Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 8:14:41 PM EDT
Hey folks. Next year I'll be starting a small garden (25x50) in our backyard. I've always had one growing up and it's about time I started my own. I put a few inches of mushroom soil down and added organic matter though out the summer: a little peat moss, grass clippings, etc. It was just tilled this weekend and looks great. The problem is the tiller only went down about 8-10".

I plan on growing lots of tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, beans, and some potatoes and carrots. My plan is to add another layer of compost from the chickens in along with some more manure possibly and till it again in the spring. My biggest question at this point is should I take the 8-10" layer that's tilled off of the area to till another 8-10" down then back fill giving me close to 1.5-2 feet of tilled soil? I really would prefer to do a raised bed method but I'm not sure a double tilling is necessary. Alternatively, I could make raised rows to build a few extra inches of tilled soil. Any feedback would be appreciated. I just want to make sure I set myself up for success next year. Thank you for your comments.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you are good at that depth unless it is like hardpan below that

mine was in 55 gallon barrels cut in half.

mixed in some good dirt and compost  but they are in the only spot in my backyard that gets some sun

only about 6 hours a day and it isn't enough so not much grew

next year I am ripping out some hedges in my front yard and building raised beds. this area gets sun all day

live and learn, glad I didn't have to live on what I grew

so I am no expert and will be watching this thread for more answers
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a copy of The Vegetable Gardener's Bible and follow the author's advice on soil and row prep (along with everything else he writes).

I've been following his writings and it's made a huge difference in vegetable output and quality.

In answer to your "biggest question" ... Get a broadfork

The short answer is a tiller disturbs the soil layers too much and creates hardpan (which is bad). The microbes deep in the soil are supposed to stay deep in the soil and the worms will be much happier without a tiller coming through disrupting them.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a copy of The Vegetable Gardener's Bible and follow the author's advice on soil and row prep (along with everything else he writes).

I've been following his writings and it's made a huge difference in vegetable output and quality.

In answer to your "biggest question" ... Get a broadfork

The short answer is a tiller disturbs the soil layers too much and creates hardpan (which is bad). The microbes deep in the soil are supposed to stay deep in the soil and the worms will be much happier without a tiller coming through disrupting them.

View Quote

I completely forgot I have that book! Ordered it about two years ago per someone's recommendation. That's where I saw the raised row concept. I'll definitely have to review it over the winter. The broadfork looks like a great tool from a brief google search I did. I may end up tilling once more in the spring only because the soil was less than acceptable to begin with and I feel it needs be completely reworked. Time will tell I suppose. Thank you very much. That was very helpful.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep in mind that the more you to amend the soil over the fall and winter the better it will be during growing season.

I keep a compost pile in the backyard that yields a few yards a year. Come fall I spread the compost in the rows along with some pelletized lime, coffee grounds from the local java places, chopped leaves and rabbit manure. I hoe it in a little, but basically leave the majority of it sitting on top of the soil.

I then mulch the rows with at least four inches of straw (be sure to use straw a couple of years old or it will start sprouting) and leave it like that over the winter.

When I rake the straw off the rows in the spring the compost and everything has broken down and is ready to start growing things. I use the broadfork to loosen the soil which is a little compacted from the winter, but otherwise the soil is ready to go as soon as the weather warms up. We have worms that make baby snakes look small.

The straw that was on the rows is now used in the pathways to control weeds. It breaks down after a year or two so there's no major buildup of it.

With regards to chicken manure ... I read some time ago that chicken manure needs to age for at least six months before being used in gardens. The nitrogen content is too high and will burn plants (small seedlings especially). We have chickens and ducks and all their manure goes into the compost pile.

Rabbit manure is different and can go directly around the plants without burning.

Our main garden is 30x50 and it's amazing how much food can be grown from it. Especially if you do a second planting of things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top