Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there a maximum temperature for planting carrots?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

looks like when you get above 90 the germination rate drops significantly. 104 = zero germination

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
looks like when you get above 90 the germination rate drops significantly. 104 = zero germination

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't know I didn't reply to this sooner, sorry.  Thanks for the reply.  

I have them going inside right now but will need to transplant in the next few weeks.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Here's my two surviving cucumbers.  Started 5 indoors knowing they weren't good to transplant.  Transplanted without disturbing the soil much and still lost 3.

2 of the cotton plants are doing as great as they can, 1 is stuck and 1 is damn near dead.

Cotton stalk getting woody.

Soy beans are getting eaten up but they're growing.

Snap peas.  Took a looooonnnnnngggg time to come up.  Some are still emerging.  I'll replant the bare spots when it gets a bit cooler.

Marvel of Venice are climbing well.  These have been my best starters.

Fortex beans are in the front.  They are not climbing well but hopefully will improve this week.

Since I took the pictures I have tied a trellis in teh gap between the Fortex and Marvel of Venice.  Biggest problem now is the bugs eating the leaves.

How can I get rid of the critters eating the soy beans?

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Cotton is flowering!
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I transplanted 5 cucumber.  Only 2 made it.  

Soybeans are doing well

Pole beans are doing well too.  Ones in the back are a few days from 7 feet tall.

Cotton is doing better.  Behind the local fields but I'm beginning to not worry too much because it is still 95 some days.

Jalafuego peppers

Tomatoes - I got stakes for the front two.  I lost one after transplanting.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Cotton is kind of pretty!  I've never seen it close up.
Is the "flower" the cotton?
Or is the cotton a receptacle for seeds later?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cotton is flowering!

Cotton is kind of pretty!  I've never seen it close up.
Is the "flower" the cotton?
Or is the cotton a receptacle for seeds later?
Flower forms and then dries and falls off.  Cotton boll then forms where the flower was.  

Here is an open flower.  Mine have been turning magenta and drying within 24 hours of this stage.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Cotton boll forming.  Notice the "petals" or "leaves" or whatever their called around the boll are the same from the 8/24 picture of the flower.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:05:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That was probably the calyx of the flower..the little bottom structure that looks "tougher" than the petals. Does that make sense to you?

I see a tiny bit of the thin "leaves" of that around the flower, so guessing that's what you mean.

And  wow, that funky greenish white polka dot thing in the middle..

That's the cotton forming?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/image1_zps9ah7icpo.jpeg

Cotton boll forming.  Notice the "petals" or "leaves" or whatever their called around the boll are the same from the 8/24 picture of the flower.

That was probably the calyx of the flower..the little bottom structure that looks "tougher" than the petals. Does that make sense to you?

I see a tiny bit of the thin "leaves" of that around the flower, so guessing that's what you mean.

And  wow, that funky greenish white polka dot thing in the middle..

That's the cotton forming?

Here's a couple pictures I found on image search that may help explain it much better than I ever could

I don't know what is going on in the bottom two rows of this picture.  Waaayyyy above my pay grade

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I've been meaning to update with pictures but haven't had time.  Hopefully I can do so tomorrow.  

1 of my types of pole beans is getting drowned and eaten alive.  The other is nice and healthy.  No beans yet though.  Soy beans are plentiful.  Snap peas are probably a bust this year.

Cotton is ~4 feet tall.  Bolls forming all over.  Some flowers are still popping out every day.  The stalks are getting really wide. So wide that I've had to stake both plants because they were falling over.

Cucumbers are about 5 feet up the trellis.  I'm surprised they're climbing so well.

Peppers and tomatoes are doing well.  Peppers are still short.

I have lost all the dill I planted.  Only 1 basil plant has survived.

I am attempting carrots again.  Last time they all died.  I planted two very close rows this time.  We shall see.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Peppers

Tomatoes

Cucumbers

Pole Beans

Pole Bean damage

Snap peas

Soy beans

Cotton

Carrots

I have more carrots, lettuce, chard, and broccoli waiting to be transplanted.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Got my first cucumber last week.  Tasty cucumber.  No picture because it was gone too quickly.  It is still ~90 here most days.  This weekend we hit 95ish and today is low 80's  Rest of the week is ~90 so I think the colld will be late this year.  I hope at least.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a pest plaguing my cucumbers.  It is burrowing into the cucumbers in perfect circular holes.  I have harvested 3 unaffected cucumbers and thrown out probably 15 with holes.

Are there any pesticides that I can use on the cucumbers to get rid of the worms so they don't eat into the new fruit?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Tomatoes

Cucumbers - I've thrown probably at least 20 away because of worms.  I treated with Sevin and now I have only found a few with worms since.  I have harvested ~15 worm free so far.

Peppers

Carrots - I lost most of my early carrots.  I planted from teh back of the bed forward.  My last planting seems to be doing great though.  Green twist ties sticking up were used to ID where each carrot was planted.

Cotton - Its 6 feet tall with no open bolls.    Still putting all its energy towards growing up and out.  It has 2 weeks tops until I rip it out.  More like next weekend probably.  That is where the garlic is going.

Beans - I sprayed with daconil a week ago and that seemed to stop the fungus.  I harvested enough for 3 people last night and sprayed again this morning.  Tons of small beans are hanging but there's not a ton of leaves on the far stalks to fatten them up.  Peas are doing well too and taste great.  All 6 of them .  I eat the soybeans raw and give them to my dogs as treats.  They're happy

Broccoli in front, lettuce middle, chard back. This bed started great then birds pulled up plants and left them in the bed.  Empty spots are where the birds pulled them up.  I have reseeded those spots.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Looking great Sam.  I just got my fall veggies in the ground yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks!  What did you plant?

Quoted:

I'm jealous of y'all who are southern gardeners.

We are feeling
serious fall on its way up here.  I'm enjoying the flowers for as long
as I can, and hoping I get another week or two.
View Quote
It'll be in the 70's this weekend and 80's all next week

I picked 12 more cucumbers yesterday.  Gave 4 away and pickled the rest.

Cotton comes out tomorrow.  I tried to get it to pop the bolls by taking all the leaves off and cutting it down.  I had a little success.  Should have done it a week or two earlier.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#22]
This morning I figured out how to get the tiller in the raised beds.  I built a platform out of 2x4s and deck boards.  Used vehicle ramps propped up on scrap 2x4s (for extra height).

When I got done I left the platform in the yard.  Figured the supervisors would want to use it.  Yup.  

(looks like he's about to sneeze)

Garlic was planted in rows that were 6 inches apart, garlic in the rows was 5 inches apart.  Each row has a stainless steel marker with the type of garlic in the row.  The stick you see is one I used to make holes to plant the garlic.

Aaaannnndddd all done.   Time to harvest a bean or two.

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
"Pop the bolls" means getting those buds to open so you can get the cotton?

Why does cutting off the leaves and pruning it make that happen?  Does the cotton think it's dying so it tries to open and let the seeds out?

ETA: Where'd you get your garlic, and what variety did you plant?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!  What did you plant?

Quoted:

I'm jealous of y'all who are southern gardeners.

We are feeling serious fall on its way up here.  I'm enjoying the flowers for as long as I can, and hoping I get another week or two.
It'll be in the 70's this weekend and 80's all next week

I picked 12 more cucumbers yesterday.  Gave 4 away and pickled the rest.

Cotton comes out tomorrow.  I tried to get it to pop the bolls by taking all the leaves off and cutting it down.  I had a little success.  Should have done it a week or two earlier.  

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/photo%201_zpsxvhcktf9.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/photo%202_zpsinqmwx9a.jpg

"Pop the bolls" means getting those buds to open so you can get the cotton?

Why does cutting off the leaves and pruning it make that happen?  Does the cotton think it's dying so it tries to open and let the seeds out?

ETA: Where'd you get your garlic, and what variety did you plant?

Yes, but I'm guessing that's not a proper term

Trimming the plant to a stump was to hopefully stop the excessive growth.  Last ditch effort of sorts.

Softneck garlics are from southern exposure seed exchange.  Italian, Lorz Italian, and Inchelium Red.  Creoles are from Whistling Duck Farm.  Creole Red and Pescadero.

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#25]
collards, broccoli, cabbage and brussel's sprouts. might do some lettuce but i want to be sure we dont get late heat and cause a bolt.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 1:09:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Example of how drying makes the bolls pop.

Stump picture while plant still in the ground

Stump picture today.  Stumps have been sitting on concrete since pulled.  I put them on the mulch pile for the picture.

First picture has 1 boll popping on each plant.  Second picture has 2 popped on one plant and 1 popped with 2 cracked on the other.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Greens bed.  We've had a bunch of salads from the bed.  No broccoli yet.

Peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers.

Cucumber harvest today

Garlic and carrots.  Beans are in the background.  I pulled them up last week.  I am waiting for the vines to dry before I pull them off the trellis.

I think it was a little too early for garlic here  

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:52:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Tons has changed since the last update!

Tomatoes, jalapenos, and cucumbers are all gone.  Freeze was coming so I pulled all the fruit I could off the peppers and tomatoes.  I got 60 jalapenos and made pepper jelly for parties this winter.    I pulled any tomatoes that had any ripening and finished them inside.  I got about 10 pints of crushed tomatoes canned.  

I've als started pulling carrots as needed.  I was pleasently surprised when I pulled the first.  

I am still pulling lettuce and chard as needed.  Broccoli heads are coming in and should be ready soon.  It has been a while since I took these pictures, but it gives an idea of the garlic patch.  100% of the plants are above ground now.  

I have ordered some onions from DixonDale Farms.  They are scheduled to ship the first week of February.  They'll be planted in the same spot as the carrots.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I was checking the garden yesterday and something looked "different" with one of the heads of broccoli.  I couldn't tell what it was until i got really really close.  It looked like some of it was opening, or so I thought.  I couldn't find any photos of the stages of broccoli flowers opening, so I went ahead and pulled this one.  I took some close ups to show what I saw.  There are buds that seems to be opening every now and then as you look over the head.  Please tell me if I pulled this head early.
Mrs. Samiam513 told me it was her favorite vegetable from the garden thus far.  The cooked broccoli was Dr. Seuss dark green and she got a good kick out of it considering.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 11:53:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Yes.  Perfect timing.
Very interesting on the cotton. I hope you do that again next year.
ETA:  I would love your pepper jelly recipe.  We don't really do that up here.  AT least, we didn't when I was growing up, so I don't know how to do that well.
My brother sends me pepper jellies from New Mexico and we love them.  Wondering if I could do my own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, the flowers are getting ready to open.  If you had waited another day or two, you would see little yellow flowers popping out.  Still perfectly edible.

Yes.  Perfect timing.
Very interesting on the cotton. I hope you do that again next year.
ETA:  I would love your pepper jelly recipe.  We don't really do that up here.  AT least, we didn't when I was growing up, so I don't know how to do that well.
My brother sends me pepper jellies from New Mexico and we love them.  Wondering if I could do my own.
Thanks for the input y'all!
I use the certo pepper jelly recipe.  We take it to parties with crackers and cream cheese.  Too much sugar to eat at home.  Only modification I made was using 30 jalapenos in each batch instead of 3 different types of peppers.  15 of the jalapenos had veins and seeds removed, the others just had the tops lopped off.   http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/certo-hot-pepper-jelly-51862.aspx

Cotton will be back next year, but not in the garden.  I am planning to fill the garden to the brim with veggies.

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I ordered leeks from Dixondale the other night and will probably plant where the remaining broccoli is and the lettuce currently is.

I have only harvested 1 carrot since Thanksgiving.  Broccoli has been coming in well with the first head being the best.  I'll probably do more broccoli in the spring in the room not taken up by leeks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Dude, can't believe you had tomatoes after thanksgiving ... Awesome
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Makes me wanna move south.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, can't believe you had tomatoes after thanksgiving ... Awesome

Makes me wanna move south.
Y'all need to visit in August.  So hot even pools are uncomfortably warm

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I planted the leeks today.  Each bundle was estimated to be 60 leeks.  I ordered 2 bundles and got 64.    Oh well.  I planted accordingly.

Here is the garlic and carrots.  Garlic will probably die back this week becasue it is going to be mid 20s at night.

And every now and then I'll go outside and pull up a carrot, wash it and eat it.  Sooooo good.  Wife has asked for a dedicated fall carrot bed if I expand the garden.  She wants a carrot every day.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#39]
I pulled and canned the carrots yesterday.  11.5 pints in all.  

Some of the more interesting ones plus the three smallest.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Your new facebook header as CARROT MAN

Faster than a speeding carrot...

http://www.fototime.com/0AFA4C4B3ADE079/standard.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Whelp, the swiss chard got battered by the frozen nights and I don't think I want to do greens in the spring where it currently is.  I am thinking about planting some more leeks to finish out the leek/chard bed and stock my freezer and my folks' freezer for the year.  Monday would have been the perfect day to do this because its been raining since then
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:21:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Stressful day at work. Stressful evening at home.  So I went to the garden with a cigar and onion sets and planted in the dark.  I planted 18 Texas super sweet, 12 red creole and 12 candy.  Texas in the three rows nearest the garlic, then 2 rows of candy and 2 rows of creole. I did an 8 inch grid for spacing.  Pics will come in the next few days.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Photo time!!!

First up are the leeks.  They're planted pretty close to the bottom of the bed.  I think there is 76 total.  

Garlic in the front, onions in the back.

If you look close in this picture, the two rows on onions on the right look more red (Creole) and the three on left look huge (Texas).  Spacing is an 8x8 grid.  No trenches or fertilizer because of my soil numbers on page 2.

Here is a close up of what the garlic looks like.  The freeze has been getting to it, thankfully.  

I noticed some of the garlic is standing and some is folded over.  The garlic on the right actually receives the least amount of sun because it is shaded by the privacy fence for part of the morning.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Your lettering on the pretty tags makes a lovely garden even in the winter.

ETA:  When you harvest your garlic, if you have time, will you do a side by side comparison of the varieties?  I haven't grown garlic--my dad grew it when I was a little girl, but he grew whatever was in the bin at the feed store, then saved some bulbs for the next year.  I'm interested in learning.

That takes time of course, so if you can't, no worries.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Photo time!!!

First up are the leeks.  They're planted pretty close to the bottom of the bed.  I think there is 76 total.  

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_1288_zpsmgv1i5cx.jpg~original

Garlic in the front, onions in the back.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_1289_zpsw5pj0hx7.jpg~original

If you look close in this picture, the two rows on onions on the right look more red (Creole) and the three on left look huge (Texas).  Spacing is an 8x8 grid.  No trenches or fertilizer because of my soil numbers on page 2.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_1291_zpstpurmas0.jpg~original

Here is a close up of what the garlic looks like.  The freeze has been getting to it, thankfully.  

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_1292_zpsmmxflxy3.jpg~original

I noticed some of the garlic is standing and some is folded over.  The garlic on the right actually receives the least amount of sun because it is shaded by the privacy fence for part of the morning.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/samiamgarden/IMG_1290_zpsz6p10i0h.jpg~original

Your lettering on the pretty tags makes a lovely garden even in the winter.

ETA:  When you harvest your garlic, if you have time, will you do a side by side comparison of the varieties?  I haven't grown garlic--my dad grew it when I was a little girl, but he grew whatever was in the bin at the feed store, then saved some bulbs for the next year.  I'm interested in learning.

That takes time of course, so if you can't, no worries.

Mrs.Samiam did the writing.  If you see markers with chicken scratch, you can assume I annoyed her a little too much before asking for help  Here is a link to the tags if anyone is looking for them. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078IF6TW?psc  They seem to be holding up well.  She used a paint pen on them.  sharpie wouldn't take.

Pictures are no problem.  They'd probably end up here anyways without asking.  I'm (not so) secretly using this thread as a garden diary so I can keep track of planting times and such while showing everyone what not to do

In a perfect world I would be able to save all my garlic out in the open.  But my world is far from perfect.  I am testing a head right now and it has kept a little over a month with no soft spots.  But, in the summer my house is 10 degrees warmer.  I'm afraid I'll have to freeze what I want to store long term and might be SOL for a self-sustained planting stock.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Looking good, OP!
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Looking good, OP!
View Quote
Thanks!  Sometimes its two steps forward and three steps back

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Never thought I would be making a post about the three trellises being blown over.  

A bad line of storms came across the southeast in the past 48 hours.  This morning when I was getting my daughter to daycare I noticed all three trellises were down.  All three were tipped over.  Two were tipped onto the fence.  Those winds must have been perfect because each trellis had a wide base but nothing else was damaged.  If you look at the last set of pictures I posted, the last picture has the two that tipped over the fence in the background.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top