Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2015 3:27:31 PM EDT
I have an older John Deere 870.
About a month ago I changed both power steering hoses. Now it seems there is air in the system, the steering makes a noise when turning the wheel and the front end loader is very jerky when operating it.
I have kept check on the fluid level and its full. Is there an easy way to bleed the system?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I can look in My service manual when I get home. Im not sure if I have one for the 870 but no harm in trying the procedure for a 955. It is simple just cant remember the order of how to do it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can look in My service manual when I get home. Im not sure if I have one for the 870 but no harm in trying the procedure for a 955. It is simple just cant remember the order of how to do it.
View Quote

Sure, I'm willing to try, Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok i found my manual. The procedure has no real order just make sure the fluid is topped off, run at half throttle, cycle all the hydraulic functions (steer each way completely, loader, deck, hitch all that good stuff) at least 3 times, then run at idle for 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll try it tomorrow, Thanks for trying to help!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#5]
If you run a search for power steering on cars and the hydroboost brakes general motors likes on some stuff you should find a lot of basics in hydraulics.

Basically you opened the system.

You need to get fluid to all areas and the noise is usually the bubbles.

On a power steering system on a vehicle you would spin the wheel back and forth and "lightly" hit the limits of it.  We did this with vehicle still in air so no weight on tires and just put the newbuddy in there and told him to work for a bit til it got quieter.  Now and then check the resevoir.

So with your system having more toys, you have to work them all.

I would just run searches, especially on tractor by net, and see what you come up with for generic hydraulics.  

Not saying any of the above is wrong, it sounds correct.  But you might find some pointers or hints or an idea on how long this could take.

If you can figure out flows of the fluid, schematic, I would treat it like bleeding the complete brake system.  You start at the shortest one I think and get it bled and then go to the next shortest and so on and so forth.  

Bleeding in a varying order can let air get back into one of the other lines, not much but a little is a problem.

We would also go on back and check em again after we got to the last one just because it made sure the air was out and got clean fluid all through the system.

I don't know how the hydraulics on a tractor are run, they might all have their own lines off the valve body or they might not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top