a bit more support, but for just a regular ATV, natural timbers will work fine, and last years.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Railroad car turned bridge on a jobsite a few years ago
<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/nrlu53j" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/855/lu53.jpg</a>
<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/0lhtizj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/21/htiz.jpg</a>
<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/b51vd3j" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/401/1vd3.jpg</a>
View Quote

Can also use an old semi trailer. Remove the tires and bury the axles.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Five or six feet?  Rail road ties side by side to the width you need.

10 to 14 ft?  Good condition telephone poles with 2X6's nailed across them.

16 to 20 ft.?  We used a trailer frame.  Bolt/screwed treated 2X6's to the frame rails and put a couple of telephone pole posts near the middle on flat rocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top