Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2015 6:16:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Dang!

I was griping about 5.00 bales last year.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#2]
$9 /bale here, alfalfa is running $10.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$9 /bale here, alfalfa is running $10.
View Quote

At least double that in California.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#4]
That's for straw, not feed?  Hard to believe.  Even $5 a bale for just straw seems high unless your buying it from a home improvement store or something.  Wow...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]
$3.50 per bale here. Luckily I live near several large farms that sell to locals near wholesale price.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I paid 16 bucks a bail bale last year.

What a racket.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I just stroll out to the barn and get some for free.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#8]
$40 a bale here....

1500+ lb bale. Hehehe.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Check down here when you come into the cabin, may not be quite as much
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I had half a brain, I'd lease a bunch of land, plant oats, skip the combine and just bale it.  $10 a bale here for dirty straw.
View Quote

Holy shit!  I thought 6.50 was bad.   The same store had bad hay for 9.50.  Hell. I'm paying 35 for horse hay round bales
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#11]
If I go down the road, I can probably talk a neighbor into $2 per bale if I tried. Otherwise it's $3-4 locally. I'm getting 50 bales delivered and stacked at $4 each this summer. Round bales are usually  $25.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Years ago I tried to buy some straw, and was told it's hard to get these days because 1. they have bred oats to have really short stalks, and 2. they combine the oats and leave the straw right there in the field instead of bailing it.  That's when I decided to settle for cheap old hay for bedding, mulch, or whatever.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Why oat straw?  That stuff is horribly itchy!!  Wheat straw would be my preference if I was growing grain just for straw.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Last year it was pretty rainy/wet around the time most small grain was ready to be harvested... I'm sure Ohio was in the same boat as PA.  Most guys in my area
worried more about the grain then baling the straw when they did get good weather.  There was an awful lot that sprouted or was moldy.
That may explain the shortage of straw.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Most of the newer combines have a chopper and the straw is blown/spread as they harvest the grain.  You need to find a local farmer who is an independent.  He'll have an older combine and actually bale the straw for his use and sale.  Usually $3/bale around here in MidMo.  - JP
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It's $4 a bale here.

That's just not right.  They need a setting where they can turn that chopper off. EVERYBODY needs straw.

Sometimes I just shake my head at the level of dumb.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of the newer combines have a chopper and the straw is blown/spread as they harvest the grain.  You need to find a local farmer who is an independent.  He'll have an older combine and actually bale the straw for his use and sale.  Usually $3/bale around here in MidMo.  - JP

It's $4 a bale here.

That's just not right.  They need a setting where they can turn that chopper off. EVERYBODY needs straw.

Sometimes I just shake my head at the level of dumb.
I don't have a need for straw...

The problem with bailing is...

-combine the wheat.

-spread the straw out to dry

-wind row it back

-bale it

-either operate a stacker or pay help

-transport it to the barn

-have a dry place to store it

That's 4 times around the field with a tractor (3 if you hire help) plus the drive to the barn.

That's a lot of fuel to hope you can sell it, not to mention maintenance and storage on all that equipment.

Hay is even more, cause you hafta cut it too.

That's why there's a chopper on combines.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got to ask. What the heck are y'all using straw for? I grew up raising cows, riding horses, and rolling in countrified dirt. We never used straw. I'm not even sure if you can buy straw in Texas. We fed hay to everything but around here straw is just plowed under to keep soil fertility up and to keep it more friable.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#23]
That makes sense. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've got to ask. What the heck are y'all using straw for? I grew up raising cows, riding horses, and rolling in countrified dirt. We never used straw. I'm not even sure if you can buy straw in Texas. We fed hay to everything but around here straw is just plowed under to keep soil fertility up and to keep it more friable.
View Quote

Chicken coup. But lately we've just used left over hay.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I use it for mulch. I use the bales for insulation in certain instances (beehives in winter--creating a windbreak in emergencies), I use it for dog bedding in kennels and doghouses.  For bedding in the henhouse.  

The uses for straw are pretty much endless.

One of the more important uses is to keep the fruit of STRAWberries from laying on the ground .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use it for mulch. I use the bales for insulation in certain instances (beehives in winter--creating a windbreak in emergencies), I use it for dog bedding in kennels and doghouses.  For bedding in the henhouse.  

One of the more important uses is to keep the fruit of STRAWberries from laying on the ground .

We use pine needles for strawberries.  They're free.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ha!  I wish that were true here.  Where I am, pine straw is the most expensive of the purchased mulches.    I think pine straw mulch is the prettiest of all for landscaping.  Of course, I think that because it seems exotic since we don't usually have it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We use pine needles for strawberries.  They're free.

Ha!  I wish that were true here.  Where I am, pine straw is the most expensive of the purchased mulches.    I think pine straw mulch is the prettiest of all for landscaping.  Of course, I think that because it seems exotic since we don't usually have it.

Ha, I've got the better part of 40 acres of "pine straw" to harvest then.  You pay shipping and we can talk price!

i can see where it would be appealing though.  The underside of my pine covered riverbanks have little undergrowth, and a nice color.  i think if i used it around my house though, it would just look like i forgot  to rake!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top