User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sorry.  Working on the tow vehicle.

Today I had planned to pull it over our built in vehicle lift (that's a ditch by the driveway in case you're wondering ) and drain the transmission and transfer case, and the axles, and refill with fresh fluids.  But I need backup if I'm going to be under a car draining hot oil, (that's our rule--neither of us does something like that without backup nearby) and uxb had to work late. So we'll see what time he gets home. I really need the trailer no later than the first of next week, so tomorrow I will probably visit the Lawrimore dealer again to see what he has on the lot.

Hopefully I will have pics of the trailer soon.

I the meantime...here is the tow vehicle in progress..

A sad state to be in:

http://www.fototime.com/CDCB94D65A824E7/standard.jpg

All cleaned up with refurb in progress

http://www.fototime.com/93BCA361A18596F/standard.jpg

Working on light sockets and restoring headlamps

http://www.fototime.com/17266641515F585/standard.jpg

Yeah...new belts and hoses are definitely in order...

http://www.fototime.com/52D96764BD7D3F0/standard.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any update Kitties?  

Bought a trailer, towed it home, enjoyed it so much you started a cross country shipping company?

Sorry.  Working on the tow vehicle.

Today I had planned to pull it over our built in vehicle lift (that's a ditch by the driveway in case you're wondering ) and drain the transmission and transfer case, and the axles, and refill with fresh fluids.  But I need backup if I'm going to be under a car draining hot oil, (that's our rule--neither of us does something like that without backup nearby) and uxb had to work late. So we'll see what time he gets home. I really need the trailer no later than the first of next week, so tomorrow I will probably visit the Lawrimore dealer again to see what he has on the lot.

Hopefully I will have pics of the trailer soon.

I the meantime...here is the tow vehicle in progress..

A sad state to be in:

http://www.fototime.com/CDCB94D65A824E7/standard.jpg

All cleaned up with refurb in progress

http://www.fototime.com/93BCA361A18596F/standard.jpg

Working on light sockets and restoring headlamps

http://www.fototime.com/17266641515F585/standard.jpg

Yeah...new belts and hoses are definitely in order...

http://www.fototime.com/52D96764BD7D3F0/standard.jpg

along with snorkel setup, light bar and heavy duty roof rack!
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Okay y'all--

I have a couple of questions for the experienced trailer owners.

1-What is a "setback" jack?

The trailers from my company that is the strongest finalist come standard with this.

I've done some internet searches and cannot find that term.  I can call the company or go buy and ask the old guy...but if you can tell me first, that would be great.

2-How do you SECURE your trailers?

I'd like to know how you individually do it, what you think of those little locks that go up in the tongue, how you chain it to stuff, WHAT you chain it to...tell me how you keep your trailers from walking?  

Apparently they're easy targets, and I'm going to need some kind of way to secure it when I first bring it home.  

I live off the road, so people won't automatically just see it. But experienced thieves know what to look for and I'm guessing they carry bolt cutters in their vehicles...so a chain isn't going to do an awful lot.

Tell me what you do?

View Quote
Never heard of a "setback" jack. Probably known as something else around here.

As far as theft, if they get close enough to steal my trailers, they have bigger things to worry about than my trailers
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Tractor by net and google say it is just a jack that is mounted further back than what used to be common.  Lets someone with an suv open their hatch but some folks are saying it interferes with mounting a locking box up front or something.

If the jack is bolted on, just get the trailer and you can move it or buy another jack later if it fits your needs better.  I get annoyed at folks welding the heck out of stuff and saying they do them all that way, cause I tend to not like what everyone else likes.  Except for bacon.  Bacon works.

As far as securing, I may or may not have covered some options.  Run a ton of searches and use google images for some of it because you want pics of how others do it.

Anything you are considering buying, run a search on it and especially check youtube.  It is like buying a masterlock and then watching youtube and taking an empty beer can to then open the master lock.  Locks are worth paying some money, but pay attention to how things lock and what matters.

Some of the stuff that goes in the ball receiver of the trailer breaks easily.  Some with one good hammer hit.  You could probably make or have welded up something that would work for yours if you thought about it.  But make sure that part does not just unbolt so they can take yours off with the lock and leave it behind while bolting a new one on and going on down the road.

Something locking up a tire is good, till they remove the tire and put your spare on it and drive away.

I think you said you were putting yours by a tree?  Big chain around the tree and through beefy parts of trailer frame is easy start.  Sure tree can be cut down or chain cut, but this is a start.

I generally do put one of the tiny locks on the lever for the trailer tongue and yeah they are stupid easy to break off.  But they are not removed as easily as a piece of old rusty wire and I know if I put it on or not cause I leave my keys in the lock when I undo it and that means I do not wander off without things hooked up right.

Also keep in mind the safety chains can be tied to a vehicle and the trailer stolen that way, so I would incorporate them in some way, I usually just wrap em around the trailer tongue frame and then put a lock through the chains.

I use the lock for the hitch receiver as well, they are not hard to bend and break, but they are going to have to be broken on purpose and once again I leave my keys in it if messing with it so I can't just drive off with a pin missing.  I keep a spare one that just uses an R clip or whatever to hold it in place but it is for if I break or lose the other one.  All this stuff tends to have different keys, I have a keyring just for trailer locks and padlocks and what not so when I talk about leaving keys setting that is what I am talking about.

If the tire rims have spokes, consider buying some coated cable with loops on it and looping it through a wheel and the trailer frame.  Wheel won't turn til it gets cut.  Amazon had some for a decent price not too long ago, I got a bunch cause coated cable just works when I don't want chain clanking on stuff.

All of this stuff is not hard to cut or disable so keep that in mind.

I would personally have paperwork on the trailer and crawl under it or something and mark it somewhere uncommon so you know it is yours if someone ever recovers a stolen trailer but the vin plate is gone.  Also run a search, I think the frame is stamped with the vin but heck some people cut that out as well.

Lots of folks park in front of their trailer so the vehicle needs moved to get to the trailer.

If the suv is mostly for towing the trailer, leave it hooked up and locked up to make it that much more difficult.

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Never heard of the setback jack either.

Insurance.

With battery powered disc grinders these days, short of reassembling your trailer in the house, I don't think there is an effective way of securing it.  Maybe camouflage with fake flat tires and a fake load of rotting garbage?  

I'd do a ship anchor chain but know I'd hook up and head off one day.  Twenty feet later trailer stops dead taking the rear half of my rig with it.

Paint it a gawd awful color on top of that powdercoat I know you want.  (See what I did there? )  Maybe cops would spot it easier.

Fenced area maybe?
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#7]
When i was moving from the city to the country I had a very nice enclosed trailer i had on loan from someone and I did not live in the best part of town what I did was lock the ball with a lock made sure it could not be slipped or jimmy rigged over the ball. then I used 1 log chain and wove it threw the spokes of the trailer from one wheel around the spring and threw the next wheel (tandem) then I did the same thing on the other side. I made sure the trailer was not parked in the open. and a pain in the butt to get out of the driveway. it took me about 15 min to unhook to use but it was worth knowing it was safe. if it was my own trailer I would have bought cable to use over log chain.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I lock my ball latch shut with a Master lock that has a long enough of a shackle, and I just run it in place of a normal pin.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/19891424

But you can also get actual ball hitch locks as well.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/15125814
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Okay now I can't stop.  If I could find a stencil of the Punisher and spray it on in hot pink with a bow like Hello Kitty...on the gate...

Yeah...people would be afraid.
View Quote

I like it!

I have a job box that I'm going to wrap with an old busted plastic water tank then paint RAW SEWAGE on the sides, possibly hang a sewer hose on it.  Maybe that would keep it from walking off of the trailer.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#12]

A set back jack is a jack that is not in the trailer coupler.  

Here is a picture of a bull dog style trailer couple with a spot for a jack:

The set back jack goes in a cross member welded into the v of the frame back from the coupler.  It tends to give quite a bit more room so that tail gates and SUV hatches don't hit it.

This trailer has a set back jack:

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Here is how thieves steal a trailer.

They back up to it, or if is small enough pick up the hitch and walk it to the back of their truck.  Run the jack all the way up so the trailer is as high as possible, then take the safety chains and twist them together until they are much shorter.  Hook the safety chains on their truck bumper around the ball.  Run the jack down back down and the trailer is left hanging.  Then they drive off...Total time is 2 or 3 minutes...

To prevent this:

1. Park the trailer in a hard area for them to reach

2.  Lock the coupler with a pad lock type coupler lock or just a padlock.  Make sure the padlock is long enough that the safety chains can be locked in the padlock too, right next to the hooks.

3. Secure the wheels.  A chain through them is good.  A boot on one is better.  Or even take all the wheels off on one side and put them back on when you use it.

If they have enough time, they can steal just about ANY trailer.  So cut down on their available time and they will skip it for an easier heist...

YMMV

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Dishonest people sure do make life a lot more complicated.

View Quote
I ran a wholesale construction supply for 20 years.  Every one of my customers had at least one trailer, some as many as 20.  Every couple of weeks one of them would tell me to be on the lookout for their stolen trailer...Lots of equipment stolen off of trailers too.  Even a 400 pound air compressor off one guys trailer while he and his guys were in a restaurant for lunch, and it was bolted down!
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#16]
So what did you get?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes.  Tongue weight will change depending on how far forward you load stuff.  I try to put the balance point of my load directly over or just forward of the trailer axle.  For a zero turn mower, the balance point is going to be maybe 6"-12" in front of the rear tires.  Somewhere around the discharge chute.  

One of the benefits of a longer trailer is that you don't have to be as exacting in your load placement.  The span from the axle to the ball is a lever.  The longer the lever, the less effect the load placement will have.  I hope I worded that so you can understand.  Hard for me to type out.  Much easier to explain in person with a trailer for example.  So I can wave my hands about and point at stuff.

You want 10%-15% of the total load on the ball (that includes the trailer), but not to exceed your hitch rating.  The idea is to always have weight on the ball. Even when going over humps and bumps in the road, but not so much weight to make the front of the vehicle lighter or exceed the hitch rating.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Okay...I'm starting to see that the A-frame trailers with full-wrap do more than just stiffen the trailer.  They also probably affect that lever you're speaking of--maybe make it more effective?  (And yes, I got it, the whole longer lever thing.  Thanks for explaining it.)

So the weight of my tractor-type mower.  I'm guessing that just like a car, most of the weight is gonna be on the motor end (in the front.)  I have to move the back end using my own power sometimes when I get stuck.  Can't do that as easily with the front.

So that means I need to either NOT tie down right at the front with the mower, OR I need to back onto the trailer. (I don't think backing on will be enough.)  

Does the weight of the trailer itself add to the tongue weight?  

This equation is getting more complicated.

Sounds like I just need to load some of my other stuff in the front, which makes more sense anyway, for what I'm generally going to be hauling.  I'll want the riding mower off first, and may not even need the wagon, etc, on a given day.

So I need to load all the little stuff on the very front end, then pull or back the mower up behind it.  Which means I won't be using the front tube of the trailer as a stop.  Dangit, that was my plan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  Tongue weight will change depending on how far forward you load stuff.  I try to put the balance point of my load directly over or just forward of the trailer axle.  For a zero turn mower, the balance point is going to be maybe 6"-12" in front of the rear tires.  Somewhere around the discharge chute.  

One of the benefits of a longer trailer is that you don't have to be as exacting in your load placement.  The span from the axle to the ball is a lever.  The longer the lever, the less effect the load placement will have.  I hope I worded that so you can understand.  Hard for me to type out.  Much easier to explain in person with a trailer for example.

You want 10%-15% of the load on the ball, but not to exceed your hitch rating.

Okay...I'm starting to see that the A-frame trailers with full-wrap do more than just stiffen the trailer.  They also probably affect that lever you're speaking of--maybe make it more effective?  (And yes, I got it, the whole longer lever thing.  Thanks for explaining it.)

So the weight of my tractor-type mower.  I'm guessing that just like a car, most of the weight is gonna be on the motor end (in the front.)  I have to move the back end using my own power sometimes when I get stuck.  Can't do that as easily with the front.

So that means I need to either NOT tie down right at the front with the mower, OR I need to back onto the trailer. (I don't think backing on will be enough.)  

Does the weight of the trailer itself add to the tongue weight?  

This equation is getting more complicated.

Sounds like I just need to load some of my other stuff in the front, which makes more sense anyway, for what I'm generally going to be hauling.  I'll want the riding mower off first, and may not even need the wagon, etc, on a given day.

So I need to load all the little stuff on the very front end, then pull or back the mower up behind it.  Which means I won't be using the front tube of the trailer as a stop.  Dangit, that was my plan.
You will have to find the balance of your equipment and your trailer.

It is ideal to have your trailer holding 85% of the weight and the rest being on the tongue, but if you have to choose, always be TONGUE HEAVY. If the trailer is not heavy enough up front, or the trailer is trying to pick up the tow vehicle, the trailer will fishtail wildly and be un-controllable.

And without scales, you will never know the exact percentage anyway.

I am probably stronger than you, but with lighter trailers I always give it a lift test. If I can lift the tongue of the trailer once loaded (and hooked up to the truck), it needs more weight up front.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#23]
My trick for loading the same item over and over is to make a chain just the right length.  Pull mower on trailer, hook chain to back of mower and drive forward till tight.  Then straps/chain the front and you're done.  This puts the load in the same spot every time.

I don't know if you mentioned it, but what make/model is your mower?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Want real numbers?  Go to an rv web site and run a search on tongue weight.  They use levers and a plain ol bathroom scale to figure it out properly.  In this case the levers are used to reduce the reading so the little ol bathroom scale will work for what it is doing.  I have never done it.  Watched youtube video of it and I would trust it, but I don't worry that much on these little trailers.

I watch the vehicle and pay attention to how the trailer pulls and watch the tires and overall just go with what feels good, looks good, and works good.

So for you with your unknown vehicle, here are some options.

If you have a helper with a known weight this is easier, but if it is just you and you know your weight you can do it.  With a helper I measure from the top of the rear tire to the fender lip.  With no helper, I measure from the bumper or hitch frame to the ground but pay attention to how smooth and flat the ground is.  Using a yard stick will help you do this yourself.

Anyway, measure with no one hanging on the back of the suv.  Now have someone climb on the back of the suv and measure again.  That much movement is from that much tongue weight.

If you have a helper you can both get on the back if needed to get enough weight, if I was there I can do too much weight all on my own.

When you drive your mower onto the trailer you will first see the back of the suv go up as the hitch ball is lifted by the tongue of the trailer going up while you go up the ramp.  Then as you move forwards on the trailer you will see things settle downwards.  

Even with my little tj I tend to load things all the way forward, but my trailer is small and the rear axle of the arv or riding mower is sitting over the axle of the trailer.  So it is not like all the weight is on the tongue of the trailer.  

For fuel cans, just run an image search on jerry can carrier or holder or gas can holder or something similar.  Then get that welder you want and get to work.  

I dislike having a trailer tongue box since all my trailers tend to be kind of short and the box size I want won't fit well.  So I will strap a box down on the trailer deck alongside the mower or atv if I need a box.  I keep the box out of the way of loading and unloading the mower or atv and if needed have several long and skinny boxes to use for this.  

Something to consider with your trailer having a large ramp on back is it helps lower the tongue weight.  You might be surprised how easy it is to pick up the front of the trailer.  

I do tend to try to lift the trailer, when I first put it on and attach it to the ball I lift it a few times to make sure it hooked on the ball properly.  Then when loaded I should be able to lift the tongue upwards somewhat without killing myself, but by no means do I want to be able to easily lift the front of the trailer while it is hooked to my vehicle.

I moved away from relying on this as much when I would be tired and not able to lift as much as easily.  It is awfully easy to not be lifting right and hurt your back when trying to move a couple hundred lbs around.

As mentioned, once you have the tongue weight you want you can set stops for the tires of the mower so it drives on to that point and you know to stop there.  If your straps are always used for the mower there should not be much need to adjust em once things are set up properly.

Make sure your tires are at the right pressure on the vehicle and trailer.  Depending on things they may or may not have a certain look to them with the weight on them.  IF they look different when the trailer is empty vs loaded, learn to check.  When low on pressure, they will look different again and you should know to stop at that point and check them.

I always look at tires when I stop while towing and I check all connections and straps as well.  If I am at a gas station I fill with fuel, go inside to use restroom or buy anything if I am going inside, and then when I come out I check things.  I don't expect anyone would undo something as a joke, but someone trying to steal something might have loosened something and I want to check it right before I load up and pull out.  Check it every time.  Have found a few things needed snugged down but reading stories of others has made me check every time.  If I am with someone, I check everything if I am driving.  In my opinion the driver is responsible for the load.  If I am riding with someone I tend to check anyway but I still tell em it is their responsibility since they are driving.  

On the gas can carrier, make one that has a way to secure the can with a padlock.  Gas is common to steal and it could still be siphoned out or a hole put in your can, but at least your can won't walk off.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey Kitties,

Any chance you have a barn or shed you could park the trailer in?  Obviously the more locks will slow someone down and make you less of a target than the next guy down the street, but I found the best deterrence is to not have it visible...and if that doesn't work, try to block it in with your tow vehicle.  Perhaps backed up to a tree and a fence, making it hard to move without moving your Trooper first.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#28]
here you go, I'm buying one of these tomorrow but 6 1/2 x 18 feet

BigTex
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 12:06:09 AM EDT
[#31]
For a quick and dirty tongue weight estimate, hitch your trailer on flat ground and have a big friend or two stand on the tongue near the hitch.

Measure from ground to some point on your bumper/receiver.  In the future you can just keep an eye on the measurement when you load the trailer.

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:09:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Honestly?  I won't be touchin' up anything.

The TSC wire mesh trailers have been in my face for two years, and I have not pulled the trigger.

I need a trailer that is built to survive.

I won't beat the shit out of it. But I won't be babying it either.  It needs to work, and keep on working.

I have no interest in a homebuilt trailer.  But I don't know how to recognize one.  Lack of fenders or "teeny weeny" tires..yeah, I would notice that.

Otherwise?  I don't know how to tell.

AND...what are name brands for trailers?  I don't see any brands at all on most of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would buy a name brand IF you can afford it you know what you are getting then. I've seen plenty of homebuilts with bent axles that eat tires. Led lights are great! And so are brakes dependinf on size.

I have been eyeing trailers for a while but have never pulled the trigger yet.

Also beware some of the discount TSC trailers can flex if not loaded correctly causing issues. And the paint on them is low quality so plan to touch up as needed

Honestly?  I won't be touchin' up anything.

The TSC wire mesh trailers have been in my face for two years, and I have not pulled the trigger.

I need a trailer that is built to survive.

I won't beat the shit out of it. But I won't be babying it either.  It needs to work, and keep on working.

I have no interest in a homebuilt trailer.  But I don't know how to recognize one.  Lack of fenders or "teeny weeny" tires..yeah, I would notice that.

Otherwise?  I don't know how to tell.

AND...what are name brands for trailers?  I don't see any brands at all on most of them.

The title will indicate home built or OEM.

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:09:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

SO...a kit for turning my lights into LEDs and sealing them up..

AND....a bucket of paint from Lowe's, with sand added,  to make my surface non-skid so I can load my mower when it's raining...

Do I have that right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't go!

I have questions.

Can I replace the regular lights with LEDs in some simple way?

And what is the way to properly seal up the wiring connections on a trailer?  Same as in a home? (that's what I know about)

What is "non-skid"?  

Is that something I put down on the surface?

Y'all are talking in code here...

You can buy entire assemblies, either online or at TSC. Amazon/eBay will be much cheaper than TSC! Or if you prefer, you can buy LED bulbs and use the existing housing. The housings are just held on with a pair of bolts usually, leaving you to just splice the wiring harness.

Heat shrink tubing is what you want to use to seal up your connections. Keeps water out, keeps it from corroding, makes it last much longer. Again, this stuff is usually cheaper online. I bought a bulk pack from eBay to do some wiring and its something like 50 cents for three feet of the stuff.

Non-skid is sold in different forms. I built a ramp for my shed and bought a gallon of paint from Lowes, I had them add the grit/sand to make it non-skid. It gives traction, think sandpaper or skateboard grip tape.

Just looking on eBay real quick, here is an example of the lights. A whopping $22 to never replace bulbs again:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bFEAAOSwZ1lWc8Sj/s-l500.jpg

SO...a kit for turning my lights into LEDs and sealing them up..

AND....a bucket of paint from Lowe's, with sand added,  to make my surface non-skid so I can load my mower when it's raining...

Do I have that right?

Changing to LED is well worth it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I love that. By watching my fenders and bumper, I'll know if I'm too far forward.  

I would also guess (as Rat_Patrol suggested) that being too far forward is going to be better than too far back.  Of course, I want both ends of my vehicle on the ground, so...getting it right makes sense.

But the more I look around me....you seriously cannot throw a rock without hitting a trailer.  A full 15-20 percent of the vehicles I see on the road around me are pulling trailers. I want to know about all of this stuff.    But it's clear that I don't need to freak out about it.  Taking out mailboxes with the wider trailer...yeah, I might still freak out about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For a quick and dirty tongue weight estimate, hitch your trailer on flat ground and have a big friend or two stand on the tongue near the hitch.

Measure from ground to some point on your bumper/receiver.  In the future you can just keep an eye on the measurement when you load the trailer.

I love that. By watching my fenders and bumper, I'll know if I'm too far forward.  

I would also guess (as Rat_Patrol suggested) that being too far forward is going to be better than too far back.  Of course, I want both ends of my vehicle on the ground, so...getting it right makes sense.

But the more I look around me....you seriously cannot throw a rock without hitting a trailer.  A full 15-20 percent of the vehicles I see on the road around me are pulling trailers. I want to know about all of this stuff.    But it's clear that I don't need to freak out about it.  Taking out mailboxes with the wider trailer...yeah, I might still freak out about that.

It is a rough guess to be sure and dependent on your suspension.  So add different weights(or more humans) to see how it reacts.  With stiff springs your rear end may not move much from 300 to 500 pounds of tongue weight.  

And yes, better to have a heavy tongue.  For your application though, unless you can pack your mower and ALL of the accessories, gas, containers and maybe a few hundred pounds of books into the front 4 feet of your trailer you are probably not going to overload your hitch.  

But you can definitely go to far on tongue weight, this is a Ford E450 with a bit too much tongue weight.  Almost had the front wheels in the air.    

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What are you doin' haulin' a fork lift with a bus????
View Quote

A: Yes.  B: It's all I had big enough to do the job.

Forklift is 10,000lb.  They loaded it with a bigger forklift.  The trailer fenders were in the way so they put it forward and then pulled it back over the axles to get the jack off of the ground.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#41]
That trailer sounds like it should work out well for you. I would definitely go with a dealer that you trust. I have had both tube style (Big Tex) and angle style (PJ) and I have been happy with both. For. My spare, I just run a cable lock through it. Even though I am pretty handy, I would probably pay the $40 to have them install the Gorilla lift. For me it would bevworth it to save time and avoid the hassle.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#43]
My trailer (PJ) came with the spare tire mounted on the side on a rack. All of the trailer tires have white spoked rims, so it is easy to run the cable lock through the spokes of the spare and around the railing of the trailer. As pictured, my Ranger is actually loaded too far forward on the trailer. This was when I brought the Ranger home. I had just bought it from a neighbor.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I would go angle iron. Not only can you bend it back, you can replace sections of angle very easily.

I would have them install the lift, and I am cheap.

Bias ply tires are fine. I run them on my horse trailer that sees interstate occasionally. Don't bother upgrading until you need to.

Don't sweat it over LEDs. Millions of trailers don't have LED lights. If I break a standard light housing, its a $5 fix. Not so with the LED.

If nobody mentioned it, consider picking up the flat 4 wire tester. You plug it into your tow vehicle wiring, and it has little LEDs to indicate what circuits are working or not. Worth the $10 for diagnostics when you lights don't work, confirms or eliminates the tow vehicle as a possibility.

If the lights ground to the trailer frame, I would either change that and run a wire up to the ground wire or at least make sure to paint over the connection (the two studs on the back of the light) if it isn't painted already. Grounding problems are the source of 95% of wiring headaches.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I may hit you up for more on this..

BETTER YET....when you wire your dump trailer, consider doing  a video and a tutorial?  Assume people know nothing?

There is NOTHING like that on youtube, and although there is lots of "how to wire your harness" stuff, none of it helps with basic understanding of how the whole thing works.

Your welding video was just excellent and you're a good demonstrator/teacher--and you're good with the video too.  

Right now I just need to get the freaking oil back in the transmission and transfer case on the tow vehicle.  I'm not even to the wiring harness yet.

Somebody a) stripped the theads on the transfer case drain plug and b) put ATF in both transmission and transfer case.  They both are supposed to take motor oil.  I had some small shavings on the cap so hopefully there are no bigger chunks floating around in there, and not too much damage has been done.

Yeah, dude who installed all this was of the "don't really care" variety, apparently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would go angle iron. Not only can you bend it back, you can replace sections of angle very easily.

I would have them install the lift, and I am cheap.

Bias ply tires are fine. I run them on my horse trailer that sees interstate occasionally. Don't bother upgrading until you need to.

Don't sweat it over LEDs. Millions of trailers don't have LED lights. If I break a standard light housing, its a $5 fix. Not so with the LED.

If nobody mentioned it, consider picking up the flat 4 wire tester. You plug it into your tow vehicle wiring, and it has little LEDs to indicate what circuits are working or not. Worth the $10 for diagnostics when you lights don't work, confirms or eliminates the tow vehicle as a possibility.

If the lights ground to the trailer frame, I would either change that and run a wire up to the ground wire or at least make sure to paint over the connection (the two studs on the back of the light) if it isn't painted already. Grounding problems are the source of 95% of wiring headaches.

I may hit you up for more on this..

BETTER YET....when you wire your dump trailer, consider doing  a video and a tutorial?  Assume people know nothing?

There is NOTHING like that on youtube, and although there is lots of "how to wire your harness" stuff, none of it helps with basic understanding of how the whole thing works.

Your welding video was just excellent and you're a good demonstrator/teacher--and you're good with the video too.  

Right now I just need to get the freaking oil back in the transmission and transfer case on the tow vehicle.  I'm not even to the wiring harness yet.

Somebody a) stripped the theads on the transfer case drain plug and b) put ATF in both transmission and transfer case.  They both are supposed to take motor oil.  I had some small shavings on the cap so hopefully there are no bigger chunks floating around in there, and not too much damage has been done.

Yeah, dude who installed all this was of the "don't really care" variety, apparently.
Double check that about motor oil in the transmission and transfer case. Ford called for ATF in transfer cases AND manual transmissions (at least for a while, don't know about the new stuff) because it gave better fuel mileage. I used 0 weight engine oil myself, but I would check into what is actually called for from the manufacturer. The synthetic 0 weight did require warm up in really cold winter mornings or the syncro was REALLY stiff

As far as wiring for the dump trailer, it will be an off-road trailer so I won't put lights on it. I'll try to remember to make a vid next time I wire something, or even repair some wiring. Actually, the horse trailer needs to be re-done, but probably won't be anytime soon...
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
UPDATE!!!

Tow vehicle is running and viable.

Trailer hitch harness is NOT viable.

That's tomorrow morning's project.  

Stand by for potential TRAILER ARRIVAL TOMORROW!!!!
View Quote

YAY!! bout time! so when you get your trailer can I use it I need one to use to get a riding mower
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top