Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2015 9:29:46 PM EDT
I'm moving forward with buying my first house and I'm going to have almost 2 acres of lawn to cut. There's a small field beyond the yard, I may let some of the yard become field and just mow it once per year with a brush hog. I can borrow my GF's dad's tractor for that, he lives just maybe 2-3 miles up the road. But I'll need something for the lawn.

We always had John Deere tractors growing up, but they were larger farm/garden tractors. I see JD lawn tractors outside of places like Home Depot and I'm guessing they aren't of the same quality. Any recommendations? New would be nice, but I don't want to spend a ton; I'm definitely willing to go used.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
.seem to run from $1500 up to $15,000

whats your budget and do you want ground contact V just a big ass mower?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like to stay under say $3k, but for the right tractor that will hold its value and give me minimal problems I'd go higher.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:03:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a sears lawn tractor, 8 years now and over 700 hours
had to weld the belly mower in two spots,,ground is not flat or even here..lots of holes and and mounds..

motor should go a another few years...not sure on any "resale value" or holding of value with used mowers..

There are 2 one is a big mower other is a garden tractor..

Deer? go to a Deere dealer, thinking the Deere's at home depot are NOT the same one you'll get at a Deere dealer..
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an x300 and can't complain.  I mainly use it for mowing but have used it to pull limbs to the curb, haul dirt, etc.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:17:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Deere x320 here.
Use it for mowing, hauling a trailer for mulch and other items, aerating.  
Have about 250 hours over 5 years right now.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:39:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Get an old Cub Cadet , something before MTD bought them. A 147 or a 149 can be bought for around $500 for a well used one if You are handy . Or You can get one that has been restored to like new for 1/2 to 2/3 of your budget. These things are built like a tank , all cast Iron and heavy Steel with Hydrostatic drive.  Parts are readily available on E-bay.  I got a 147 , I literally beat the shit out of it.  I run it thru the woods mowing saplings , rose bushes , etc, like it was a brush hog .  I work it hard , break it , fix it and sometimes up date it , then re-pete.  This thing is 44 Years old and  still going strong , I'd like to see if any of the new stuff will be around in 44 Years.  Love the Hydro drive it is bulletproof and if I ever did break it , replacements are on e-bay for less than $100 , no call for them they just don't break.

If You ain't too handy and don't want to fix things, You can get one that has been restored to like new , there is big following of these by People that restore and show them like it is some kind of classic car.   Do a google search or check E-bay and craigs list  , You will find one.  I'm cheap and think things should last forever with minimal up keep , and this about fits the bill. Besides money saved on this can be better (blown) spent on My Toys  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]
my JD has been bulletproof,for the last 10yrs.

clown
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Several threads here and general discussion and you may as well cruise by tractor by net . com and spend some time over there as well.

I just ordered some parts for a 10 year old walk behind low end exmark mower, 36 inch cut.  Spent a hundred bucks in parts to get it a new fuel pump, tune up, air filter assembly, fuel lines and some related odds and ends.  Other than tires I have not really done much other than change the oil here and there.  Tires dry rotted.

Even though it is a low end exmark, metro branded, it is still heavy duty for my home use.  And I have abused the heck out of it and it does not really seem to care.  I thought I had a bearing going out, bent a nice big bolt instead.  Replace bolt and no more vibration.

Yeah it is a walk behind and a small cut, but with the use it has given me it has sold me on low end commercial stuff for the most part.  I can still be a cheapskate now and then, generally when something comes my way free or for a few bucks or for helping someone out.

Anyway, I figure you want to ride around.  With a cup holder.  No biggy.  They make magnetic cup holders.  

I compare the john deere stuff at home depot to being somewhat close to the push mower at wally world.  They should work for several years and some people can get a decade or more out of em, some people can't get past warranty period by more than a day or two.  If it can live inside, be cared for by someone who actually looks it over and cleans it up and gets junk off the deck and basically takes good care of his stuff it might do the job.  It might not.  But, this is new in your price range.

There is just about a collectors market for garden tractors, usually because they are worth the money.  These get into the cost of what a decent used car can be so you need to look the thing over and see what you are getting into.  On these it can be well worth replacing the engine if the engine is shot.  I have dealt with some of the newer stuff, think it was a 20hp kohler in a cub cadet of some sort.  Hydrostatic transmission never impressed me much, but I am an old fuddy duddy that way.

The garden tractor will have an actual braking system so if you want a little cart to fill with stuff this might be nice to have.  Riding mowers generally don't have much of a braking system and if you have old belts that slip a bit and they use those for resistance in the system somehow you might find your brakes suck.  I have had a lot of hand me down little old mowers and some were impressive.  Some not so much.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top