Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2016 4:33:47 AM EDT
... think you are?
I'm currently interested in a small cabin that is livable full time and is on several acres of hilly land.
No mineral rights are included, but that is a given anymore in the area.
What else should I look for when buying something like this?
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 4:49:12 AM EDT
[#1]
It might help if you mention the area you are looking to buy in.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 5:27:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I cannot emphasize strongly enough that a TITLE SEARCH MUST BE MADE! It may well be sold by the true owner, but other things may be found that make the land unusable. My uncle and aunt refused to pay the $800 for a title search... they lost the property when they learned the hard way that the building Uncle wanted to use as a professional garage had a forest service easement through it, making it unusable!

eta Auntie should have known better, as she was a real estate salesman for many years. She was just being cheap.

eta Also, you may wish to invest in a survey to establish your true boundaries.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Is there anything that you can run into when replacing septic systems, or even the house / cabin if there were a fire, etc, or lets say you decide to upgrade?
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:40:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Even a title search will sometimes not catch it all, I would ask for a land survey, confirm with all neighboring properties that they agree on the survey and there is no easement or adverse possession issues.

We are learning the hard way on that. Oh and talk to the neighbors, you should be able to discover if any are cray cray.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#5]
A proper survey will not only mark the boundary's on the ground but the plat itself should list any and all easements and other encumbrances or encroachments on the property
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there anything that you can run into when replacing septic systems, or even the house / cabin if there were a fire, etc, or lets say you decide to upgrade?
View Quote

Depending on location there are several ways a septic replacement can go wrong.

Permits requirements have changed since it was put in. EPA regs

Permits, just because you have a system doesn't mean you can get aother permitted.
Perk test , site is not able to perform. Happens all the time.
Site will not allow an upgrade do to soils or lack of location for proper site field.
Current system may have already been at max capacity for location, no expansion is possible.

Pump and dump is always an option if septic isn't feasible any longer.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#7]
new land survey to ensure boundaries
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Title search, zoning, Home Owner's Associations, restrictions and covenants, if access is a concern is there a legal easement that grants you passage to the property? Water test, radon tests, etc.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Look at current and historical topo maps and aerials for anything odd.  You might not want to own a former quarry, bombing range, etc.

Confirm the cabin area is not in a FEMA flood zone.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I cannot emphasize strongly enough that a TITLE SEARCH MUST BE MADE! It may well be sold by the true owner, but other things may be found that make the land unusable. My uncle and aunt refused to pay the $800 for a title search... they lost the property when they learned the hard way that the building Uncle wanted to use as a professional garage had a forest service easement through it, making it unusable!

eta Auntie should have known better, as she was a real estate salesman for many years. She was just being cheap.

View Quote

Absolutely this X 1000.

Also, a home inspection is a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#11]
My Wife is a Paralegal for a Developer and works with an outside Attorney daily.

Hire a RE Attorney. Preferably one who can also write title insurance. Spending a couple of thousand to protect a much larger purchase only makes sense. I cannot tell you how many effed up stories I hear from her. Unknown liens, past due taxes, undisclosed right of ways.....
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nailed it.

ETA: We also did some municipal code research as well, basically we vetted the city that we we're buying into.... Taxes, levies, etc.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Without giving too much info away, it is in the hills just below the Ozarks.
Lots of woods and rock formations.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Title search.

Inspection.

Survey.

Research the area, talk to neighbors.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Perc Test
water rights
functioning up to CODE septic
protected species act ?
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Proximity of neighbors to your boundaries is important. If someone for example builds right next to your boundary, you may be responsible for brush clearance for 50 feet or more from their property! There are lots of people who have had this issue in California..

eta

There can also be "visual easements:" you may not be able to build where your building can be seen from the road.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!    I just made a very fair cash offer on it!    .   Hell of a nice piece of land.  

J/k.  .      

Make sure you understand the tax implications, and the Water rights.    Devils in the details.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't. If you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

Seriously, since I couldn't find a seller to let me live in their house for a year....I had to build my own.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#19]
If it's land you need a land lawyer.  A real estate agent won't typically know what they are doing with land.  Get a survey and a boundary deletion for the title (basically make sure your title insurance covers what's on the survey).

Make sure you have full legal access to water, power, and the property.   People buy land all the time and find out later they have no legal easements to access their land or get basic utilities.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:57:24 PM EDT
[#20]
All of the above and I would suggest hiking the property as well.  My wife and I are buying about 100 acres and spent an afternoon hiking all of the perimeter to get a good notion of what we were getting into.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:39:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If it's land you need a land lawyer.  A real estate agent won't typically know what they are doing with land.  Get a survey and a boundary deletion for the title (basically make sure your title insurance covers what's on the survey).

Make sure you have full legal access to water, power, and the property.   People buy land all the time and find out later they have no legal easements to access their land or get basic utilities.
View Quote

There is city water and power to the cabin, but it is on septic.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Land survey, title insurance, check with the county for any bills that come with the property.

Going to need inspections for the septic, and likely the structure itself.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 7:35:06 AM EDT
[#23]
c
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

can you put in a well? have a cistern? dig a stock tank? rain water collection?

watched something the other day about 3 people who "save" off grid livers from themselves...the people
purchased and moved to a Montana property 43 mi from town...on 11 acres with NO WATER or money to dig a well..
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
All of the above and I would suggest hiking the property as well.  My wife and I are buying about 100 acres and spent an afternoon hiking all of the perimeter to get a good notion of what we were getting into.
View Quote

This...

Hike it. Familiarize yourself with the landmass.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
c

watched something the other day about 3 people who "save" off grid livers from themselves...the people
purchased and moved to a Montana property 43 mi from town...on 11 acres with NO WATER or money to dig a well..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
c
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it rain enough in Montana to supply them via runoff? They'd need a HUGE cistern to save water from the rainy season.

In many instances, people truck water in from town. I know of a couple of people who do this. Some cities charge by the minute; others provide a yearly access to a fire hydrant, and in both cases people must haul via trailer or water cube.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Make sure it spells out you have water and mineral rights to the land. Seems like a no brainer but you would be surprised at how often this language is slipped in by previous owners and or the state. Especially in states with water shortage history. Meaning it would be illegal to drill any type of well on property if you have these terms on your land.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Even wells may or may not amount to much.

Mine is worthless (well I use it for the garden hose) because of excessive nitrate levels.

I would have proximity to rural water and electricity as big factors for me.  Rural water was in my road ditch and it was still $2k to get it 15' into the yard and a meter installed.  I rented a trencher and did the rest... probably not that fun in southern Missouri though...
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#28]
In 2013, my wife and I bought our retirement home with acreage.  As part of the buy, we did the following:

- Hired an attorney to do the deal (he's been the county attorney for +13 years now and is very well respected).

- Had a survey done by the same surveyors that did it in 2005 and 2006 (two different parcels that had since been combined).  Survey showed us the power line and water line utility easements.  Since it now combined the two parcels into one, I also got the former county road land, adding another .16 acres to our property.

- Had a home inspection done by a local professional.  Well worth it for the piece of mind.

-  Attorney recommended and we agreed to a title search and insurance.  The title search showed us that there were two prescriptive and deeded easements for the land owners that were land locked to my south and west.  One owner lives about a mile away and the other about 3 miles away.  Both have lived here their entire lives.  Both have been excellent neighbors even though i don't see them that often.

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top