Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2016 7:52:22 PM EDT
I have a rooster that killed another rooster and two small ducks by pecking them to death. WTF? This normal behavior for roosters?
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a bit much, I've had two roosters in a flock who went at it to establish dominance, the fight didn't result in death just a beat up rooster.

I don't understand the ducklings, they wouldn't be a threat.  If he exhibits any more homicidal behavior, it might be time to fricassee him.

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a rooster that killed another rooster and two small ducks by pecking them to death. WTF? This normal behavior for roosters?
View Quote

Are they all in the same coop?

How much room do you have?

How much room do they have?

How long have you bred chickens?

My apologies if I missed a thread about your setup. More information would def help solve your problem.

EDIT- Do you have duck hatchlings in the same space as your hens and roosters?
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Had 8 chickens in the same coop. Ducks in another. Rooster killed one chicken in the coop but never bothered the others. Killed one duck 50 yards from the coop right next to the house. Killed the other out in the open back yard.

Bastard won't go back into the coop. Wife tried for about an hour. Hope the coyotes get the little bastard. Been attacking my son when he goes to feed them as well. This is my first year raising chickens.

We've been letting them free range during the day. I live on 5 acres but they don't stray to far from the backyard.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 5:19:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Had one that would ambush me and strike my legs from behind.

He was tasty.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 5:19:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Seconds.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#6]
i wouldn't tolerate that in a rooster.

i have had a handful of roosters come through my flocks through the years.

i have only had two "good" roosters.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a pecker head of a rooster too.  I got a scar on my ankle from the prick too.   We had our little sparrings all from his prompting.  I thought I had him about learned to not mess with me.  The last couple times he acted up I chased him around the yard until I got my hands on him and grabbed him by the feet and holding him upside down and carried him to a small rabbit hutch and put him in solitary for the day.  Fox or coyotes got him.....twice.  I thought he was goner once with a trail of feathers through the brush that stopped near a ground hole.  Figured a fox took up in a woodchuck den in the gully.  The next day I hear the cock crowing, I go look and he's working back and forth in the neighboring farm field like a turkey.  I go herd him back and he lasted a few more months and I nicknamed him Lazarus.   About September or so last year I had them all out free ranging while I was home and we got a hellacious down pour.  When it stopped I go outside and found he'd been nabbed by a fox and another trail of feathers went off through the woods.  He didn't come back that time.  I thought I had learned him to not mess with me and he was cowed a bit then.  If he started attacking me or anyone else he was going in the pot. I'd already made that call.

It's one thing for me to deal with but I don't need the little children in my family to get mauled by a stupid chicken.

My sister bought some straight run chickens and got two black austrolorp cocks.  I took one in.  He's very docile, not altogether friendly but not an asshole like the last one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Caught the little bastard in the duck cage again. My son says he thinks it's worth a little money as it looks like the rooster selling at the chicken market for a chunk of change. It's either that or I whip out the taser, and put his ass in the crock pot.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#9]

"Lets put him in a pot"

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:12:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Make sure you let him rest in the fridge until he goes limp, or he will likely be tough.

Rest after butchered if course.

I'll link to a great vid about processing chickens tomorrow if I remember.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:29:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Soup.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'll link to a great vid about processing chickens tomorrow if I remember.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Had 8 chickens in the same coop. Ducks in another. Rooster killed one chicken in the coop but never bothered the others. Killed one duck 50 yards from the coop right next to the house. Killed the other out in the open back yard.

Bastard won't go back into the coop. Wife tried for about an hour. Hope the coyotes get the little bastard. Been attacking my son when he goes to feed them as well. This is my first year raising chickens.

We've been letting them free range during the day. I live on 5 acres but they don't stray to far from the backyard
View Quote

Personally, I would be so angry I'd just kill it.  That's over the top behavior killing the ducks.  Are you sure it was the rooster that did it?  ETA:  If your son found it in the duck cage then there's no doubt.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#14]
My son caught the rooster pecking the shit out of the duck. Should of wacked his little ass right then.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My son caught the rooster pecking the shit out of the duck. Should of wacked his little ass right then.
View Quote

There's no time like the present...
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i wouldn't tolerate that in a rooster.

i have had a handful of roosters come through my flocks through the years.

i have only had two "good" roosters.
View Quote

This has been my experience as well.  I have had roosters who would even go so far as to tear the combs off the hens heads as they bred them.  I just kept killing and replacing roosters until I found more docile ones.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#17]
That's a great scene.
Quoted:
"Lets put him in a pot"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmpuAz59EbQ  
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I love my chickens and we only keep them as egg-layers since my son won't let us kill them.

We got 10 Silver-Laced Wyandottes a couple of years ago.  Turns out one was a rooster we named "Roo".  That SOB would not
stop pecking at those hens or the other flock of Buff Orpingtons we have.  Every 10 minutes while they were out you would hear
a hen scream after being pecked.  One day I had enough and my wife took the kids out while I chopped his head off.  A rooster
like yours is incorrigible and you either have to give it away or kill it.  I did try giving away Roo but the person I gave it too said he
was pecking his hens as well so I took him back (that was the original agreement).  I gave him every chance to live.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's a bit much, I've had two roosters in a flock who went at it to establish dominance, the fight didn't result in death just a beat up rooster.

I don't understand the ducklings, they wouldn't be a threat.  If he exhibits any more homicidal behavior, it might be time to fricassee him.  
View Quote

Coq au Chamberlain!
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Let the chickens out yesterday and the zombie rooster attacked me. He ain't dead yet but did you know roosters can fly if you kick them hard enough?
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#21]
My wife can attest to roosters being able to withstand repeated blows to the head with a baseball bat
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#22]
We have a Silver Laced Wyendotte that needs that treatment too.

He has never messed with the ducks (they can get kind of a don't screw with us attitude when they get bigger) but he is hard on the hens.  Chases the gf around too.

It was funny when we had cornish crosses, he would pick on them and they would run over/sit on him.  They probably made two of him.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a rooster and a drake that acted crazy. I can tell you from personal experience that a 124gr gold dot does ugly thing to a chicken.
Like someone else said...no time like the present.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#24]
If you haven't put that chicken in a pot yet, get off the internet and never post a question again.

If it's doing things it shouldn't, apply heat and seasonings. End of story.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#25]
So, how was the soup?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#26]
my wife has many many chickens. I get all impatient waiting on one to misbehave, stop laying eggs,  or we end up with too many roosters. It is good practice for my 17hm2 squirrel gun in the off season. Rules are,,at least a 50 yard shot,, and only head shots allowed.

We do not allow any rooster to attack us. We need chickens for the pot also. I will let a rooster be a little rough with the hens cause we live in the middle of the woods. The slightly rougher rooster is also more protective of the hens from other animals,,it seems. I have been known to have "chicken sex" with my wife on occasion when she gets too uppity!
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I have been known to have "chicken sex" with my wife on occasion when she gets too uppity!
View Quote
Does that mean your done in 5 seconds?

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been known to have "chicken sex" with my wife on occasion when she gets too uppity!

got me there!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top