Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2016 10:00:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Something I saw today, not sure how good it is or if it will work well. Though the claims it makes look impressive.

Link to article
View Quote

Seen it, this idea has been around for a while. Hopefully something comes of it but just like the "Flow Hive", I am a glass half empty kind of guy...
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Where I live it is all about that wind power. And I would love to have one yet the city says I cannot have one. And I really think that is because they own the power company here and don't want to fuck with their money. Hell I cannot even put a small one up that is under 20 feet tall because they own the electric company. Just two or three of those and I would be set for all but a hand full of days that our breeze isn't 15-20MPH a year which very rarely happens. And that once a year with no wind.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where I live it is all about that wind power. And I would love to have one yet the city says I cannot have one. And I really think that is because they own the power company here and don't want to fuck with their money. Hell I cannot even put a small one up that is under 20 feet tall because they own the electric company. Just two or three of those and I would be set for all but a hand full of days that our breeze isn't 15-20MPH a year which very rarely happens. And that once a year with no wind.
View Quote

WAT???
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 3:03:42 AM EDT
[#4]
That's a very nice idea.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Comments section had a good idea for improvement: circuitry to monitor temp and activate servos to open top at proper time and temperature, start timer and then close top when appropriate.

Anybody good with Raspberry Pi?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a flow hive, but have not had time to try it out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:24:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Comments section had a good idea for improvement: circuitry to monitor temp and activate servos to open top at proper time and temperature, start timer and then close top when appropriate.

Anybody good with Raspberry Pi?
View Quote

Or get rid of the tech altogether and use wax pistons to control vents like greenhouses do.

Low tech is best tech
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#8]

The proponents claim "The
bee
brood is warmed during the treatment to up to 47°C (116.6°F) maximum
for a short period. Therefore the brood is not harmed. The combs are not
harmed, 47°C is perfectly safe."

Some counterpoints:

• "Temperatures
    exceeding 100 degrees F (38 degrees C) are usually the starting point for overheating."  http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/disorders/non-infectious-diseases-pests.html#overheated

• Professor Thomas Seely in "Honeybee
    Ecology: A Study of Adaptation in Social Life", reports that bee control of potential overheating in the hive begins around
    36 degrees C, the upper limit of brood nest temperature,
    and consists of bearding (adult bees leaving the hive and collecting on
    the outside), fanning, and evaporating water inside the hive.
    Temperatures in excess of 39 degrees C can severely disrupt brood
    undergoing metamorphosis.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lubbock?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holy shite.  Must be one of them NYers we shipped out running your gov't.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#11]
OST

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Before you take the plunge and spend a large sum of money on the thermosolar hive, you might want to read what some beekeepers think of it.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?325141-Thermosolar-Hive-the-new-silver-bullet&highlight=Thermosolar+Hive
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top