Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/9/2015 6:19:48 PM EDT
Any way to break a rooster that is mean and attacks me?  I'm tired of fighting him every time I change the water.  Lately when I let the chickens out to free range for a bit he has been attacking me then also.  I just got done beating him with a metal pipe, he would not back down until I threw a tomato plant cage on him.  I'm also concerned he will hurt my three year old daughter if she is out in the yard when they are out.

The only thing I like about him is that he keeps the girls rounded up when they free range.

Is into the broiler my only option?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I've dealt w/this in the past.  Broiler was what I came up with.  They're yard birds of reduced mental agility.  I've found they're tough to teach...
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Had one roo many years ago that would run across the barnyard and attach everyone.  

One day he attached my MIL and she told me she wanted it gone. (They were at her house).

I loaded up a .22 revolver, walked out into the yard, he saw me and came running.  

About 10 yards away, I shot him, watched the breast feathers part and he rolled back.  He got up, shook his head and came running at me again.  

I ended up unloading the gun on him before the bastard dies.

He was good eating after smoking on the smoker the next day.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a bantam rooster once that turned mean, and he started chasing my son who was about 4 or 5 at the time.  He'd run all the way across the yard and would attack my son's legs.  I'd chase him off, kick him, whack him with a stick, etc.  Then one day he jumped up and attacked my son's face, again completely unprovoked.  That's when I grabbed the 870 and put an end to that.

I don't think there is really a way to teach a rooster to stop being aggressive.  You either have to pen him up, or put him down.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Roosters attack because they see you as a threat to the hens or a rival cock.  Most likely the latter.
Every time he runs at you grab him up and hold him no matter how hard he struggles or yelps.  Do this every time for a couple weeks and if he persists hold him upside down by the legs and again keep hold no matter how hard he struggles till he calms down.  It is also a good idea to let the hens see it so he is humiliated.  Do not let him breed when you are around or he thinks you are submissive to him.
This may sound odd but it is the common way to break a rooster.  The bottom line is he must know and except you are the alpha cock.  
Beating him is not a good idea, it will just make him meaner and verify you are a challenging cock that he may very well overtake the next day if he looses this time.  It is better to let him know he is no challenge and you can simply restrain him while you feed the hens or do yard work.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Roosters attack because they see you as a threat to the hens or a rival cock.  Most likely the latter.
Every time he runs at you grab him up and hold him no matter how hard he struggles or yelps.  Do this every time for a couple weeks and if he persists hold him upside down by the legs and again keep hold no matter how hard he struggles till he calms down.  It is also a good idea to let the hens see it so he is humiliated.  Do not let him breed when you are around or he thinks you are submissive to him.
This may sound odd but it is the common way to break a rooster.  The bottom line is he must know and except you are the alpha cock.  
Beating him is not a good idea, it will just make him meaner and verify you are a challenging cock that he may very well overtake the next day if he looses this time.  It is better to let him know he is no challenge and you can simply restrain him while you feed the hens or do yard work.
View Quote

that might work for the OP, but his daughter is still going to be a potential target.  my rooster clearly targetted my son because he was smaller and easier to intimidate.

don't wait until your rooster attacks your 3-year-old. finish him.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think he thinks I am his rival.  He normally does not go after me when I let them out of the pen.  Today, all the hens followed me as I walked away from the pen and I think that set him off.

I'll break out the welding gloves and see if I can grab him.  I have a few weeks before the birds will be out in the yard at the same time as my girl.  If I don't feel like I have resolved his behavior in that time then I'll off him.  

It would be nice if he chilled out.  The hens are cool, you can pick them up and hold them and they don't fuss.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]

You will never stop this.  I've broken aggressive rooster's necks before and they still want more until they give up the ghost.  I have never once seen a rooster go from full aggressive flogging to calm and I've raised thousands of birds.

If he is a good show/breeding bird, keep him confined and wear leather gloves if you can't handle the hits.  If you have children and don't wish to keep him confined, then have your children suffer the consequences of your bad decisions or snap his neck and move on.  I also usually clip spurs but this requires repeated effort.

Chickens are way too stupid to change behaviors.  I've had calm ones that jump on to me when I get in the coop to roost and others that do the same to flog.  Guess which ones survive more often than not...
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had mine one cochin rooster act up.  

The first few times i chased him around the yard with a stick and swatted him a few times.  
A few days later he did it again and I batted him with the stick.  That didn't seem to hold him.

The next time he did it was inside the hen house and I grabbed him by the throat and carried him to a separate hutch and tossed him in solitary.   I think I did that one more time grabbing him by the feet and things were pretty good for a long time.  During the winter I'd handle him a few times to put petroleum jelly on his comb to prevent frost bite (not sure it does anything) and that went well enough, he tolerated the treatment with no nipping.  Now that they're cooped up due to the bitter cold we've had he's been a little cocky fluffing up his neck and kicking chips.  I make a point of ignoring him and going about the watering and feed chores.  While doing so I'll make a point of leaning over him towering over him just to remind him he's much smaller.

ETA- I've also read to avoid making chicken sounds.   Talk to them with words not bird talk.  {shrugs}

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I had one that attacked my son when he had just started walking.  Spurs to his chest , knocked him down, thankfully it was winter and he was wearing a heavy coat.

Rooster lived approximately 30 seconds after that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Two solutions to your problem.  Give away the rooster or make him into a meal.  I grew up with chickens and other fowl and have seen this several times.  We had one rooster that no matter how many times he was knocked down or chased away he would always come back at you.  One of our neighbors sons was flogged in the chest when he was about 4, he's a teenager now and still has two little marks to his chest.  Roosters are easy to replace getting an eye fixed is nearly impossible if one spurs you in the face.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#12]
i have never been able to change a mean rooster.

i can make them wary of me.

but not wary of all people.

it is easier to get another rooster.

once you experience a good rooster.

you will never waste another minute on a problem rooster.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I got 2 roosters right now, one of them mean and he's on thin ice.

We kept him because he's a tough dude, survived a coyote attack.  But he started with the facing me and jumping, and I drop kick him in mid air every time.  Then I chase him trying to get another one in.  He finally stopped that and yields, but he crows every time he sees me.  This is annoying in the chicken house because it's loud.  I started whipping his ass in the house, so at least now he goes outside to crow.

He needs to be put in the pot, but I've just been too lazy to do it.  We have no kids.  Roosters are a dime-a-dozen, I'd eat him if I was you.

Edit:  I forgot to add, that if he's mean, he may be abusing the hens, like picking them on the roosts; another reason to give him the heave-ho

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Tag.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've dealt w/this in the past.  Broiler was what I came up with.  They're yard birds of reduced mental agility.  I've found they're tough to teach...
View Quote

This.  You can't teach hens or roosters anything.  They know where food is, and they can become acclimated to you if they are handled frequently as chicks, but they are largely unteachable.  I don't have the time or patience to deal with aggressive chickens.  They get culled ASAP.  We culled a couple gold sexlinks last fall that were overly aggressive.  They were both prolific layers, but they were pecking the $#!t out of the other hens.  While I miss the eggs, I much enjoy seeing the other hens with their feathers and not bleeding.  Even though we lost the egg production by removing them, we gained egg production back from the ones that were stressed out by the constant bullying so it was actually a win.  We have actually been without a rooster for almost 2 years.  I really don't miss them and the hens don't seem to mind.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Roosters are cheap - even rare breed roosters.

Come visit - I have 7 black copper maran roosters I need to off load (or stew).
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Eat him.
His instincts are to fight to the death anything he sees as a threat to his flock.
You won't change his mind by reasoning with him.

Eat him, and assimilate his power.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Send him to freezer camp. Then replace.
We've done it several times now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#19]
He would not come near me today.  Opened the door and walked towards him and he went the other way.  I tried a couple more times and he kept moving away from me, I did not feel like trying to run him down, I'll try again next time I let them out.  I found some blood on the leg of the pants I had been wearing so maybe I hurt him more than I realized.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You realize that the issue isn't how he responds to you, but how he responds to your daughter, yes?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He would not come near me today.  Opened the door and walked towards him and he went the other way.  I tried a couple more times and he kept moving away from me, I did not feel like trying to run him down, I'll try again next time I let them out.  I found some blood on the leg of the pants I had been wearing so maybe I hurt him more than I realized.

You realize that the issue isn't how he responds to you, but how he responds to your daughter, yes?

yep,  even when I had (temporarily) modified my rooster's behavior toward me, he still wanted to charge the UPS guy.  
A kid is an easier target for the rooster than the strange adult.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#22]
decent roo's hatch everyday no sense in putting up with one that attacks you or your kids, they dont even get one chance around here they get aggressive they turn into chicken dinner right quick.

we hatch literally thousand of bird a year I don't have time to deal with aggressive ones.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#23]
We had several other roosters that never showed any aggression toward us.  they were protective of their girls, but didn't go chasing after any of us.  that's why I wouldn't tolerate or risk an aggressive one around my kids, you can get another rooster, hopefully one that isn't mean.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I had an aggressive rooster that would attack me every time I went in the pen. I beat that thing retarded with a shovel handle for a couple of weeks until he became so scared of me, he'd run the other way as soon as I entered. He was still aggressive to everyone else and I couldn't turn my back on him or he'd take a couple of cheap shots and run away again.

you'll never make him anything other than wary  of you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#25]
When I was a kid, a Rooster attacked my mom and she knocked it unconscious with a shovel.  She thought she killed it, but he groggily woke up after a few minutes and was basically fine.  I don't remember if his attitude was adjusted or not, was like 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got 2 roosters right now, one of them mean and he's on thin ice.

We kept him because he's a tough dude, survived a coyote attack.  But he started with the facing me and jumping, and I drop kick him in mid air every time.  Then I chase him trying to get another one in.  He finally stopped that and yields, but he crows every time he sees me.  This is annoying in the chicken house because it's loud.  I started whipping his ass in the house, so at least now he goes outside to crow.

He needs to be put in the pot, but I've just been too lazy to do it.  We have no kids.  Roosters are a dime-a-dozen, I'd eat him if I was you.

Edit:  I forgot to add, that if he's mean, he may be abusing the hens, like picking them on the roosts; another reason to give him the heave-ho

View Quote

This big Black Star rooster got regulated today.  Tried a sneak attack as I walked by.  After reading this thread, I realized I was getting tired of his BS.  So, I blame y'all

The Americauna gets the job now.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#27]
that might work for the OP, but his daughter is still going to be a potential target. my rooster clearly targetted my son because he was smaller and easier to intimidate.

don't wait until your rooster attacks your 3-year-old. finish him.
View Quote

This,BTDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#28]
The cock might be scarred of you. But it will try to fight your daughter. Pecking order and all of that. You can't change a chicken from being a chicken. It always surprises me when people want to train natural instincts out of an animal as stupid as a chicken.

Kill it off or sell it on Craiglist for $5.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Had one roo many years ago that would run across the barnyard and attach everyone.  

One day he attached my MIL and she told me she wanted it gone. (They were at her house).

I loaded up a .22 revolver, walked out into the yard, he saw me and came running.  

About 10 yards away, I shot him, watched the breast feathers part and he rolled back.  He got up, shook his head and came running at me again.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I would , too, cause yesterday my experience was a testament to the hydrostatic shock theory (9mm JHP @ 3 feet)

The damn feathers, down and all, blew slap off that thing except for wing, neck and legs.  It was like they came unglued and blew all over the field.  Instant nekkid rooster.  Never seen anything like it.

Saved some time on dressing it, that's for sure.

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#31]
My grandmother had one that attacked her once.

She made a fresh chicken dinner that evening.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Chop off head...put in oven.
Enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Wonder if pepper spray would break one from attacking people without removing his little feathered head?

Doc
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Chop off head...put in oven.
Enjoy.
View Quote

^ Fresh chicken. Whats the downside?
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Only reason mine ain't in my belly is he does his job...he can get mean but...nothing crazy yet. I've had a run in or three with him....seems like every two to three months he needs a reminder to stay the shell back lol .
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Feed him from your hand. Yes I'm serious. Roosters protect and provide. If you provide food to him he won't see you as a threat. I've never tried it but an old timer told me that. I'm curious if it works.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 1:05:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Any way to break a rooster that is mean and attacks me?  I'm tired of fighting him every time I change the water.  Lately when I let the chickens out to free range for a bit he has been attacking me then also.  I just got done beating him with a metal pipe, he would not back down until I threw a tomato plant cage on him.  I'm also concerned he will hurt my three year old daughter if she is out in the yard when they are out.

The only thing I like about him is that he keeps the girls rounded up when they free range.

Is into the broiler my only option?
View Quote

It is their nature, and you will never choose a rooster that you can be guaranteed will not try to fight you.

You could put him in a pen--or otherwise contain him in a part of the yard where your kids won't be.

I grew up going to gather eggs, and I learned early on to carry a stick with me.

I learned to recognize the specific, soft  plat plat splat sound of a rooster's feet hitting the path as he came after me.  I've faced off with them my entire life, the most recent encounter being four years ago, when we had a white leghorn rooster who was a fighter.

But I will also tell you....that rooster defended the hens against a bobcat, and although we had to kill him (his face and half of his body was gone when we got home, but he was still alive) he killed the bobcat and saved the chickens.  Not one feather on one hen was harmed.

That's why they are fighters, and that's why they're meant to be the way they are.

I don't know that this will help you have a kinder view of your rooster or not.  It's really aggravating to have to carry a stick to the henhouse.

If I didn't have my chickens contained, I would not have a rooster for this reason.

So just know...it is their natural job to be defenders.  You might consider that when you decide how you want to run your chicken operation.

For many people, just buying hens, then replenishing the hens that die each spring, works well, and they don't have to deal with a rooster trying to defend the flock.

But you should take into account the role of the rooster before you expect anything different.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 1:07:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Feed him from your hand. Yes I'm serious. Roosters protect and provide. If you provide food to him he won't see you as a threat. I've never tried it but an old timer told me that. I'm curious if it works.
View Quote

No, I'm sorry. That won't work.  He will still be your pet and eat from your hand...and he will still fight you when he comes to maturity and decides his job is to defend his flock.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No, I'm sorry. That won't work.  He will still be your pet and eat from your hand...and he will still fight you when he comes to maturity and decides his job is to defend his flock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ha, that's funny,  mine was a prick right from the phase when they were just able to be differentiated by sex.  I'd hold out a hand of food, the hens would peck at the food and tap my hand as they did.  The young rooster would deliberately bite my hand hard and not necessary underneath the food.  

Granted some people have luck with pet like roosters that follow them around and like to hang out with them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#40]

But I will also tell you....that rooster defended the hens against a bobcat, and although we had to kill him (his face and half of his body was gone when we got home, but he was still alive) he killed the bobcat and saved the chickens.  Not one feather on one hen was harmed.
View Quote

I had no idea they had that much moxy.  I figured a pissed off bird might be kind of funny, capable of inflicting superficial and painful wounds.  No idea they could take on a bobcat and prevail.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I had no idea they had that much moxy.  I figured a pissed off bird might be kind of funny, capable of inflicting superficial and painful wounds.  No idea they could take on a bobcat and prevail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They can grow spurs 1.5" long.  More than enough to do very serious damage....

True Story time, kids...

When I was about 8 years old, my dad raised a semi-free range flock of chickens.  We had a bad rooster.  He was known for being a sneak attacker and had gotten his licks in on adults a few times.

My older brother (9yrs old) and I (8 yr old) and my youngest brother (4 yr old) were sent to gather eggs.  We were expressly told "Do NOT leave your younger brother alone down there..because the rooster will spur him."

Well, my younger brother was the 'baby' and that meant that HE must be lifted (by us) to look in each next and HE must be allowed (by us) to gather each egg and HE must be given each egg that he could not reach ...close enough so that he could now reach it.

If not, it was a screaming crying fit that lead to a spanking for me and my older brother.

So ... we finally had just enough of his shitass attitude and decided to 'race' back to the house.  We figured a few spurs in his ass would teach him our role in this party.

We laughed all the way to the house, never looked back.

The screams of my kid brother brought my dad running.  The rooster had my kid brother down and spurred him so bad that it lead to an emergency room visit and multiple spankings for my brother and I.

Honestly, we never felt bad about it.  The whiny little fucker had it coming.  I don't recall, ever, discussing it with regret with my older brother.

But, moral of the story ... yeah ... kill the rooster.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
https://youtu.be/A43JOxLa5MM

I can't seem to embed death metal rooster

View Quote

I tried to embed a video earlier in another thread and it wouldn't work for me ether.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Well he has a few months more to live.  I have a hex shaped garden that I want to plant winter veggies in.  It is grown over with weeds so I fenced it in and that is where the chickens will be stuck until end of summer.  It is much larger than their old run so they won't need to free range.

He went after me when I tried to get the hens to realize their house had been moved.  I pinned him and carried him upside down until he stopped fussing.  He left me alone then when I herded the chickens to the house, he even came out and kind of helped me when they got close.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I tried to embed a video earlier in another thread and it wouldn't work for me ether.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Freshly pinned in GD
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Freshly pinned in GD

YouTube's share url link now contains https... take out the s so the url reads http and place it using the embed feature as previously done.

YouTube gives you this:
Change it to this:
http://youtu.be/A43JOxLa5MM
and embed:

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Had one named Rotten Ralph.  He was so bad he would chase after my dirt bike.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

True Story time, kids...

When I was about 8 years old, my dad raised a semi-free range flock of chickens.  We had a bad rooster.  He was known for being a sneak attacker and had gotten his licks in on adults a few times.

My older brother (9yrs old) and I (8 yr old) and my youngest brother (4 yr old) were sent to gather eggs.  We were expressly told "Do NOT leave your younger brother alone down there..because the rooster will spur him."

Well, my younger brother was the 'baby' and that meant that HE must be lifted (by us) to look in each next and HE must be allowed (by us) to gather each egg and HE must be given each egg that he could not reach ...close enough so that he could now reach it.

If not, it was a screaming crying fit that lead to a spanking for me and my older brother.

So ... we finally had just enough of his shitass attitude and decided to 'race' back to the house.  We figured a few spurs in his ass would teach him our role in this party.

The screams of my kid brother brought my dad running.  The rooster had my kid brother down and spurred him so bad that it lead to an emergency room visit and multiple spankings for my brother and I.

Honestly, we never felt bad about it.  The whiny little fucker had it coming.  I don't recall, ever, discussing it with regret with my older brother.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True Story time, kids...

TRG

Things I want to do with TRG:

Camping
Tend the chickens
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:59:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Take him to a cock fight and bet on him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top