Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 104
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
What did you use to do this? FEL? I need to do this soon, and I'd love to know how you got it so flat and smooth. My test runs with the FEL have been.... Lacking

Link Posted: 3/29/2016 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By cucamelsmd15:
What did you use to do this? FEL? I need to do this soon, and I'd love to know how you got it so flat and smooth. My test runs with the FEL have been.... Lacking  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cucamelsmd15:

FEL, 1 st gear, 4 wheel drive.  

Get the bucket flat then drop it a couple a degrees and lower it down to depth.  Nice and slow and you can get a full bucket before too long.  Be very careful adjusting the bucket when you are rolling.  It is easy to dig in and take out a big gouge, or to have it rolled back and just skid across the surface.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The Cub got a ride back to the house yesterday.  I needed to do some work on stuff, and it's easier and a heck of a lot more convenient when it's in the garage and not 20 miles down the road.  

There was some blow-by smoke coming out of the oil fill cap, which the interwebs says is likely due to a clogged breather tube between the air cleaner and the block, so I started pulling that off.  Seems that somebody forgot an important part of an oil bath air cleaner...

I couldn't get the breather tube off without pulling the whole air cleaner assembly off, so I soaked it all overnight in some water and dish soap just to clear all the gunk out.  

I think whoever repainted it last forgot to degrease before painting too, since it all started peeling off.  So I'll get to find out how close the "Farmall Red" at Fleet Farm is when I get back from drill this weekend. I was meaning to find out anyway!
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By optimus:
The Cub got a ride back to the house yesterday.  I needed to do some work on stuff, and it's easier and a heck of a lot more convenient when it's in the garage and not 20 miles down the road.  

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j195/optimus_prime_1983/20160331_101956.jpg

There was some blow-by smoke coming out of the oil fill cap, which the interwebs says is likely due to a clogged breather tube between the air cleaner and the block, so I started pulling that off.  Seems that somebody forgot an important part of an oil bath air cleaner...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j195/optimus_prime_1983/20160331_105057.jpg

I couldn't get the breather tube off without pulling the whole air cleaner assembly off, so I soaked it all overnight in some water and dish soap just to clear all the gunk out.  

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j195/optimus_prime_1983/ff221d70-6920-4d8e-9d5b-874c6249f1ec.jpg

I think whoever repainted it last forgot to degrease before painting too, since it all started peeling off.  So I'll get to find out how close the "Farmall Red" at Fleet Farm is when I get back from drill this weekend. I was meaning to find out anyway!
View Quote

I really dislike oil bath air cleaners just for the simple mess it makes esp if you are on any searious incline or something, My first car 1951 ford with flathead v8 had one and that damn thing held about 2 quarts of oil. the next powerplant it gets wont have a oil bath
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't mind it, I just know they work better with oil in them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a "tractor" per se, but I saw an old Gravely still working hard keeping SLC clean

" />
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is a cheater bar!  Nuts holding on blades were torqued to 450 foot pounds.  Were a bitch to get off!

" />
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#8]
" />
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#9]

we have a brush mower that you can extend about 18 feet and in order to work on it you need to fold it up so its a real pain in the butt to get the 450-500 ft lbs when you have to do it on its side tucked up to a tractor lol
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Spread some fertilizer on the hay fields 2 weekends ago... $970 later I got finished up with 25 acres and dropped off the spreader at the salesman's farm only to discover my left rear wheel was slipping off the axle
on my Farmall 806. The wheel and rim are held in place with a clamp with a U shaped bolt that must not be torqued down correctly, so, that'll be on my list of things to do next week along with seeding some ground I
worked up with the disc for more hay field.  I'll post some pictures of the repair process, and the seeding when it happens.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool, love me some '06 series IH tractors!  Biggest tractor I ever drove was a 706, when I was like 10 LOL
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#12]

I have the Land Pride RCR 2584. It's a beast!!

I don't look forward to doing this though after seeing these pics!  Lol
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GAhunter95:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GAhunter95:

Mine is a little smaller, it's a 2572.  You need a big ass cheater bar and a 3/4 inch drive ratchet with the appropriate socket (think it's a 1 and 1/6 socket or something oddball like that).
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Put the air cleaner back on.  The paint I found was 'close enough.'

Also getting sick of this snow...
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#15]
No pictures but I used backhoe to dig out some tree stumps yesterday maybe I will take some pictures of the aftermath
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Not a tractor, but changed the blades on the mower today.  I do it twice a year and there's always a mess under there.  I've only mowed once this year so most of this is last year.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By LOW50S:
No pictures but I used backhoe to dig out some tree stumps yesterday maybe I will take some pictures of the aftermath
View Quote

Same here...only about an acre and a half left.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/user/sea2summit1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpswfu7j5gz.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/sea2summit1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpswfu7j5gz.jpeg</a>
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/user/sea2summit1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpswfu7j5gz.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/sea2summit1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpswfu7j5gz.jpeg</a>

dang I like that kubota way more than the deere I get to use its a old girl but works. Today I used it to clean our burn site out. scoop it up drive 1/2 mile threw the field to dump then repeat.

I have been picking rock past few days for my FIL using a Deere 4840
and recently got to fart around with a big case 9280 getting it ready for field work.
also had to repair the door on the case and replace an alternator on one of the 4840 in the fleet
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:28:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#19]

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Chopped up 20 some rows of pruned Canes..in reverse, until my neck "Stuck like that" just like Mom warned.

I really gotta get a tractor with a front PTO one of these days, or a swivel seat in the Deere.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I know this is a little larger than the typical tractors in this thread, but today we had a little incident.  While transporting our planter today a dual came off of our Case iH 7220.  Fortunately no one was injure or anything damaged.  The rim will have to be replaced.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:09:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#24]
is that stand for the deck built into the deck? or is that something they sell you secondhand?
View Quote

the maintenance axles for my kubota's MMM (mid-mount mower) deck were purchased from a third-party.
they consist of a pair of steel axles and a total of 4 wheels.
the maintenance axles temporarily replace the rear (trailing) anti-scalp wheels, and when in place allow you to stand the deck up.
they are held in place by the same means that you adjust the height on your anti-scalp wheels (typically a cross-pin and retainer).
when you are done storing or working on the deck, you tilt the deck over, remove the maintenance axles, and re-insert the anti-scalp wheels.

in practice, it helps to tilt the deck over onto a small pile of 2x6's such that the rear of the deck is supported by the wood.
this makes it easy to remove the maintenance axles and such.

see
http://moweraxle.com/tractorstands/kubotastands.html

that same company makes them to fit kubota, deere, and other brand MMM decks.
http://moweraxle.com/photos.html

in fact, i would think that you can call those folks and they would mix-and-match parts to fit ANY MMM deck.

i use the maintenance axles to store my deck vertically during the winter, and obviously to facilitate working on the deck (like greasing, changing blades, etc).
they really make working on the deck at least 87 times easier and i very much recommend obtaining a set (either commercial version or DIY).

you can also make a pair of stands if you have suitable machining equipment and some time on your hands.

ETA
not all MMM gearbox seals are created equal.  some folks on TBN have reported seeing a few drops of oil under the jackshaft when the MMM is stored vertically.  i have not had this problem, but if you scroll back in this thread you will notice the pair of paper towels pre-positioned under the jackshaft when the MMM is in it's storage position in the shed....

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:18:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#25]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
Tell me more about those high lift blades.
View Quote

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/oep/g6.htm

for me, on my tractor with my grass, they cut GREAT.

ps for BX owners with 54" MMM decks:
you want Oregon PN 396-812 -- this blade fits the standard version of the 54" RCK54-23BX MMM. note: it will not fit the Fine Cut version of the 54" MMM, as that model has different blade spindles.
http://www.baileysonline.com/Landscaping/Lawnmower-Blades/Oregon-Gator-Mulcher-Mower-Blades/Oregon-G6-Gator-Mulcher-Mower-Blades/18-65-G6-Mower-Blade-for-Kubota-7-8-Arbor.axd

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By IronKnight:
I know this is a little larger than the typical tractors in this thread, but today we had a little incident.  While transporting our planter today a dual came off of our Case iH 7220.  Fortunately no one was injure or anything damaged.  The rim will have to be replaced.  

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/IronKnight_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/20160417_163016.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/IronKnight_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/20160417_153508.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/IronKnight_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/20160417_154458.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/IronKnight_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/20160417_154659.jpg
View Quote

Just because you do real work with real tractor doesn't mean you can't post here

Would love to see more
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Buffed it, knocked dents out, fixed lights, fixed power steering, and took off loader until cylinder is fixed.

Bushhogged all day sunday

Not a bad deal for $4k with a trailer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MateFrio:
Great deal.
View All Quotes

Yep.

How did the fluids look coming out of it?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By bigshooter81:

Yep.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigshooter81:

Yep.

Like never been changed ever.
Filters were destroyed. Oh well should last long enough to get my moneys worth.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By IronKnight:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/IronKnight_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/20160417_163016.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/IronKnight_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/20160417_153508.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/IronKnight_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/20160417_154458.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/IronKnight_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/20160417_154659.jpg
View Quote

Holy crap, glad no one was hurt!  Sweet tractors!!  Moar pics!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Jesus, that thing has had a rough life! Still a good buy though! I hope it last you a while.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Where did you come across a deal like that one
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By louisianarebel:
Like never been changed ever.
Filters were destroyed. Oh well should last long enough to get my moneys worth.
View Quote

I just bought a 1610 iseki  engine oil and hydro looked ok..........but the transmission light chocolate milk .   Never will understand why people can't or won't do the basic stuff.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:17:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IronKnight] [#36]
Some random pics of our equipment for our hobby farm.

ETA: The road gear is broken on the Farmall 300, so we fixed it by attaching a hitch and drag bar.

From last spring.

Christmas 2012.

Grainception!

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Crackheads grandpa died and likes drugs more than tractors.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#38]

So jelly. Wish I was born a farmer.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Damn I wish I had some crackheads in my area with deals like that
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#40]

What model Case is that in the fourth photo?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Took my dad's Farmall 400 for a joyride.  RIP dad

" />
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't have any pics, but I am amazed at how many tasks one can use a grapple for.

I (don't ask why) for some reason disconnected my tiller under the porch instead of the shop.  It is so uneven on that side of the house where it slopes away I could never have reconnected it.

So after chewing on my stupidity a bit, I decided to neck up and just grab it.

It was pretty cool lifting that 6ft tiller with my loader and backing it out to level ground.  For those of you who don't have a grapple, I highly recommend one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:13:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IH1026] [#43]
Originally Posted By HKH:
I don't have any pics, but I am amazed at how many tasks one can use a grapple for.

I (don't ask why) for some reason disconnected my tiller under the porch instead of the shop.  It is so uneven on that side of the house where it slopes away I could never have reconnected it.

It was pretty cool lifting that 6ft tiller with my loader and backing it out to level ground.  For those of you who don't have a grapple, I highly recommend one.
View Quote

Slip on pallet forks, or chain hooks welded on the top of a bucket are the poor man's grapple...  

ETA; On page 10 of this thread there's a picture of a large loader bucket on a snowy road that has 2 chain hooks welded to it on either end.  They're EXTREMELY useful, and I'd recommend it to anyone with a front end loader with a bucket.  We use them at work for everything from setting inlet tops in the ground to pulling out stuck vehicles.  I'll get some better pictures on Sunday.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By IH1026:
Slip on pallet forks, or chain hooks welded on the top of a bucket are the poor man's grapple...  
View Quote

yup, i brought my tractor home with hooks welded on the bucket.  I then proceeded to weld hooks on everything  Can't have enough hooks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#45]

ETA; On page 10 of this thread there's a picture of a large loader bucket on a snowy road that has 2 chain hooks welded to it on either end.  They're EXTREMELY useful, and I'd recommend it to anyone with a front end loader with a bucket.  We use them at work for everything from setting inlet tops in the ground to pulling out stuck vehicles.  I'll get some better pictures on Sunday.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By HKH:

Chain hooks should really be standard equipment.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I recently finished rebuilding the 18hp Onan on my newest tractor. Previous owner did god knows what and broke a con rod, had mud in that cylinder as well but the other was perfect. It still ran on just the one cylinder BTW, luckily the dead one had no damage from when the con rod broke, two small spots of light pitting from the idiot just leaving it as is for as long as it took to sell it. But it cleaned up nicely after a hone job.

*shrugs* nearly $800 invested in the complete rebuild and some other fixes, like new front tires and rims, battery, belts, led headlights and such. Now it purrs like a kitten!

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By cuttingedge:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Little tractor did a bunch of box blade work leveling out some areas where I've been digging out a bunch of stumps then did some cleanup chores to add to the burn pile.

Big tractor relocated the greenhouse, unloaded a pallet of lime, and executed a frisbee recovery operation.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#49]
The big tractor exploded, had to drag round bales around with the little one.

A little bit of a pain, but it worked, the tractor didn't seem to mind.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By One_Eyed_Willy:

I recently finished rebuilding the 18hp Onan on my newest tractor. Previous owner did god knows what and broke a con rod, had mud in that cylinder as well but the other was perfect. It still ran on just the one cylinder BTW, luckily the dead one had no damage from when the con rod broke, two small spots of light pitting from the idiot just leaving it as is for as long as it took to sell it. But it cleaned up nicely after a hone job.

*shrugs* nearly $800 invested in the complete rebuild and some other fixes, like new front tires and rims, battery, belts, led headlights and such. Now it purrs like a kitten!

http://rs103.pbsrc.com/albums/m148/cue-ball2005/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160422_110456789_zps3oaqhfgc.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip
View Quote
Gotta love the old iron!

Page / 104
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top