Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2015 10:33:51 AM EDT
Last year this area had flowers of some type growing here, with much longer stems. During the fall they dried out and and I mowed the area.

Now that spring has arrived the area is filled with this plant, mixed with some grass. I have no idea what it is and if I should do something about it or wipe it all out. The fence has climbing vines on it that are wanted, so nuking everything isnt possible. I fully admit, I do not know anything about taking care of my yard beyond mowing and watering.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like peppermint.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like peppermint.
View Quote

This.

Pick a leaf and smell it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Crush it between your fingers, and then smell.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't look like peppermint to me.

And I see two distinctly different species. The one further back looks like it might belong to the Oenothera genus. Not sure about the one closer to the front. I'm not that familiar with perennials that will survive that far north. Does it have a sage smell?

Give it a couple of more weeks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't look like the peppermint we grow. I'm not sure what it is.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like maybe the flowers you had last year were annuals that set seed, and dropped 'em all over the bed.  Hard to ID (some) plants without having the flower to go by, though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't want it, you can use low yield tactical nukes and not hurt your vines. Take a half sheet of plywood or similar (cut it lengthwise) and place it as far toward the fence as you can and just lean it up against that fence and spray the offending plants.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:41:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Upper half of a 2 Liter soda bottle. Duct tape one over the nozzle of the sprayer wand, with the nozzle 6-8" from the bell end.

Bingo!
Shielded sprayer.
Glyphosate stays in the target plants tissues, and wont affect others that have root to root contact with them.

Those "Weeds" sort of look like Impatiens to me....I'd kill them. Then again, to me, if it's not a crop, it's a damn weed.
Check with the wife first.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Not peppermint according to the crush and smell test.  Gonna let them live a bit and see what happens.  They don't seem to be invading the neighbors yard and theyre green.  

Oddly enough the rhubarb I accidentally put spectracide on last year is back,  and thriving.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#10]
anything is a weed if you don't want it there
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I always tell my wife: Someones houseplant is someone else's weed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always tell my wife: Someones houseplant is someone else's weed.
View Quote

The Yuppies in town jumped on the "Decorative exotic Grass" craze several years back.
They pay BIG $$$ for a clump of the stuff.

Now you can see the crap growing in Orchards and farm fields wherever you drive around here.
Nasty crap that germinates mid-season, and harvest, when herbicides can't be applied.

Makes a guy want to run to town at midnight, with a backpack sprayer full of Stinger and Glyphosate.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Let it grow.  If it is pretty it is a flower.  If it is ugly, it is a weed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top