Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2016 12:46:51 AM EDT
So I've been lax about posting for quite a while. We're selling the house we're in now and hopefully moving to more of a homestead type place. In prep for that, I didn't set up my fenced garden. I'm going to try containers only. Here's a picture I have from early this week.

Jalapenos, a cayenne variety, some habaneros, cherry tomatoes, and some strawberries I dug out of the garden. The strawberries had pretty good roots established, and should do well.

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I am just curious as my wife does the same thing but she can't explain not putting as much soil in the containers as will fit. I fill the suckers near to the top, just enough room for water.

Yeah, they are heavier, but there is that much more nutrient available for the plants.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am just curious as my wife does the same thing but she can't explain not putting as much soil in the containers as will fit. I fill the suckers near to the top, just enough room for water.

Yeah, they are heavier, but there is that much more nutrient available for the plants.
View Quote

It's more to do with the fact I only had a couple of bags of garden soil, and I didn't want to spring for more. The soil here is pretty hard clay, and I mixed in a bit of that. It's mostly frugality, although I make sure I give them enough room to grow solid root structures, and I fertilize as needed so I'm not super concerned about nutrients.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Picked up some cucumbers, crookneck squash, eggplant, and okra today.

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good job.

We just sold our 1/2 acre Florida house, and bought a house on 3 acres in South Carolina so we can have a "farmette".  

View Quote

Nice! I used to vacation in Hilton Head and when we would check out mainland SC, I loved it. I'm really hoping we end up snagging the place we're looking at. 6ish acres, a little pond on the property (small footprint but like 23 feet deep and full of catfish), a permanent garden area, horsebarn...... and best of all.... it's surrounded by farmland, so I can shoot my guns and not be dragged away in the night by the Peoples Republic of NJ Police
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 2:27:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#9]
For the first year ever, I've actually taken some steps to make sure my tomato plants grow in the best way possible. I cut the suckers off, as well as some leaves showing signs of early blight. Sprayed em down with liquid copper fungicide and figured I'd try to root the suckers just for giggles. Also started some bean seeds and spinach.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#10]
First jalapeno has started! I also got the strawberries covered up... no more fresh fruit buffet for the birds and squirrels.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Raised container for spinach and lettuce

Some survivor dill that was growing next to the patio

Blueberry bushes from years ago. Haven't done anything with them because I put them in a bed with too much shade and the birds always get to the berries. I pruned the dead growth and weeded around them in anticipation of bringing them along during the move.

Hopefully I can snag some of the berries before the birds to.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Finally processed the Dragon Cayenne peppers from last year. Just in time too, I ran out of crushed red pepper from the 2013 garden. Not a lot, but enough to tide us over!

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#13]
The plants are coming along nicely.

Cucumbers are starting to grab the trellis

First dragon cayenne pepper is growing!

Jalapenos

I'm really thinking this year I'm going to get a ton of tomatoes. With fewer plants that are less crowded, I can pay more attention to each one.

Strawberries have put out like 3 small berries, but the plants are getting a bunch larger, I think they've overcome the shock of being moved from the garden.

The tomato suckers are still alive, and it looks like a few of them are starting to perk up. Snow peas are sprouting, only one spinach sprout as of now.

And for something a little different, I added an anchor trolley to my kayak!

Bonus bass!
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I need to get me a fishing kayak.  Are they comfortable enough to fish from all day?
View Quote

Absolutely. The main advice I can offer it to make sure you like the seat and it looks comfortable. While there are tons of replacement seats and it's not hard to upgrade them with a pop rivet gun or a drill, getting one with a good seat off the bat is key. I like to press back into my seats, and that was fine at first, but eventually the buckles that hold the adjustment straps gave way, I assume due to the pressure and being in the sun all the time. That's the next thing I'm looking to replace. I like sit on top kayaks because mine is pretty stable, so I can switch positions easily but still be able to cast and get to all my gear easily. There are a lot of sales going on (at least near me) at Dicks, Sports Authority, and LL Bean on kayaks, so it may be worth picking one up for fairly cheap. Even if it's not perfect, it'll give you a better idea what you're looking for. half the stuff I replaced or improved I didn't even think of when I first got my boat.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Planted some green and wax beans. Interested to see how they do in containers
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#18]
In case any of you fellow gardeners are also into fishing... here's what I got into today

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#19]
http://i.imgur.com/qxCGUax.jpg

Dont do it !  Dont turn the kayak into a planter!
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Wild black raspberries are starting to ripen. I'm pretty sure our neighbors on that side have a farm for raising mosquitos...

First jalapeno. I harvested it on the small side so that more peppers can set.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Got the snow pea sprouts planted today. I left them in the direct sun too long the other day and they were pretty wilted, but I think they should do well.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice, will post some pics.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

BLASPHEMY! It's like a brother to me!

Quoted:
Nice, will post some pics.

Do it! I love seeing other gardens. Gives me ideas and helps me learn
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Disturbed some visitors while picking black raspberries

I'm using those berries to make liqueur. First step is infusing vodka.

This basil plant was growing between two pavers on the patio..... into crushed rock. How it looks this good is a mystery, but I thought its determination deserved being rewarded.

Green beans are sprouting

Wax beans too

If this is any indication, I'm going to be getting a ton of habaneros this season

A few days ago I thought I may have fertilized my strawberries wrong. Today they're sending out tons of runners and putting on flowers. I've got to trim those runners in the next day or so.

Dragon cayenne peppers are fruiting well too

Cucumbers are grabbing the trellis nicely, flowering, but all male flowers so far.

Squash is the only thing that's not looking great. Not terrible, but the leaves are yellowing. I think it's a problem with iron deficiency possibly from being in containers, and I just started adding an iron supplement. Anyone with a keen eye think it may be something else?

Tomatoes

Okra is small, but the first flower buds are appearing

And a little different, but I picked up this Gerber Flik multitool for fishing the other day. Gotta give it the thumbs up. Easy one hand operation, slick design. Only downside is they don't produce it anymore, I got lucky and found a brand new one on ebay for a decent price.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Wax beans

Snow peas

Green beans

Raspberries are still going gangbusters

The garden today
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Made some black raspberry jam

Don't have too much going on in the containers. Might have planted too many beans per container, or just let them get too dry... the leaves were a little crispy today. Squash have only put out male flowers. I wonder if the fertilizing has done something to promote that? I think being in near the pool is attracting less bees, I don't think as many flowers as usual are being pollinated, despite trying to do it by hand. I think something is getting to my tomatoes, fruit is disappearing right off the plant. On the plus side of moving, I don't really care about upsetting my neighbors with the .22 or shotgun, so anything I see near the plants is ded.

Came to a final agreement on our house, closing date is the 13th of next month. Gonna be doing a lot of moving stuff to storage units until we can move in to the new place around late August. The owners there are absolutely awesome, and they're going to let me transplant the blueberry bushes and as many black raspberry canes as I feel like. Probably going to pull a bunch of the weeds in their raised beds and mulch them. Got a busy weekend!
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#27]
The last week has been crazy busy. Got moved out of the house, into the interim apartment. Should be moving to the new house in Sept.
Here are some pics of the plants after the move.

First strawberries! I'm excited because in years past something always got to them before I could.

Bell peppers are coming along great

Habaneros are also doing well

Okra put on the first pods

The front porch. This is the one that gets the most light, but also the most restricted on space.

The rear porch. This is about as sunny as it gets.... which is to say not very. Hopefully these plants will fare ok....

Cucumbers finally got some fruit to set

Snow peas are going to produce a ton

The tomato leaves have been drying slowly, but by keeping the plants pruned, they're still pretty lively

Cayennes aren't putting on many new peppers...

The squash has done nothing but yellow on me. I may throw them away and use the pots to transplant our blueberry bushes.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Dug up the blueberry bushes and some of the raspberry canes
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Not too much of a harvest, but it's what I got!
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Finished up my black raspberry liqueur. Filtered it twice through coffee filters, and added some sugar syrup. It's a little more flavorful than Chambord, and about as sweet.

My snow peas died, spider mites and some sort of soil fungus or virus. Beans are starting to die too. There's some sort of ailment causing the leaves to wilt and die.

Can't pollinate the cukes, and my squash aren't making female flowers. Peppers are doing well, but not putting out any more blossoms, strawberries are still going strong.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Veggies from today. No idea if you guys are still interested, but the peppers have started putting on new fruit. Still having trouble with the cukes, even trying to hand pollinate.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Any homegrown veggies are best veggies. Good job keeping a small garden going even if you can't have it in the ground.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top