Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Check with your local ag extension. mine has classes about composting .. After taking a 2 hour class, mine will give each person a very nice composter for free. Mine is like your third link.

That should save you some cash.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I just pile it on the ground, turn it over, and keep it moist. Once I get a large enough pile I dump a bag  of fertilizer on it to get it cooking. I mostly just compost horse manure from a the corral that has accumulated over the winter, and tree leaves. If you want to keep it contained you can use a couple of T posts and some fence.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to have a bin made of pallets that I'd compost in.  Found it was easier to work things over if i just pilled it on the ground.  Every so often I'll roll the pile, so the top becomes the bottom and the bottom becomes the top.  

My current problem is ants in my compost.  I don't know what to make of that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Google image search "home made composter"

google image search "55 gallon drum projects"

If that does not work, go to the lexington container website and see if they don't have a pic of a 55 gallon drum being used as a composter.

Some pipe from lowes or home depot, or scrounged from somewhere, and a plastic 55 gallon drum will do what those things are going to do.

If you want it black, buy some paint and paint it.

I sort of do agree on making a pile and turning it yourself and what not, but the drum being spun would be simpler.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The previous owner built a two stall composter of treated lumber.  Basically would be about 2 pallets wide and pallet sized sides, fronts and divider.  I suppose he forked it over.  

I have a tractor with a loader.  I'd be better off to pile it on the open ground.  

I also add manure, chicken coop manure.   House hold garbage, chicken poop with pine shavings mostly.  I don't bother with the leaves.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're handy and have some basic tools for the price of the tiny composter from amazon,you could build a nice one that would last many years.......Here's a three bin composter I build a few years ago.My neighbor has a horse stable so I have access to all the manure/straw bedding I want.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two, a round one that you can roll on its stand to mix up the material, and a rectangular one with no bottom
the tumbler one works faster, although it also gets more sun and heat might play a factor. I moved the other one next to it today
the other one works too though it's just more of a pain to mix teh stuff up. When I moved it there was a ton of compost at the bottom, but unfortunately it was also a huge web of fine roots. It was on the edge of my property line next to an oak tree and some brushy stuff. Finding the root mess today was another reason I moved it

I usually mulch my grass with my mower but a couple times a year, especially if I find the composter is dry and mainly browns, I'll put the bag on it and put the grass clippings in. I also put some of the fall leaves in them. I also do vegetable waste from food, occasional stale or moldy bread, and coffee grounds. I don't put meat or fat scraps in though as I've heard that will attract rats, coons, opossums, etc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top