Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2015 12:28:37 PM EDT
I bought a Rubbermaid 100 gallon stock tank and discovered it doesn't come with a cap to seal the outlet.  Anybody know what size or whether they're pretty standard sized?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the 300 gal use a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" plug, we use a  PVC one.
Can check tomorrow
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I learned on the rubbermaid site that it is 1 1/2" in diameter, but it doesn't say the thread pitch. Are they pretty standard?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I learned on the rubbermaid site that it is 1 1/2" in diameter, but it doesn't say the thread pitch. Are they pretty standard?
View Quote

Yeah, should be a standard pipe thread... Go to home center, find 1.5" PVC and look for a clean-out plug... Or you can get fancy and use a 1.5"x3/4" threaded bushing and the. Install a 3/4" spigot valve to ease emptying
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a bunch of the 50 gallon ones. Love them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
NPT: National Pipe Tapered is a standardized thread for 99% of all threaded pipe fittings you'll find in the US. The other 1% are going to be NPS: National Pipe Straight (not tapered so they don't self-seal in all circumstances)...

Any pipe fittings you find at a hardware store should be marked NPT. Very rarely will they ever have NPS, and the only other fittings they will have are for special connections (flared fittings, gasketed fittings, garden hose thread, etc) and they are usually marked as such...
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#7]
The Rubbermaid stock tanks are made of structural foam.  How do they stand up in freezing weather?  I'm in Colorado and we get snow and sub zero temperatures.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Rubbermaid stock tanks are made of structural foam.  How do they stand up in freezing weather?  I'm in Colorado and we get snow and sub zero temperatures.
View Quote

I used one in Michigan for several years.  Put a 1500 watt heater element in it and it kept the water thawed in -15degF temps.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the tip about the water heater.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top