Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2015 8:37:54 AM EDT
I have a four acre field I need to mow.  My dad used to keep cows on it, but he passed away and I don't have time nor desire to fool with livestock (there's no creek, so watering them was always a hassle).  I'm looking to hire someone to mow it, but I'm not having too much luck lining anyone up.  Ergo, I may need to purchase a tractor and a rotary mower.  I'd like to keep it around $10,000 with a mower although I can reluctantly go higher.  I would also use it to clear snow from my driveway if I can find a cheap 3 pt blade.  For as much as I'm spending, I'd prefer new or at least something with a warranty.  

What do you recommend, ARF?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#1]
John Deere. They keep parts In Stock for a very long time. The other brands of tractors get very hard to get parts for when they get old.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
John Deere. They keep parts In Stock for a very long time. The other brands of tractors get very hard to get parts for when they get old.
View Quote

For under $10K with a PTO mower and a warranty?  I think not.

I can't think of one off the top of my head.   If your willing to pull routine maint you could easily pick up a quality used vintage tractor and mower for $5-8K off CL.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Um No.

We run  '49, '64, '66 and '76 Farmall Cubs on our vegetable operation.  Along with a '53 Farmall Super A.  No problem ever getting parts.  

We also run a  '02 Kubota BX1800, '04 Kubota BX22, and '04 Kubota Grand L3830 for other chores around the farm(s).  No problems ever getting parts for them but then again the only parts we've ever needed are filters and fluids.  Very reliable tractors.

OP your best bet would be to spend some time at Tractor by Net.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I second spending some time in the tractor forums

tractor by net and my tractor forum are the two I recommend, the arfcoms of tractors.

If money is a limiting concern then I would certainly suggest going with sound used equipment.  Many tractors are barely broken in when used by your average harry homeowner.  

there is a used tractor website for sales and they print a listings magazine too.  I can't recall it off the top of my head but you'll find it if you look.   If you have time, you can find a deal.

For limited brush hogging/mowing and plowing, all you need is a used tractor in good shape.  $4-5k versus $20k.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

tractor by net and my tractor forum are the two I recommend, the arfcoms of tractors.

If money is a limiting concern then I would certainly suggest going with sound used equipment.  Many tractors are barely broken in when used by your average harry homeowner.  

there is a used tractor website for sales and they print a listings magazine too.  I can't recall it off the top of my head but you'll find it if you look.   If you have time, you can find a deal.

For limited brush hogging/mowing and plowing, all you need is a used tractor in good shape.  $4-5k versus $20k.
View Quote

Thanks, sounds like solid advice.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I landed an 80's vintage IH  60 h.p. a few years back for under 4K.   It's rough looking but handles the limited brush hogging and mowing on several acres.  I've pulled stumps, plowed, drug logs, etc. for about 5 years and not had major issues.

If you can get a used, kind of oversized tractor you probably won't hurt it with occasional use around the place.

I'm thinking if something happens that costs too much to fix, I'll probably sell or give away end be monet ahead of something new.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I landed an 80's vintage IH  60 h.p. a few years back for under 4K.   It's rough looking but handles the limited brush hogging and mowing on several acres.  I've pulled stumps, plowed, drug logs, etc. for about 5 years and not had major issues.

If you can get a used, kind of oversized tractor you probably won't hurt it with occasional use around the place.

I'm thinking if something happens that costs too much to fix, I'll probably sell or give away end be monet ahead of something new.
View Quote

I may do the same thing.  In fact, although I'd really like to have a new Kubota (spoke with the wife and she's not violently opposed to spending up to $20K on a new Kubota) I will first try and get my Dad's old Farmall 400 running again.  It won't turn over but power is getting to the solenoid, so I ordered a new starter solenoid yesterday (motor is definitely not locked).  

Tractors are so stupid expensive unless you're using them to make money it doesn't make financial sense to buy one.  Of course, if I had a proper tractor maybe I could grow something profitable on my 4 acres.

Here's a pic from when I had her running last summer:

" />
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Man, that's all You need.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a four acre field I need to mow.  My dad used to keep cows on it, but he passed away and I don't have time nor desire to fool with livestock (there's no creek, so watering them was always a hassle).  I'm looking to hire someone to mow it, but I'm not having too much luck lining anyone up.  Ergo, I may need to purchase a tractor and a rotary mower.  I'd like to keep it around $10,000 with a mower although I can reluctantly go higher.  I would also use it to clear snow from my driveway if I can find a cheap 3 pt blade.  For as much as I'm spending, I'd prefer new or at least something with a warranty.  

View Quote

Kubota B series, such as the B2620.

get one with a FEL (front end loader).  while you are at the dealer it will appear to be an expensive wheelbarrow.  
5 years later you will have discovered at least 87 things that are much easier to do when you have a FEL.

ps
you don't have to drop the $10K all at once.  sign up for the current 0% financing.  i got a free tractor this way, in just 5 years.

see also this post
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/669571__ARCHIVED_THREAD____For_my_first_post__A_question_about_Utility_Tractors.html&page=1#i11445366

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I would saw new unless your a mechanic or have allot of spare time.
I picked up a JD 70 a small 4x4 tractor that I fell in love with and promptly tore up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I may do the same thing.  In fact, although I'd really like to have a new Kubota (spoke with the wife and she's not violently opposed to spending up to $20K on a new Kubota) I will first try and get my Dad's old Farmall 400 running again.  It won't turn over but power is getting to the solenoid, so I ordered a new starter solenoid yesterday (motor is definitely not locked).  

Tractors are so stupid expensive unless you're using them to make money it doesn't make financial sense to buy one.  Of course, if I had a proper tractor maybe I could grow something profitable on my 4 acres.

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a608/alphabrew/Mobile%20Uploads/FA82EDC3-B7EE-4F6B-8D65-51937159F450_zps5wh5cahw.jpg</a>" />
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a608/alphabrew/Mobile%20Uploads/FA82EDC3-B7EE-4F6B-8D65-51937159F450_zps5wh5cahw.jpg</a>" />

I like it!

There are a fair number of those around here.  Only reason I didn't get one of those is I'm all hill and the tricycle front wheel would be problematic there.  If I was on the flats I would likely have ended up with one or a similar Ford which is also very common here.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

get one with a FEL (front end loader).  while you are at the dealer it will appear to be an expensive wheelbarrow.  
5 years later you will have discovered at least 87 things that are much easier to do when you have a FEL.

ps
you don't have to drop the $10K all at once.  sign up for the current 0% financing.  i got a free tractor this way, in just 5 years.

see also this post
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/669571__ARCHIVED_THREAD____For_my_first_post__A_question_about_Utility_Tractors.html&page=1#i11445366

ar-jedi

http://www.bobshowto.com/tips-tricks-documents/Compact%20Tractor.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ps

see also this post

ar-jedi

OMG that would be perfect for me!

ETA: I texted my wife that picture and she basically  said to FO on it.  So, I'll be going to the Kubota dealer and looking around this weekend.  What is the best gun rack to get for one of those?  Needs an AR-15 on it someplace.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I tend to agree.  Tractors are pretty simple and reliable, I wouldn't worry much about a warrantee.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That thing isn't worth the effort man, just give it up.  To help you out why don't you PM me your address and I'll come load it up and take it away for you

Seriously that is a beast of a tractor and with a little work an awesome tractor/tool.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#17]
You may be able to find someone to mow it for the hay
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You may be able to find someone to mow it for the hay
View Quote

I like the way you think, sir.  I actually have someone mowing part of my property for the hay.  It had been a hay field for years and the hay is good quality.  The man mowing the hay is not interested in making hay on this particular field because it's "too rough" from my lack of maintenance for the past few years.  He doesn't have a mower that will mow it.  I would be happy to pay to get it mowed for a year or two until the grass is high enough quality for hay, but no one seems to be interested in mowing or lacks the equipment to do so.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ETA: I texted my wife that picture and she basically  said to FO on it.  So, I'll be going to the Kubota dealer and looking around this weekend.  What is the best gun rack to get for one of those?  Needs an AR-15 on it someplace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ps

see also this post

ar-jedi

I was also going to suggest a Kubota B series w/ 4 ft bush hog. It is a perfect suze for 4 acres. I had one and it was bulletproof.

I have a Grand L cab model now
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ps

see also this post

ar-jedi

When I was shopping for a new tractor last year I went to the Kubota dealer and asked him why I should buy a Kubota instead of a John Deere.  He didn't have an answer for me and so there's a John Deere 5065E sitting in the barn.

BTW, when I asked the John Deere salesman why I should buy a Deere instead of Kubota he showed me comparative specs which showed the Deere to be a better overall choice in the class of tractor that I was buying.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
BTW, when I asked the John Deere salesman why I should buy a Deere instead of Kubota he showed me comparative specs which showed the Deere to be a better overall choice in the class of tractor that I was buying.
View Quote

you_dont_say.gif

i asked the Kubota salesman the same question and he showed me different comparative specs which showed the Kubota to be a better overall choice in the class of tractor that I was buying.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Neither Kubota or Deere

Get a Mahindra.  It's the ag division of Mitsubishi.  Japanese motor put into an Indian made tractor.  I love mine.  It's quality was up there with the "american" brands and it cost significantly less.  It also had a wider footprint which was important to me as I have to deal with pretty steep hills that would kill you on an older Ford/IH type of tractor.

Seriously, look into them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:07:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Neither Kubota or Deere

Get a Mahindra.  It's the ag division of Mitsubishi.  Japanese motor put into an Indian made tractor.  I love mine.  It's quality was up there with the "american" brands and it cost significantly less.  It also had a wider footprint which was important to me as I have to deal with pretty steep hills that would kill you on an older Ford/IH type of tractor.

View Quote

Where in the world did you hear that.  

Mahindra is Mahindra.  It's an entirely Indian company and always has been.  They do make good products, from light/medium SUVs and trucks to tractors, but they aren't Mitsubishi's anything.  

http://www.mahindra.com/

Mahindra has bought some Mitsubishi tractors and slapped their nameplate on them for the US market, but they are entirely Mitsubishi except in name.  Their other tractors sold in the US are entirely Mahindra.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Mahindra is Mahindra.  It's an entirely Indian company and always has been.  They do make good products, from light/medium SUVs and trucks to tractors, but they aren't Mitsubishi's anything.  

Mahindra has bought some Mitsubishi tractors and slapped their nameplate on them for the US market, but they are entirely Mitsubishi except in name.  Their other tractors sold in the US are entirely Mahindra.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neither Kubota or Deere

^^^ all that.

Mahindra also imported/imports TYM tractors from Korea as well.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ps

see also this post

ar-jedi

Build your own:

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I would look for a Ford 3000, 3600, 36xx series and call it good.  

Front end loaders are handy though.

My fleet:  

(ignore that orange thing in the back)

I've had good luck with New Holland.  I traded a JD 5303 for this cab tractor, I had the JD about 3 years and had some trouble out of it.  

There's a TN70 in the barn with 2500 trouble free hours on it.  You can find a brand-new 50 horse one for right around $14K with 0 interest if you look hard enough.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#28]
UPDaTE:  I FO'd on a Kubota L3901 with loader and 6 ft rotary cutter" />
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Good deal.  Have they fixed the jerky hitch?

Have your dealer weld on bucket hooks.  you will thank me later.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Good idea about the bucket hooks.  Imma get some pallet forks, too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#31]
If you don't mind me asking what did it cost?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Almost $27,000 with loader and 6 foot Land Pride rotary cutter.  It has 4 wheel drive and a hydro stat tranny.  Put $10k down and financed the balance at 0% for 5 years.  Kubota does charge $150/year of extra insurance if you finance, which is fine by me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

You're gonna be happy with that tractor!

Here are some specs on it:  http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/008/0/8/8087-kubota-l3901.html

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Almost $27,000 with loader and 6 foot Land Pride rotary cutter.  It has 4 wheel drive and a hydro stat tranny.  Put $10k down and financed the balance at 0% for 5 years.  Kubota does charge $150/year of extra insurance if you finance, which is fine by me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice. Does it have the quick couplers on the bucket so you can use skid loader attachments?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes, takes skid loader attachments.  I need to get pallet forks at a minimum.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ps

see also this post

ar-jedi

Kubota 60 months 0%...  I did it.  I've already put 15 hours on a new B2650 (pretty much the same as above) with FEL, MMM, rotary cutter and a box blade before the first payment was due.  Yes, the FEL seems small but it has to be the handiest tractor implement out there.  A must have if you ask me.  

When shopping be advised...any new tractors over 27 hp will have Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) on the engine exhaust.  Emmisions standards...   It's the main reason I went with the 26 hp model.  Plus the next model up in the "B" series was about $5k more for just 7 more hp.  I'm happy with the B2650.  Good luck looking.

EDIT:  I'm a nit late to the party.  Congrats!  Nice tractor.  "Fields are green.  Tractors are ORANGE!"
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I am jealous of the mid-mount PTO that the B series has.  I'm already scouring Craigslist for a 3pt finish mower, but I want one fairly cheap.  I have a Toro zero turn that I do my lawn mowing with, but it would be nice to have a finish mower for the Kubota.  I have two neighbors that have large lawns with not many trees, etc.  I'd love to get a contract to keep them mowed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

note that the kubota insurance coverage covers a lot of stupidity.  i'm not saying you now have license for stupidity, but -- for example -- you roll the tractor and do some damage, it's covered.

btw the 0% financing is such a good deal that i got a free tractor!
back in 2009 i had the money to buy the tractor outright, but instead i took the 0%/5yr financing from kubota, and invested the money instead.
in 5 years that money which i invested increased in value more than the original loan note on the tractor.  ergo, free tractor!  

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1656027__ARCHIVED_THREAD____I_think_my_opinion_on_debt_is_changing_.html&page=3#i48860712

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Re: license for stupidity on the insurance, my wife made exactly the same point to me while we were discussing this.  The tractor is fully covered for a lot of dumb stuff both on and off my property.  At least until I get a lot of seat time, it's probably not a bad idea for me to have extra insurance on it in case I roll it down a hill into a pond or something.

Re: investing the money and getting a free tractor: it could have easily gone the other way for you.  You could have invested your money and lost it, and the tractor would have cost you double.  I'll admit to being skeptical of most investments right now, such as stocks and bonds.  Low interest rates means asset prices are high, since their future earnings are discounted at a lower rate.  If interest rates rise, stocks and all other financial assets will take a beating.  Kubota's 0% suggests that interest rates are pretty damn low now, meaning asset prices are pretty damn high.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#40]
DO NOT GET the 2000 series John Deere.

We have a 2000, 3000 and 4000 series, the smallest, 2000 series is down all the time for maintenance. It's just not build as strong as the larger ones. Think of it as a glorified lawn tractor. We snapped a u-joint that happens to connect the engine to the transmission, a very messy $9000 repair. Fuck that. I don't have any complains about the larger ones.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a 60" Gravely I keep about 4 acres cut with. The deck is as wide as my bush hog and cuts 2-3 times faster and cleaner.
I do have a bush hog for everything else.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Are you talking about newer models, or older models?  I just picked up a '78 JD 2130, and now you've got me worried.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have a 2000, 3000 and 4000 series, the smallest, 2000 series is down all the time for maintenance. It's just not build as strong as the larger ones. Think of it as a glorified lawn tractor. We snapped a u-joint that happens to connect the engine to the transmission, a very messy $9000 repair. Fuck that. I don't have any complains about the larger ones.

Are you talking about newer models, or older models?  I just picked up a '78 JD 2130, and now you've got me worried.

I think he means these:

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#44]
OP does this thread need to be the best Tractor under $30,000 now?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I think he means these:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he means these:

Yes, ours is a 2320, around 10 years old. Crawl underneath it and look at that u-joint that ties the engine to the entire drive mechanism. It ain't shit. I wouldn't want it on a 8hp lawn mower, let alone a small diesel tractor. And it's a bitch to grease and it's not in the owners manual, so when it fails, it fails big.

The other problem is the front axle. We are constantly replacing the front wheel bearings and seals. Damn thing is leaking right now, I just keep adding gear oil.

Our bigger JD tractors are solid, no complaints.

But they definitely tried to cheap out on the budget version.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL, thanks ARF!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

LOL, thanks ARF!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, thanks ARF!

any higher bids?  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, thanks ARF!

any higher bids?  

ar-jedi

http://www.thompsontractorsales.com/UsedTractors/Full%20Size/KubotaM8540.JPG

Holy tractor, Batman!  You need a loader for that beast!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yes, takes skid loader attachments.  I need to get pallet forks at a minimum.
View Quote

HAve an older Kubota L4200 at work and the slip on pallet forks WILL tweak the hell out of the flimsy bucket over time.
Have a MF 231 with a Bush Hog FEL and it is MUCH more able.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#50]
My tractor was delivered yesterday!  Can't wait to start mowing on Saturday!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top