Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2015 8:40:32 PM EDT
I have many Heirloom, Open Pollinated seeds. I would like to expand my seed collection and am looking for any rare seeds that someone would be willing to share.
If you have something (specific variety) that interests you, please let me know, I am more than willing to trade.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some extra Thessaloniki tomato seeds if needed.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I have rattlesnake snap beans (heirloom) that I am willing to trade. Looking for heirloom: tomatoes, tobacco, or asparagus. Open to other things as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have some extra Thessaloniki tomato seeds if needed.
View Quote

I would like to have a few of those. If you are interested in any of these varieties, please let me know.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have rattlesnake snap beans (heirloom) that I am willing to trade. Looking for heirloom: tomatoes, tobacco, or asparagus. Open to other things as well.
View Quote

Thank you, I already have that variety. Are you interested in anything specific?

These are the Asparagus seeds that I have. The Jersey Giants are from a friend and may not be OP.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#5]
the cherokee purple and/or moneymaker interest me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thank you, I already have that variety. Are you interested in anything specific?

These are the Asparagus seeds that I have. The Jersey Giants are from a friend and may not be OP.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/jpmako/Mobile%20Uploads/A2CC5530-8F85-4C7A-9EBD-AA1A1A34C7F9.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/jpmako/Mobile%20Uploads/A2CC5530-8F85-4C7A-9EBD-AA1A1A34C7F9.jpg

I might be interested in some Asparagus seeds. I don't have much to trade now but I will have heirloom hardneck garlic I can send to you when I harvest it in July/August.

I do have some of last year's garlic now if you want that but I doubt it would make it to this fall for you to plant it; it would probably be for eating only...
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Thread hijack...

how is growing garlic?  I am going to try it as it is on my list of plants I have never grown.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thread hijack...

how is growing garlic?  I am going to try it as it is on my list of plants I have never grown.
View Quote

I have had very limited experience planting garlic.
Last fall we planted one pound of each: Oregon Blue, Russian Red, German Extra Hardy and German Red.
These are all Stiff Neck varieties that were purchased Here
Hopefully we see a good harvest from these and can save and replant some for next year.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thread hijack...

View Quote

It's pretty easy... I never had much luck with it until I found out what I was doing wrong; I was planting in the spring. Most plant in the fall so it can establish it's root system in the fall then start growing immediately in the spring. Just this past weekend I was finally able to till my garden and plant my early-season plants, but the fall-planted garlic is already 3-5 inches tall and growing pretty fast. If I were spring planting it wouldn't be that tall for several more weeks...

As far as the garlic quality, I find it's much more potent than store-bought so when I recipe calls for 4 cloves, if you put 4 cloves in your wife will be pissed that you gave her garlic breath for the rest of the month... I think this is a good thing as long as you are aware of it.

There are also NUMEROUS varieties of hardneck garlic available and they all have unique flavors (I can't really tell much difference between them but I guess some people can). The thing I really like is some varieties grow heads of 6-8 large cloves and others grow heads of 10-14 small cloves. So if I have a recipe that calls for a lot of garlic I don't have to peel garlic for an hour, I can just peel one or 2 large cloves. Yet if I don't want that much garlic I can peel a small clove.

For anybody that is interest in garlic I can send you some when I harvest in July. I have Belarus, Chesnok Red, Music, and Siberian. This is my first year growing the Belarus (trade a guy here on ar15.com some of mine for some of his).
The Music and Siberian are larger clove varieties and the Chesnok Red is a smaller clove.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I would love to try growing it.  I'll take you up on your offer for some out of your summer harvest.  I was thinking about trying it in a corner of my grow room to see how it does under artificial light.  I understand it requires a frost to help the bulb establish.

Let me know when you get close and I will get some shipping costs sent to you for the cloves.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I recently moved into a place for a time where I can't grow much.  Here's a good Southern seed starter pack if someone wants it.  No charge, just pay it forward and promise these will be put to good use.  PM me your shipping address.

Disclaimer that most of the seeds at 2+ years old.  I still got good germination from the two tomato varieties I'm planting this year.  Everything has been stored in a ziplock bag in a dark, dry closet.

Baker Creek Heirloom Varieties
Okra Eagle Pass
Bean Hutterite Soup
Bean Royalty Purple
Pepper Emerald Giant
Pepper Tabasco
Pepper Golden Marconi
Cucumber Beit Alpha
Tomato Principe Borghese
Melon Anonas D'Amerique A Chair Verte (some kind of cantaloupe)
Tomatiollo Verde

Victory Seeds
Oregano
Borage
Pole Bean Blue Lake
Summer Squash Yellow Zucchini
Eggplant Long Purple
Sweet Corn Yukon Chief

Burpee
Winter Squash Early Acorn Hybrid
Sweet Basil
Summer Squash Green Zucchini
Tomato Delicious Organic

Golden Valley Seed
Papaya Hawaiian Solo Sunset
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top