User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The cock might be scarred of you. But it will try to fight your daughter. Pecking order and all of that. You can't change a chicken from being a chicken. It always surprises me when people want to train natural instincts out of an animal as stupid as a chicken.

Kill it off or sell it on Craiglist for $5.
View Quote

This.

It never fails to amaze me.

OP, next you need to get a dairy bull calf.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The cock might be scarred of you. But it will try to fight your daughter. Pecking order and all of that. You can't change a chicken from being a chicken. It always surprises me when people want to train natural instincts out of an animal as stupid as a chicken.

Kill it off or sell it on Craiglist for $5.

This.

And leave the nuts on it.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:50:49 AM EDT
[#4]
My daughter learned to watch the roosters and beat his ass if he asked for it.
It also helps if your have the right breed. Rhoadies were the worst but barredrocks weren't so bad.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:12:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I had no idea they had that much moxy.  I figured a pissed off bird might be kind of funny, capable of inflicting superficial and painful wounds.  No idea they could take on a bobcat and prevail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

But I will also tell you....that rooster defended the hens against a bobcat, and although we had to kill him (his face and half of his body was gone when we got home, but he was still alive) he killed the bobcat and saved the chickens.  Not one feather on one hen was harmed.

I had no idea they had that much moxy.  I figured a pissed off bird might be kind of funny, capable of inflicting superficial and painful wounds.  No idea they could take on a bobcat and prevail.

A rooster is a serious fighter. His job has been, since whatever Creator you believe in created this world, to keep the hens safe.  He has weapons and he knows how to use them.
I've never understood calling a person "chicken" when you think they're a wuss.
Chickens are tough as hell, will defend their flock (and their babies, if it's the hen) to the death, and can inflict serious damage (if it's the rooster).  

A real chicken is a tough-ass bird.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:15:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Feed him from your hand. Yes I'm serious. Roosters protect and provide. If you provide food to him he won't see you as a threat. I've never tried it but an old timer told me that. I'm curious if it works.
View Quote

Oh, and by the way...your username is most interesting.

I had a bottle of you this evening.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:23:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well he has a few months more to live.  I have a hex shaped garden that I want to plant winter veggies in.  It is grown over with weeds so I fenced it in and that is where the chickens will be stuck until end of summer.  It is much larger than their old run so they won't need to free range.

He went after me when I tried to get the hens to realize their house had been moved.  I pinned him and carried him upside down until he stopped fussing.  He left me alone then when I herded the chickens to the house, he even came out and kind of helped me when they got close.
View Quote

Good for you.

They're not bad.  You just have to understand them.

It is what it is...I know they get put in the soup pot (although if he's old enough to fight, he'd be tough as hell and not worth eating)...but they are brave, strong creatures, and they do what they were created to do.

I think we shouldn't get pissed off at them for being warriors when that's what they were created to be. We are the ones who need to get our acts together and not get chickens we don't understand how to manage.

I say all this, and I'll tell you right now, I've been plenty aggravated at a fighting rooster.

I just pen them up. Or I don't get roosters.

Cuz roosters are what they are.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:24:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Take him to a cock fight and bet on him.
View Quote

No.

Is there a state where that's still legal?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:29:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My daughter learned to watch the roosters and beat his ass if he asked for it.It also helps if your have the right breed. Rhoadies were the worst but barredrocks weren't so bad.
View Quote

This.  Some breeds are worse than others.

But the people in this thread who are telling you that you can have a gentle pet rooster?

I'm sorry, but that's just not correct. I'm 50 years old. Been around chickens since I could walk. I'll say right here in front of God and everybody....that's bullshit.
You might get one.  But going through roosters looking for that gentle one is ridiculous.

If you don't want a rooster, don't get a rooster. Because what you're after with a "gentle" rooster is the opposite of why roosters were created (or evolved, if you roll that way).

Doesn't matter about the evolution.  The rooster defends the flock.  To ask anything else of him is arrogant.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't even need a rooster, he was a Tractor Supply mistake.  He continues to be more mellow towards me.  He no longer attacks the food hanger when I refill it.  He will run towards me when I get close to the fence, but that is about it.  He probably would go after me if he was out, but they won't be out for a while if ever again.  I have room to make a much larger fenced in area out in my field.  They seem to like the extra room they have now, so when I move them out of that garden I'll make a similarly sized area for them to stay in.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

From Wikipedia:

Cockfighting remains legal in the unincorporated US territories of Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, and Guam; particularly in Guam and Puerto Rico, cockfighting is a popular spectator pastime with centuries of tradition, thanks to the islands' shared history as Spanish colonies. In 2006, the Virgin Islands adopted a law banning modifications such as the use of artificial spurs. This move, along with the aforementioned 2014 farm bill, sparked fears that cockfighting would be banned everywhere on US soil,[60] but as of 2015 these fears have not materialized.

My neighborhood is mostly Dominican; it's very common here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

It's legal in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands that I know of.  I miss having gamecocks, we called them gallo finos.
It's a shame the dramaqueens got involved and legislated it into oblivion.

ETA: covered already.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Coq au vin

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:51:41 PM EDT
[#14]
How many hens per rooster should you have? I thought 1 to every 8-10 hens but we have 2 roosters and 30 or so hens and they are beating up on the hens pretty bad. I think once the winter is over and they can get back to ranging around it will slow down but I was looking for other experiences. I want the roosters to help take care of the girls but not if they are going to terrorize them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#15]
" />

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a608/alphabrew/Mobile%20Uploads/B0E5753F-8486-451A-9E3C-E5D328CF7D75_zpszfgpv4nk.jpg</a>" />

<a href="http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/alphabrew/media/Mobile%20Uploads/12316C8D-9C92-4EBE-8DE2-91040CC1C634_zpsypwacls4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a608/alphabrew/Mobile%20Uploads/12316C8D-9C92-4EBE-8DE2-91040CC1C634_zpsypwacls4.jpg</a>
View Quote

Shocking display of poor trigger discipline.  To the crockpot with him.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Velociraptors are badass, now cover them in feathers and they are superbadass.

I spent a day in Saint Croix with a buddy of my dads who fights birds, that was some brutal shit watching the fights, fuck even without those razorblades some of those birds were mean as fuck and I wouldn't want to tangle with them without a stick or some such.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't even need a rooster, he was a Tractor Supply mistake.  He continues to be more mellow towards me.  He no longer attacks the food hanger when I refill it.  He will run towards me when I get close to the fence, but that is about it.  He probably would go after me if he was out, but they won't be out for a while if ever again.  I have room to make a much larger fenced in area out in my field.  They seem to like the extra room they have now, so when I move them out of that garden I'll make a similarly sized area for them to stay in.
View Quote

From everything I've ever seen, they do great with a larger area.  Of course, that's more area you have to make tight enough to be a defense against predators if you do that.  A lot of my friends just let their chickens run, and take the predator losses as part of it.  

I enjoy the rooster crowing, so always want one. They're a pita though. Good luck with them this season!
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

From Wikipedia:

Cockfighting remains legal in the unincorporated US territories of Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, and Guam; particularly in Guam and Puerto Rico, cockfighting is a popular spectator pastime with centuries of tradition, thanks to the islands' shared history as Spanish colonies. In 2006, the Virgin Islands adopted a law banning modifications such as the use of artificial spurs. This move, along with the aforementioned 2014 farm bill, sparked fears that cockfighting would be banned everywhere on US soil,[60] but as of 2015 these fears have not materialized.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

From Wikipedia:

It's very common here too, though it's illegal. But it's ugly.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How many hens per rooster should you have? I thought 1 to every 8-10 hens but we have 2 roosters and 30 or so hens and they are beating up on the hens pretty bad. I think once the winter is over and they can get back to ranging around it will slow down but I was looking for other experiences. I want the roosters to help take care of the girls but not if they are going to terrorize them.
View Quote

Is it that they're tearing them up trying to mate with them?

More space will help that, because the hens have a place to go.  You can also cut the spurs off roosters, but it's  painful and needs to be done when they're small. They bleed a lot. I've seen them die from blood loss when that's done too late, so don't try this unless you know what you're doing.

Are you sure it's not dominant hens beating down the lower-tier hens?  

(Not saying it is...just saying that this does happen.)

Kitties
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#21]
His time is done.  Almost all my hens have a bald spot on their backs where he was mounting them.  I clipped his spurs hoping that would help.  It didn't, and yesterday I caught him ripping feathers off the hens with his beak while he was mounting them.

I cut his head off and butchered him this morning.  Had to give him to my neighbor. My squeamish wife would not touch it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

From everything I've ever seen, they do great with a larger area.  Of course, that's more area you have to make tight enough to be a defense against predators if you do that.  A lot of my friends just let their chickens run, and take the predator losses as part of it.  

I enjoy the rooster crowing, so always want one. They're a pita though. Good luck with them this season!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they are a pain, but I like them around as well, unless their behavior gets bad.  My Buff Orpington rooster is very sweet and we can all pick him up.  The Columbian Wyandotte rooster doesn't let you touch him but otherwise doesn't have a bad bone in his body.  They both have their own flock of hens.

My wife and the kids insisted on hatching out an egg last August and it turned out to be a rooster, Mooney.  Mooney is a cross between a Columbian Wyandotte rooster and Silver-Laced Wyandotte hen.  He is aggressive with the wife and kids but knows not to touch me.  I can pick him up and pet him.  I'll keep him around but he has to be kept from everyone in a cage or outdoor pen.  I told my wife that if she wants him dead she'll have to do it herself.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
His time is done.  Almost all my hens have a bald spot on their backs where he was mounting them.  I clipped his spurs hoping that would help.  It didn't, and yesterday I caught him ripping feathers off the hens with his beak while he was mounting them.

I cut his head off and butchered him this morning.  Had to give him to my neighbor. My squeamish wife would not touch it.
View Quote

The bald spots are normal-ish if you don't have enough hens for them.  They probably need 15+ so they're not mating them too hard.  He shouldn't be ripping feathers out but it's normal for them to grab the hen's neck.

You did what you had to do.  I had to kill a bad rooster last summer, Roo.  He was a Silver-Laced Wyandotte.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Some Roosters are just assholes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Had one roo many years ago that would run across the barnyard and attach everyone.  

One day he attached my MIL and she told me she wanted it gone. (They were at her house).

I loaded up a .22 revolver, walked out into the yard, he saw me and came running.  

About 10 yards away, I shot him, watched the breast feathers part and he rolled back.  He got up, shook his head and came running at me again.  

I ended up unloading the gun on him before the bastard dies.

He was good eating after smoking on the smoker the next day.
View Quote

Holy sh*t.  Six shots to put down a rooster. GD would ask, What Round For Angry Rooster?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#27]
their brain has got to be the size of a pencil eraser.
probably can't learn much
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#28]
My rooster is quite mean, but he's calm as a hindu cow when you hold him.  You just have be fast/brave enough to grab him before he kicks you in the face!

" />
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My rooster is quite mean, but he's calm as a hindu cow when you hold him.  You just have be fast/brave enough to grab him before he kicks you in the face!

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a608/alphabrew/FF22E819-2B0A-4842-8812-E2E0D8B62803_zpsampumkvj.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Good to know you're not a flat-biller...

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#31]
The way I look at it there is no option... the bird must go.  I have had two roosters in the past that had to be put down.. they were relentless.  I have also had two roosters in the past that were great, unfortunately they both died prematurely (one by a coon).  Some are good, some are bad.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:28:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:45:11 AM EDT
[#33]
You know what to do..

I have had mean roosters in the past and the only answer is death.  How you dispatch the  rooster is your call. I have used a shotgun and a 22 pistol. Both worked well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:57:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

And that right there is the division.  The MEAN roosters are the warriors. They survive because they're fighters, and they will defend the hens to their deaths.

The gentle roosters are prey.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The way I look at it there is no option... the bird must go.  I have had two roosters in the past that had to be put down.. they were relentless.  I have also had two roosters in the past that were great, unfortunately they both died prematurely (one by a coon).  Some are good, some are bad.

And that right there is the division.  The MEAN roosters are the warriors. They survive because they're fighters, and they will defend the hens to their deaths.

How do you go about finding a good mean rooster though. Both of ours have been killed in the last month. I want at least one rooster in the flock... On backyard chickens it was suggested to get a game rooster... which is all well and good except how do I go around asking for a fighting rooster without getting caught up in misc illegal activities.....
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:08:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:17:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I would go for a breed that has a reputation for difficult roosters.

Rhode Island Reds tend to be tough birds.

There are other breeds that "tend" to that, and some that are less aggressive as a rule.

But you can always get an anomaly. They're not robots..they're actually individuals, with personalities of a sort, if you take the time to get to know the birds.  Not saying you should..just saying that it's not like ordering a happy meal.  No two are the same.

You can read a little, spend some time on the chicken forums (there are LOTS) and get to know the breeds a bit.

I would not go for a game rooster, as what you really want is a workhorse rooster who will breed and defend your flock.  

And if you do want a game rooster, you can order one of those online I'm certain.

Ordering a game rooster is not illegal. Having one is not illegal.

Fighting one for money, in many places, is illegal.  You are not going to do that, so you don't have any worries.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you go about finding a good mean rooster though. Both of ours have been killed in the last month. I want at least one rooster in the flock... On backyard chickens it was suggested to get a game rooster... which is all well and good except how do I go around asking for a fighting rooster without getting caught up in misc illegal activities.....

There are other breeds that "tend" to that, and some that are less aggressive as a rule.

But you can always get an anomaly. They're not robots..they're actually individuals, with personalities of a sort, if you take the time to get to know the birds.  Not saying you should..just saying that it's not like ordering a happy meal.  No two are the same.

You can read a little, spend some time on the chicken forums (there are LOTS) and get to know the breeds a bit.

I would not go for a game rooster, as what you really want is a workhorse rooster who will breed and defend your flock.  

And if you do want a game rooster, you can order one of those online I'm certain.

Fighting one for money, in many places, is illegal.  You are not going to do that, so you don't have any worries.

The wife wants another barred rock so now I am on the search for "problem" barred rock roosters, I think with a little space and plenty of ladies they wont be a problem.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:06:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:47:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Barred Rock...we call those domineckers here in the south.   i have never seen a dominecker rooster who was overly aggressive. HOWEVER, they will defend their flocks.
So if that is what you want, that may be a good breed for you.

OR you could get all barred rock hens and get a different kind of rooster.

I'm assuming that what you want is eggs, not babies.

If your reason for having chickens is to breed chickens, that's a whole nuther issue.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The wife wants another barred rock so now I am on the search for "problem" barred rock roosters, I think with a little space and plenty of ladies they wont be a problem.

Barred Rock...we call those domineckers here in the south.   i have never seen a dominecker rooster who was overly aggressive. HOWEVER, they will defend their flocks.
So if that is what you want, that may be a good breed for you.

OR you could get all barred rock hens and get a different kind of rooster.

I'm assuming that what you want is eggs, not babies.

If your reason for having chickens is to breed chickens, that's a whole nuther issue.

yeah we just want the rooster to help manage the flock, we dont plan on hatching any chicks but you never know. If one of our birds were to go broody we would let her hatch them out.
I was up for just any rooster but the Wife wants to replace the two barred rocks we lost with more barred rocks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:17:44 AM EDT
[#39]
I just chopped the head off of my mean rooster with a hatchet. You can make them calm towards you, but not towards others, and you'll never feel safe with your back turned to them.

It has made all the difference in the world. My wife wouldn't even go into the yard when the rooster was out. Now she hand feeds the remaining chickens every day while she's working on the garden.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top