Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2015 5:18:02 PM EDT
I have an aerator septic system and that keeps failing. Each of the 3 major parts are $500 to replace and I'm on my second pump in less than a year. Clay soil is the reason for no leach field.

Will a cheap water pump from Harbor Freight work with a simple on off switch? Obviously manual and would need to be monitored and pumped daily.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Was the current set up done with a permit? If so what were the results of the perc test. Reason I ask is if you are going through pumps at their current cost, it may be just cheaper to spend the money on an overbuilt field.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
More Paper plates!
Crap at Neighbors house?
Shower at work? use a laundry mat? Move?
or overbuild the system so it can't fail.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:09:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Saw dust toilets and grey water.

Waste from the toilets gets composted into humanure and the grey water from sinks and showers drain into mulch pits.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:25:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Wife won't let me build an outhouse. New neighbors downhill might not like a drain field coming into their yard. Could be tank needs to be sucked. Solids might be high enough to suck into the pump.

I did find a burnt wire in the control box. The $500 control box. They can build a cell phone that talks to the other side of the world for $10 bucks but it takes a $1500 set up to pump water.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:41:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Had to drain the tank tonight so I used the water pump from my kids pool. Worked great but had to prime the pump to get it to work. The inlet from the pool is elevated so it self primes. Had to hold the outlet up while I filled the inlet hose with water. Once the pump started, I put the inlet side into the tank and away it went.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#7]
We have a lagoon.

No stink, absolute minimal maintenance.

May be an option?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:04:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Fame and fortune await the man who invents an inexpensive, effective, and safe septic solution for remote locations.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top