Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2016 10:05:31 AM EDT
Both of these are new to me this year, so trying to learn on the fly. This started a few days ago and trying to figure out what the cause is so I can fix it. There was nothing in this section of bed last season, all were planted from healthy looking transplants about 3 weeks ago, tomatoes, okra, and broccoli in other parts of same bed are all doing fine, bush cucumber at the end of the row of kale is doing great fine. What's going on here?

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a clue just here to learn.
Tell me about your watering system.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a clue just here to learn.
Tell me about your watering system.
View Quote

Sure! It's pretty simple really, 3/4 pvc with 3/32 holes drilled every 8 inches or so. It's divided into segments and fed with a garden hose that we move from section to section. I am looking at adding a controller from RainBird that will automatically do 4 sections, but it's not really in the budget right now. The one thing I will say, if I had it to do over and new ones moving forward will be 1/2 instead of 3/4.

Here's a couple more views:

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I like it. Deer keep eating my drip heads (and everything else) so I have been looking for ideas.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like it. Deer keep eating my drip heads (and everything else) so I have been looking for ideas.
View Quote

I'm a little jealous of you having deer in the backyard, my biggest threat is squirrels and start cats

But, squirrel meat is still meat and that .177 Benjamin prowler is no joke for neighbor friendly pest control
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Your kale is clearly stressed for one reason or another..  have you tested the soil pH?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
My guess is over-watering. but I'm no expert so tagging for answers.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Your kale is clearly stressed for one reason or another..  have you tested the soil pH?
View Quote

I have not, never thought about it actually. It's odd because the outer leaves of the kale are still yellowing, but the inner harvestable leaves are growing bright green and getting bigger. Cauliflower is still struggling and hasn't grown much more at all though

Eta: we are still having some unseasonably hot, like high 80s/90s type weather, could that be part of it?
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I asked my wife and she said:

Too hot and not enough nitrogen are both possible causes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have not, never thought about it actually. It's odd because the outer leaves of the kale are still yellowing, but the inner harvestable leaves are growing bright green and getting bigger. Cauliflower is still struggling and hasn't grown much more at all though

Eta: we are still having some unseasonably hot, like high 80s/90s type weather, could that be part of it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kale loves cool weather.  In fact, I planted mine just after the snow went away in the spring, and we had a hard frost the other day and my Red Russian Kale did great.  Heat stress could be a problem.  

Did you acclimatize them to the sun slowly?  What are you using for fertilizer?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:09:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Kale loves cool weather.  In fact, I planted mine just after the snow went away in the spring, and we had a hard frost the other day and my Red Russian Kale did great.  Heat stress could be a problem.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, I planted based on the almanac calendar, but that obviously wasn't accounting for it still being 90 here in mid-October. They had been sitting outside on a rack at the place I bought them, didn't think I needed to do anything else as far as acclimating them, I'd never done that with anything else  utecht maybe I need to read up because that may explain some issues with other stuff in the past. All the beds just have composted manure tilled in, it was the way I learned to do it growing up and it always seemed to work for my grandmother, and has for me on most stuff. Just not this
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ya, I planted based on the almanac calendar, but that obviously wasn't accounting for it still being 90 here in mid-October. They had been sitting outside on a rack at the place I bought them, didn't think I needed to do anything else as far as acclimating them, I'd never done that with anything else  utecht maybe I need to read up because that may explain some issues with other stuff in the past. All the beds just have composted manure tilled in, it was the way I learned to do it growing up and it always seemed to work for my grandmother, and has for me on most stuff. Just not this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the wood chip stuff on top?

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hot weather might be part of it.

But I think that mulch is sucking the nitrogen out of your soil.  (I fyou want to know how this works, ask. But most people don't care. They just want results.)

You need to fertilize.

Go get some miracle grow, mix it to a really pale blue, and water with that the next few times.  See if it helps.

If it DOES NOT HELP IMMEDIATELY, you have another problem.

THAT SAID..

All those stems and stuff left from last season?

You need to clean that out of your beds.  It harbors disease and pests.

If you compost, then toss it on the compost pile.

If you don't, bag it and get rid of it, or burn it.

Clean out your garden/beds each year.
View Quote

That's why I asked about the type of wood on there.  As you know, pine and some other woods can have an allelopathic effect on certain plants.  

For instance, this year I was using some Miracle Grow soil in potted plants.  These were 4-gallon pots and I had two types of soil.  One was "Garden Soil" which contained larger pieces that were used as filler.  I strongly suspect this was pine mulch.  The other was "Potting Soil" which was much finer and felt better to the touch.  The garden soil plants did poorly overall.  Their growth seemed stunted.  The potting soil plants did much better.  I've actually taken the pots filled with the garden soil and put them on my blueberries as mulch as they are unaffected by pine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes.

Though I suspect the allelopathy is not the root of the problem here.

I figure in common situations there can be two issues going on.

One would be lack of nitrogen because all the nitrogen in the soil is busy helping the microorganisms rot the big pieces of mulch.

The other could be soil pH--...because.....oh wait....drum roll please--the nitrogen is all tied up helping the  microorganisms rot the bit pieces of stuff.

That's grossly oversimplified, but oh well.

Honestly I've never had an allelopathic effect from pine-based mulch.

Of course...I live with Juglans nigra all over the property, so maybe my view is skewed by "everything freaking dying" anywhere near my trees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I think that mulch is sucking the nitrogen out of your soil.  (I fyou want to know how this works, ask. But most people don't care. They just want results.)

You need to fertilize.

Go get some miracle grow, mix it to a really pale blue, and water with that the next few times.  See if it helps.

THAT SAID..

That's why I asked about the type of wood on there.  As you know, pine and some other woods can have an allelopathic effect on certain plants.  

For instance, this year I was using some Miracle Grow soil in potted plants.  These were 4-gallon pots and I had two types of soil.  One was "Garden Soil" which contained larger pieces that were used as filler.  I strongly suspect this was pine mulch.  The other was "Potting Soil" which was much finer and felt better to the touch.  The garden soil plants did poorly overall.  Their growth seemed stunted.  The potting soil plants did much better.  I've actually taken the pots filled with the garden soil and put them on my blueberries as mulch as they are unaffected by pine.

Yes.

One would be lack of nitrogen because all the nitrogen in the soil is busy helping the microorganisms rot the big pieces of mulch.

The other could be soil pH--...because.....oh wait....drum roll please--the nitrogen is all tied up helping the  microorganisms rot the bit pieces of stuff.

Of course...I live with Juglans nigra all over the property, so maybe my view is skewed by "everything freaking dying" anywhere near my trees.

I think you're right about the nitrogen.  The yellowing like that is pretty notorious for nitrogen deficiency either outright or due to pH problems keeping it from being available enough.

I would also try some magnesium in the form of Epsom salt.  The container will have instructions on how much to use.  Worth a try and shouldn't do any harm.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mulch
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think you're right about the nitrogen.  The yellowing like that is pretty notorious for nitrogen deficiency either outright or due to pH problems keeping it from being available enough.

I would also try some magnesium in the form of Epsom salt.  The container will have instructions on how much to use.  Worth a try and shouldn't do any harm.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to fertilize.

THAT SAID..

Yes.

Sorry, been busy so haven't made it back. That's cedar mulch that we've been using around all the plants. Miracle grow has been used on their recommended schedule, and the bed was cleaned/hand tilled between seasons. The kale has been picking up and growing on the main bud leaves, the cauliflower ended up failing and has been replanted now that it is cooler
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Correct. A couple didn't fare as well but the rest are growing in the center and seem to be doing ok
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top