BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I mentioned hogs to wife also.
She asked we would do with them.

Truthfully though, I'm not a big pork fan.
I love the Bacon, Ham, but pretty picky on the rest.

Hogs are supposed to be fairly easy to raise from what I've heard.

Not to fond of the strong porky taste. I'm guessing that a stronger taste on store  bought pork is how it was killed.

I've told her, I was going to get a few recipes online and buy a pork roast and see if i can season it up enough for us to like it.

I'll look into the chickens mentioned for meat birds.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Wanted to show a pic of our meat birds.

The barred rock looking thing is what we hatch. It is a mix of a barred rock hen and a freedom ranger rooster. Obviously, the franken bird is among our freedom rangers.

Notice the size. They are the same age, and almost identical in size.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Where are our chicken people???

How are the flocks doing going into winter??

View Quote
Well,

I'm getting ready to start re-locating my flock.

From the coop to the freezers .

last night, the people door to the egg layer coop somehow came open and I woke up to a free-ranging flock. They enjoyed it

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:11:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Where are our chicken people???

How are the flocks doing going into winter??
View Quote

... rebuilding after the bear attack...

Two of our own home grown eggs successfully hatched silkys.  I think our silkly rooster was predigest or just to slow, as it turns out the only fertilized his own bread, and the only fertilized eggs we ended up with were the little slikys.  The others were ordered.  I built a removable/ temporary partition to let our little birds start to grow without to much harassment.  We have been blessed with some nice weather for our little birds to start out in the coop before winter...  It was almost 80 degrees the other day!

-We only had two fertilized eggs in our incubator, and both hatched so 100% success on first try is pretty damn good IMHO.

We now have to silkys, a few barred rock, and a few araucana's...  We currently have barred rock, americana, and red star mix bread.

Oh, and our new rooster is starting to grow up:

We got him for free locally...  They ordered a batch of hens but ended up with two more roosters then they wanted.  We got one, but he died after being to stressed after the move, so I went back and got the other.  He didn't die, so his name is "Didntdie"  

---God photo bucket really sucks now...    Took me forever to get this post/ these photos right.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

---God photo bucket really sucks now...    Took me forever to get this post/ these photos right.

View Quote
Testing using dropbox as a new photo hosting point...

Should see a pic of my youngest enjoying the chickens

Nope, dropbox won't work

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Not getting any eggs, and haven't been able to free range them because a dog keeps killing them.

Haven't gotten a shot at the dog yet, but almost ran over it once. (It got into the trees before I could get it).
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Out of 5 laying age birds I'm down to one egg a day  not sure if the season change or what is going on, but a little frustrating just having a bunch of freeloaders
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Out of 5 laying age birds I'm down to one egg a day  not sure if the season change or what is going on, but a little frustrating just having a bunch of freeloaders
View Quote
Most likely due to seasonal change.

You can give them artificial light to keep them laying, but it "burns out" the birds faster. (ETA: 12-14 hours a day of a light bulb (I like to use a daylight bulb, just because. Put the light on a timer)

Winters are normally very slow for egg production if you leave them to their natural cycle

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You can give them artificial light to keep them laying, but it "burns out" the birds faster. (ETA: 12-14 hours a day of a light bulb (I like to use a daylight bulb, just because. Put the light on a timer)

Winters are normally very slow for egg production if you leave them to their natural cycle

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, I'm afraid that's what I'm going to have to do which will suck because the tractors aren't near electricity
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Just so you know, burning out thebirds is a real tthing. My batch right now just finishedrtheir 2nd full production summer, where I kept them goingboth ewinters. They are now ready for retirement, laying about 1 egg a day between all 4 if them these last few months.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yes, it is real.

I think most people  who want laying year-round plan on a two-year productive cycle for hens.

Of course, for me, that means my  home for geriatric chickens needs to be expanded, but a lot of folks get rid of them.

View Quote
Yeah, that is what we do as well. Our "retired" hens go in the outside coop (they get put back in the regular coop in winter) where they are 100% free range. I get a few eggs here and there, but they get picked off by the eagles, hawks, coons, etc. soon enough.

They just aren't worth butchering, honestly.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:32:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I attempted to process/ butcher one of our older laying hens and never again.  Way to much work for what you get out of it. Huge looking bird on the feather, but all said and done it equals about one of those small rotisserie birds you can get at Walmart ready to eat.  Only difference is the laying bird cooked like a thanksgiving bird was like trying to eat chicken beef jerky...  Not worth the effort.

I think free ranching natural selection is the way to go with layers.  Of course the predators never seem to get the ones that need to go  

---

A couple of my barred rocks are starting to molt.  They are getting put into isolation until they start to regrow feathers, one its cold out, two I don't want the other birds to start pecking at them...  Any suggestions other then separation?

---

Stupid predators got two this past week.  Council Tool Hudson Bay rules the roost.  Hard to get out of a coop that only has one door.  

---

Between a recent bear attack, and now hawk attack, my last few adults seem pretty stressed.  I guess that's the life of a chicken.  We have 15 chicks growing up, so come spring we should be back to good numbers.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Built a small, but very basic coop today.  This is secondary to our primary.  It will be used to separate any birds that need to be left alone for a while, or for raising new chicks.  Right now one of our molting barred rocks is going to spend a couple weeks on her own as she was getting pecked at by the others:

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Had time to butcher 4 roosters today.

I need a tub plucker. It takes me 20 minutes per bird, 15 of that plucking

Well, for next year anyway. Have 30 more to do for this year.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Had time to butcher 4 roosters today.

I need a tub plucker. It takes me 20 minutes per bird, 15 of that plucking

Well, for next year anyway. Have 30 more to do for this year.

View Quote

Did 3 more last night before I ran out of daylight. At this rate, I have 2 more weeks of this!

Seriously thinking of making a quick tub plucker. I could be getting a bird every 5-6 minutes done instead of ever 20-25 minutes . Also need an automatic filling/heating scalding pot badly. There is 5 minutes of waste in getting the water temp just right for every bird using the turkey burner.

I've always had family out in the past to help do this (and they did plucking, I did processing), but I didn't want to bring out my plucker on the drill I have setup (horrible mess), and the cost of the help was starting to exceed its worth (help was in exchange for some birds).

Since this weekend is dedicated to brush hog work, cementing in corner posts, and cleaning out and making changes in the barn, I can't take a whole day to process chickens.

Think I am off to order plucking fingers....
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#31]
What is everyone using for winter to keep water from freezing? I am looking at getting something this weekend and would like to know what works best and is least likely to cause a fire
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

What is everyone using for winter to keep water from freezing? I am looking at getting something this weekend and would like to know what works best and is least likely to cause a fire
View Quote

5 gallon bucket with chicken nipples in the bottom, submersible de-icer. Keeps water liquid down to as cold as we have ever gotten here.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:33:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

5 gallon bucket with chicken nipples in the bottom, submersible de-icer. Keeps water liquid down to as cold as we have ever gotten here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We just use a heated water dish.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#35]
can I get ya'lls input on the finishing out of my chicken coupe. its 8' wide 6' deep metal, with small raise able windows on the ends.
2" tube frame.  3 ft people door.

thoughts about the perchs or roost area/ height

nesting boxes size and material.  what wall.

my thoughts are to put the nesting boxes on  the 8' wall opposite the man door, sorry girls , people door bout 3 ft high so no stooping to gather the eggs. I have seen a pole or roost just a few inches in front of the boxes, I hope it will make it easier for them to get in the boxes and keep them from sitting on the lip of the boxes and crapping the box full!

not sure on the main roost or the height and number of openings.

thanks in advance
there are 13 or so birds
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Keep your roosts higher than the nest boxes.  Chickens will typically try to get as high up as they can to roost.  The dominant birds go to the top and the underlings tend to go to the lower roosts.  If your nest boxes are higher than the lowest roost often times they will sleep/shit in there.

I only have 4 birds but I have two heights of roosts, the lowest one you can see to the left of the picture, the highest one is in front of me when I took the pic.  The two roosts are only 3-4" different in height but that's enough.

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#38]
My son pulled this egg yesterday, never seen anything like it.  Anyone know what the cause might be?  All the birds look/act fine.
Not the best pictures, sorry.

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#39]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmfRMeU6pQ8[/youtube]

lol!
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

My son pulled this egg yesterday, never seen anything like it.  Anyone know what the cause might be?  All the birds look/act fine.

http://i.imgur.com/t1iAQBf.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/1hif3GR.jpg
View Quote
D

Don't see an issue in the pic, perhaps shell not perfectly smooth?

I wouldn't worry, but make sure they have choice calcium and a complete diet feed.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
D   Don't see an issue in the pic, perhaps shell not perfectly smooth?

I wouldn't worry, but make sure they have choice calcium and a complete diet feed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a rough surface, just a crap picture.  They are on layer feed and have crushed oyster shell available as well.  Maybe it was just an anomaly.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

It's a rough surface, just a crap picture.  They are on layer feed and have crushed oyster shell available as well.  Maybe it was just an anomaly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah

Natural products have anomalies. You have to remember that the fresh food you get in the store (like eggs, produce, etc) are only the best of the best, and a VERY HIGH percentage that isn't ascetically perfect are turned into processed products.

And don't freak out when there is a spot of blood in an egg. Happens.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#43]
good point about the bullying and the perch just outside the boxes.
the people door is an normal home door. 36 wide or 3.0 metal.
the coup outta outlast me

and the idea bout the differing heights make sense as well.

like the poop proofing roof to the nest boxes as well.!!

thanks

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Hard work pays off:

So much beast meat, I could barely finish one breast fillet!
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So much beast meat,...
View Quote

Very nice!

Sorry I had to quote the "beast meat" as it made me LOL.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Very nice!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So much beast meat,...

Very nice!

stupid auto correct
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Is anyone here up for a video of my one-man chicken slaughter assembly line? I've got it down to 1 chicken every 12 minutes on average, with no tub plucker or automatic scalding pot.

Reason I ask is that chicken butchering videos are kind of done to death on youtube.

OK, maybe a bad pun there
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top