Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/29/2015 10:46:37 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I'm in central Oklahoma, have have been hammered with an ice storm over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.  Recently moved to our current house in Feb. of this year, and we have a lot of trees on our property.  never needed to own a chainsaw before, as i could borrow a buddies little POS that got the job done for our 2-3 trees.  I think I now can justify getting a chainsaw, that will be used 4-6 weekends a year clearing brush, trimming trees, etc.

I believe I saw a thread on here awhile back about what/what not to look for in a chainsaw, but can't find it.

Please recommend me a weekend warrior chainsaw.  Not so much worried about price, but looking for a good quality saw that will last me the next 15-20 years.  looking at $300-500 price range.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Stihl is the way to go.  We use three of them on my farm for different jobs 14,16 and 18 inch bars.  They are dependable and start pretty easy if you follow the steps.  

MS251 is my favorite.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/homeowner-saws/ms251/
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Echo.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I logged for 15+yrs and ran a saw EVERY day, I'm not talking out of my ass here!  I'm gonna' tell you get a Stihl!  I'm also going to tell you the new Stihl's aren't built as well as the older ones!  But that goes for the other makers as well.  Buy bigger than you need, same as a farm tractor!  If you buy just enough saw, you're gonna' want/need more!  If you listen to nothing else I suggested, PLEASE, no matter what you buy, stick with the same BRAND NAME MIX OIL ALL the time!  Buy the good Stihl mix oil, NOT the environment friendly SHIT!  Be careful cutting out there, get some chaps and a helmet too!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I logged for 15+yrs and ran a saw EVERY day, I'm not talking out of my ass here!  I'm gonna' tell you get a Stihl!  I'm also going to tell you the new Stihl's aren't built as well as the older ones!  But that goes for the other makers as well.  Buy bigger than you need, same as a farm tractor!  If you buy just enough saw, you're gonna' want/need more!  If you listen to nothing else I suggested, PLEASE, no matter what you buy, stick with the same BRAND NAME MIX OIL ALL the time!  Buy the good Stihl mix oil, NOT the environment friendly SHIT!  Be careful cutting out there, get some chaps and a helmet too!
View Quote

^^^ This.
I ran an outdoor power equipment dealership for years that catered to professional loggers in the PNW. We had Stihl, Husky and Echo. Echo is for once in a while homeowners, Husky saws were good but nothing compares to a Stihl chainsaw.
Follow the advice on the premix oil and get real bar oil, not used motor oil. When you buy the saw have them make you a loop of non-safety chain too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]
My recommendation is to find which brand has the best dealer support in your area. I went with stihl because there aren't many places to take other brands to get fixed. I have a stihl ms251 that has been great for me.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#7]
251 is a great saw, if your only going to use it a few times a year you could also look at their "ranch" grade saws and save a little money. Also for your uses ensure you drain the fuel after uses if it's going to be more than a few weeks in between, ethanol is horrible on small engines.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a couple Echo saws.  If you are going to only own one saw, buy a bigger one.  You can use a bigger saw to cut small stuff but really can't use a small saw to cut big stuff....unless you are prepared to take a LOT of time.  

Echo, Stihl, and Husky are all good saws.  Pick the one you like that you can get the best deal on.  

I have a larger saw with a 20 inch bar and a small saw with a 14 inch bar.  I use the small saw much more than the big one.  It's so handy for small cutting jobs and trimming and limbing branches.

And, ethanol won't hurt your saw.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Husqvarna professional line if you want a serious chainsaw.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an old Husky 51 at least 25 years old that has been a great saw.  It is now in need of a carb rebuild due to ethanol gas.  I just recently purchased a Stihl 362 Professional with a 25" bar 2 years ago and a Stihl 170 Homeowner with a 12" bar.

I have a water stove and cut around 25 long bed pickup truck loads of hardwood per year.

Just like nice firearms, chainsaws are the same when purchasing.  Buy once, cry once.  A quality professional grade Husky or at least a Farm/Ranch Stihl are great saws.  I can't speak for Echo, no experience with them.  My 170 Homeowner that I upgraded the bar and chain to a larger gauge chain has been a great saw for general limbing and small trees.  My brother uses the same model at his Christmas tree farm.  The Lowes Warehouse brand Huskys are not worth it.  Not sure where they are made but have a few friends who have been let down by them. Buy a Pro-grade Husky.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

This. And learn to sharpen your chain and touch it up every time you fill it with gas.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:01:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Husqvarna professional line if you want a serious chainsaw.
View Quote
this^.  my guy says the 555 is the most troublefree.

i also looked at this one:

almost bought this one, which is a little more, but with more hp:

http://www.chainsawsdirect.com/Dolmar-PS-6400-20-Chain-Saw/p11865.html

that is, until i got my husky 55 back. for you, you might consider:

http://www.chainsawsdirect.com/Dolmar-PS-5105A-18-Chain-Saw/p11618.html

looks like not many dolmar dealers around okc. probably because there's not many trees.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:32:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Many winters in Montana...6 cords of pine per winter, pine

Husky 455 rancher...

lots more torque than a stil and that makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Husqvarna 545
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

lots more torque than a stil and that makes all the difference.
View Quote

Lol... meaningless statement is meaningless... That's like me saying a car has more torque than a truck. Sure, a dodge viper certainly has more torque than a ford ranger but lets compare apples to apples.

In all honest, after runnin saws for a LONG time, the Stihl vs. Husky vs. Echo vs. Dolmar are like Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge

They all have their pluses and minuses and different people prefer different brands for different reasons. I don't have anything against Husky or any other brand, I'm indiscriminate. That being said, as an inexperienced user, your best bet is Stihl.

1) They have, by far, the most advanced dealer network (help/service/parts/advice).
2) They have fewer "nuances" to the cheaper versions of their product. Some of the makers (I won't name any) have some cheap "big-box store" lines of product. You must educate yourself. While Stihl does have homeowner, occasional user, and professional levels of product, the product quality, usability, and parts availability remain consistent acrossed them all. Buying Stihl takes the guessing game out of that question.

IMHO my favorite chainsaw is my Stihl MS170... it's a small "homeowner" saw that has cut numerous cords of firewood for me over the years. It's lightweight allows me to cut for long periods of time without running me down, it sips fuel which means I can go longer between fuel/oil stops, and it's high RPM makes for some VERY quick cuts in small wood.

Chain-speed is the critical factor in small wood, torque is the critical factor in large wood.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Husky or Stihl.

I still have an old 18" Husky that has been beat to shit and still fires up on the third pull. I looked at a number of saws and wanted something large enough to cut some decent trees, but also be maneuverable enough through deadfalls and such. I heated my first house with just a wood burner and went through about 3 cords a year , give or take.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Poulin Pro !

Ran one for 4-5 years replaced it with a Stihl. Should have bough the Stihl the first time..
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Poulin Pro !

Ran one for 4-5 years replaced it with a Stihl. Should have bough the Stihl the first time..
View Quote

You were doing damn good to get 4 or 5 years out of a Poulan Pro

Watched a youtube video with a guy comparing a PP with a $100 Chinese import Ebay special.  The Poulan lost.

Hard to go wrong with Husky or Stihl.  My MS250 has served me well, and I heat with a wood furnace.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Watched a youtube video with a guy comparing a PP with a $100 Chinese import Ebay special.  The Poulan lost.

Hard to go wrong with Husky or Stihl.  My MS250 has served me well, and I heat with a wood furnace.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Poulin Pro !

Brought the Stihl home, estimated the small oak would take 1/2 day to fell, limb and cut up to 18" lengths. My Estimate was based on years of Poulin Pro use.

It took less then 1/2 hour with a good saw.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Poulin Pro !

View Quote

Some of the Poulan Pros are made by Husky, next time your in the store take some off the covers off you'll see the Husky emblem. I read on some other chainsaw forums when i was last shopping for one that the 50cc Poulan Pro had some pretty decent reviews for a budget saw. I however have never used one to compare.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're gonna buy new, get a Stihl MS261.

And by all means, get a stump vise and a Stihl 2-in-1 chain saw sharpener.  Sharpening a saw chain has a steep learning curve.  The Stihl 2-in-1 allows the novice to make a chain like new real fast.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Stihl or nothing at all

I run an 034 super
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:21:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry for the thread hijack, but does anyone know where I can find a screw for my 032AV where the ziptie is:

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sorry for the thread hijack, but does anyone know where I can find a screw for my 032AV where the ziptie is:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i183/agrisanti/96F42467-8138-4011-8C14-0795AD18BA76_zpsko2j0drb.jpg
View Quote

have you tried your local dealer? What screw goes in there? thread? Length? Head style?
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

have you tried your local dealer? What screw goes in there? thread? Length? Head style?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i183/agrisanti/96F42467-8138-4011-8C14-0795AD18BA76_zpsko2j0drb.jpg

Thats the problem.  It vibrated out at some point and I have no idea what the screw looked like.

I haven't tried the dealer yet.  I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of what size/type the screw was before I went out looking.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thats the problem.  It vibrated out at some point and I have no idea what the screw looked like.

I haven't tried the dealer yet.  I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of what size/type the screw was before I went out looking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try arboristsite.com it's like the ARFcom of chainsaws.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The dealer will pull the exploded parts diagram and give you the proper screw.  Will take less than 5 minutes from walking in to walking out.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The dealer will pull the exploded parts diagram and give you the proper screw.  Will take less than 5 minutes from walking in to walking out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^^^

Really man, go to the dealer. It will save your time and our time... It's more than likely a special screw that must be bought at the dealer anyways so even if we tell you what it is you're going to have to go to the dealer to get one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Or if you don't have a dealer close, look up the parts diagram. I think I might still have one actually. Someone gave me that same saw years ago, inoperable. I found a PDF of the parts diagram online.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Or if you don't have a dealer close, look up the parts diagram. I think I might still have one actually. Someone gave me that same saw years ago, inoperable. I found a PDF of the parts diagram online.
View Quote

Thanks for the idea.

I found the parts diagram.  Looks like its called a collar screw and I can get it on ebay for a few bucks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Stihl makes great saws and their dealer network is unbeatable. I have 5 full line dealers within 20 minutes of my house.

I have a 460, 362, 311 and 251.

Running chains from 16" to 28"

The 251 is light and handy for limbing and smaller bucking.

The 362 with a 20" bar will handle most bucking but gets heavy after awhile limbing.

The 460 is a beast and will fell a tree in no time.

I bought the 311 as an all around saw and quickly realized not one saw would do it all as well as having different tools for different tasks.

I have something like 80 trees I need to drop over the next couple years (screw you Emerald Ash Borer Beetle).

So having reliable saws with good service and parts availability is a must.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#32]
ABSOLUTELY and ONLY a Stihl, if you want quality and a saw that will last you a lifetime (with normal maintenance).
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#33]
This thread needs more pics....

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Husqvarna is my preference having cut for a living for 15 years. Stihl also makes a good saw.  I would go with whatever dealer near you offers the best support and service. Buy a couple of extra chains and learn how to use a file.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#35]
+1 on picking something with a close-by, full service, dealer...
(running a Stihl, my local John Deere dealer is also a full service Stihl dealer  - they have gotten a fair chunk of change from me over the years... )

Nick
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#36]
i hava a echo easy crank pretty good. Stihl is good but i would bring it in the house the night before they can be hard to crank  once its warm you cant beat it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I got a great deal on a Husqvarna 55 twenty years ago. It's done everything I've asked it to do without the maintenance it needed. I took it for a tuneup last month.

I always use brand-name mixing oil and bar oil. I never run it out of bar oil.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I got a remanufactured Poulan Pro 42cc 18" for $100. I've taken down two trees so far with it, one birch that was about 12" in diameter at the base, and one oak that was approximately 17.75" at the base. I really wished I had a bigger saw with that oak. Only problem I've had was that one of the bar nuts vibrated off, but that just took a trip to Lowes to pick up a new pair. Unless you've going to be doing a lot of clearing, it's probably not worth a Stihl or Husqvarna.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I got a remanufactured Poulan Pro 42cc 18" for $100. I've taken down two trees so far with it, one birch that was about 12" in diameter at the base, and one oak that was approximately 17.75" at the base. I really wished I had a bigger saw with that oak. Only problem I've had was that one of the bar nuts vibrated off, but that just took a trip to Lowes to pick up a new pair. Unless you've going to be doing a lot of clearing, it's probably not worth a Stihl or Husqvarna.
View Quote

You have purchased a Pull on Pro.  You will learn why soon.  When you get tired of pulling on it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Just note all the new saws have a computer that controls the caborator and stores the hours run and codes as to what is wrong soon the dealer can work 9n them.
Get a older model I think pre 2014 but you can look it up. I like both stihl and hquavarn
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
251 is a great saw, if your only going to use it a few times a year you could also look at their "ranch" grade saws and save a little money. Also for your uses ensure you drain the fuel after uses if it's going to be more than a few weeks in between, ethanol is horrible on small engines.
View Quote

Or mix your oil with aviation gasoline.  I've done it for years, and it works great.  I don't worry about about how long gas stays in the tank or carburetor.  I do it with chain saws, demo saws, string trimmers, backpack blowers and a jumping jack.

I have 2 big Stihls,  I bought their smallest saw, and that's my favorite now -- the one I use the most often.  I also have a McCulloch Pro Mac 610.  It still starts and runs okay.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#42]
I vote for stihl or Husqvarna...  Both are good to go so long as you have some local dealer support like others mentioned.  I completely rebuild them myself so its not a huge issue for me.  I use husqvarana just because that's the brand of the first saw that was given to me.  Otherwise its no different then "chevy vs ford."
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm looking at the Shihl 251, and see that there are two versions of it at my local dealer, MS 251 C-BE, and MS 252 Wood Boss.  Without getting the sales pitch, do any of you guys know the difference?  

(add:  yes, this is replacing a Poulan Pro 1842 that lasted a few years, now I've seen the light)

Thanks,
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm looking at the Shihl 251, and see that there are two versions of it at my local dealer, MS 251 C-BE, and MS 252 Wood Boss.  Without getting the sales pitch, do any of you guys know the difference?  

(add:  yes, this is replacing a Poulan Pro 1842 that lasted a few years, now I've seen the light)

Thanks,
View Quote

C-BE has the quick chain adjust on the saw. The wood boss does not. When i bought my 251 the mechanic at the dealership told me to stay away from the quick adjust.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just note all the new saws have a computer that controls the caborator and stores the hours run and codes as to what is wrong soon the dealer can work 9n them.
Get a older model I think pre 2014 but you can look it up. I like both stihl and hquavarn
View Quote

Not all the new saws, and the ones that do are just there as an obstacle for user level repairs IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I believe 99%of them do epa rules just had a class about it stihl makes sells to others.
http://m.stihlusa.com/products/technology/stihl-m-tronic/
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Last year I went all out and bought a Stihl MS461 with a 24 and 36" bars and chains. I had been running a small Husky that I bought in 1989. My bud was gonna cut down some big trees and we needed something to handle it. That damn son of a gun is a hoss. The first time I cranked it I almost crapped myself . I popped it at cold start. Then moved it to warm start and hit it. That thing reved up so fast it almost got away with me before I could blip it to run. I have a butt load of respect for that monster and guarantee it won't be started between my legs anymore especially without chaps. Hind sight tells me I should have gone for a couple notches smaller and still may sell it for something more managable.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#48]
I cut a lot of wood. About 15 cord a year.  I started with a small stihl 251 I think then got a 360. But  since I cut so much wood I needed a professional saw so I said screw it and bought a ms660 magnum! It is a monster but is my favorite saw! Starts every time and has so much power! With a skip tooth chain it goes through anything in a hurry! I would recommend buying one size bigger than you think you need!
  On the other hand my dad wanted a one handed saw cus he's getting old and he didn't want to spend the cash for a stihl. He bought an echo one hand saw. It has worked perfectly for along time now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#49]
dad has a small 16" bar polend and its been fine for what he uses it for. kind of the beat up and take it till it brakes but its been doing fine. he also has a bigger husqvarna rancher 455 that he uses on th big stuff and that thing is a tank. just make sure you get one of the better brands and all should be good and make sure you get good chains and lean to sharpen them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Just finished my first season with the Husky 562xp.

Really an awesome saw. It winds out and pulls itself through 24 inch oaks like nothing.

If you stick to stihl or husky you're good to go.

I went with the husky because it was lighter and had less vibration than the comparison model stihl.

My dad uses a stihl farmboss, excellent saw but heavy for what it does.

My limbing saw is a poulan farmhand 2900, it has probably cut 100 cord and still performs great. Though the new poulans are garbage.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top