Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2014 1:10:47 PM EDT
I've been using this Stihl for almost 20 years.  Seriously, 20.

Last season it began to develop an issue.  The chain would get loose.  I'd tighten it up and cut another tank of gas...chain is loose.  I mean, sloppy, about to slop off.

I'd tighten it and by then I was out of chain tensioner movement.

I thought I was doing something wrong.  Over tightening, using too light of bar oil, pushing the bar/chain too hard?

The other day I bought a new bar, 20" and installed it along with the new chain that came with it.  The tensioner was already at HALF its movement before the chain was even used.  Just installing required half the movement.

I cut exactly ONE tank of gas with it and the chain was so loose it was slopping off.

I'm not pushing down on the saw, I am running it with bar/chain oil.  The bar is not heat stressed (no visual burns, or paint missing).  The chain shows some wear, but, I can 'hear' a singing chain when it is not being lubed properly.

Holding the running saw over dry leaves shows a steady smear of oil droplets spinning off the chain.

Something is wrong, but, I don't know where, mechanically, I should look now.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you cutting?  I used to cut a LOT of almond wood.  It was pretty tough on chains and tightening every tank of gas was not out of the realm, especially with an older chain.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Just in case you don't know,
Be sure to push up on the bar when
Installing it. Not doing so has caused my chain to
Loosen up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you cutting?  I used to cut a LOT of almond wood.  It was pretty tough on chains and tightening every tank of gas was not out of the realm, especially with an older chain.
View Quote

Oak.  Sweet Gum. Elm.

I cut old trees, mostly.  They have been standing dead, or laying on the ground, for a year or two.  I seldom cut green wood.  

The wood I do cut is normally 30-40% rotted.  This hasn't changed.  Same wood variety that I have always been cutting.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Slacker:
Just in case you don't know,
Be sure to push up on the bar when
Installing it. Not doing so has caused my chain to
Loosen up.
View Quote

I don't lift up on the bar.  I'll try it, but, I've never had the issue in the past.

I'll need to cut more wood in the next day or so and I'll see if lifting the tip helps.

Ironic username.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Twenty year old saw ... willing to bet the tension mechanism has galling or some stripping in the threads.  

Have you also checked the nuts/studs clamping the bar for galling or stripping?

I replace the nuts every couple years.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Twenty year old saw ... willing to bet the tension mechanism has galling or some stripping in the threads.  

View Quote

I'll check them.

Any chance you might have a pic that could show what they should look like and what a bad one looks like?

TRG
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'll check them.

Any chance you might have a pic that could show what they should look like and what a bad one looks like?

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll check them.

TRG
IIRC, those saws adjusted with a screw in front of the saw parallel with the blade.  

If you remove the blade, look at differences in wear on the black threaded shaft that moves the adjuster back and forth.  The wear is typically not on that shaft but in the adjuster itself.  

Blow it out with compressed air so you can see better.   Look for missing e-clips, seen that happen also.  

Also, arboristsite forum has gurus that are much better than I to diagnose and get parts if necessary.

They also have a manual library good for exploded parts diagrams.  

It has been a long time since I handled one of those saws ... they have a good rep for reliability.  

My saws are much newer, a 362 and a 441cm.

I'm going to check on some manuals I may have in my garage ...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Galling = threads look stripped.  Usually the nut, if not caught in time, the stud starts wearing.  
Look at uniformity of threads.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#9]
complete tensioner $17

And that Canker Disease killed oak will suck the oil of the chain like brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Forgot about this .... When was last time sprocket was changed?

Old worn sprocket will wear out a new chain quickly.  

I buy chain by the dozen and swap out in the field when needed.  

Fleabay has good prices on Stihl chain if you buy quantity.  

Old chain and new sprocket is kind of OK, new chain and worn sprocket is not OK.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe a stupid question, but you are using a Stihl chain right?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why would that make a difference?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Old chain and new sprocket is kind of OK, new chain and worn sprocket is not OK.  
View Quote

I've never changed the sprocket.

I'll get pics of it as well.

As for the chain question, I've used Oregon, Stihl and Countryside (TSC brand)

TRG
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't. ... but some people are going to believe that it does.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Chances are that your tensioner is stripped. Most Stihl dealers should carry the parts and it is easy to change.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes a difference between a high quality chain (not necessarily Stihl) and a POS that wears out cutting a maple tree .
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:31:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It makes a difference between a high quality chain (not necessarily Stihl) and a POS that wears out cutting a maple tree .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOTHING on the market will stretch that easy and fast...not even the HD china garbage. The Cheapest of the cheap chains on E-Bay, stop stretching after 2-3 adjustments...they go dull on popple like a bastard, but stop stretching at a certain pont.

It's either the Rim sprocket is down past the nubbins, or his adjuster has finally gotten stripped out.

Being 20 Years old, I'm guessing a 6 dollar, 7 pin rim is in order, and was worn out 5 years ago.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:I've never changed the sprocket.

View All Quotes
Quoted:I've never changed the sprocket.

General rule of thumb is a new sprocket for ever 2-3 chains. If it's a rim sprocket (I'm not sure the 026 had a rim, sprocket, the sprocket may be integral to the clutch drum) it should have wear indicators on it.

Quoted:Being 20 Years old, I'm guessing a 6 dollar, 7 pin rim is in order, and was worn out 5 years ago.

That's where my money is at right now. Extremely worn sprocket will contribute to the tensioner running out of adjustment and depending on how well the chain is seated into the sprocket at the time of tensioning could cause the problem TRG is having with the chain "loosening up" after running it. IE, while tensioning the chain isn't seated into the wear marks on the sprocket very well, but when run it settles into those wear marks and becomes loose.

FWIW, worn sprockets look like this:

New ones look like this: Pay particular attention to the last image (rim sprocket). Notice those tiny little notches/grooves to either side of the main groove the drive-link runs in? Just like the wear bars on a tire, when those notches disappear the sprocket is beyond it's effective life.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Another vote that the worm in the tensioner is stripped or worn.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd look close at the little nub that fits into the bar so that it can be tightened or loosened. The part that fits into the bar is probably worn to a taper and is letting the bar slip.
I had the exact issue with my chain getting loose last year and replaced that part and no more loose chain. It is the piece that the adjustment screw moves and it was only a couple of dollars.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the advice.  I hve not had time to go out there and tear in to it.  

I am going to 'guess' that wear is the issue on that sprocket.  I cut 6-8 cords per year.  I've been doing that for 20...

TRG
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:33:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the advice.  I hve not had time to go out there and tear in to it.  

I am going to 'guess' that wear is the issue on that sprocket.  I cut 6-8 cords per year.  I've been doing that for 20...

TRG
View Quote

The local Stihl dealer will have rim sprockets for under 10 bucks, and they are easy to swap out.

While you're in there, replace the clutch bearing too, as it was time to do so around 2002....and maybe eyeball the clutch and drum for wear.

Send the old rim to Stihl along with the story. I'm not sure if it's some sort of record or not, but it's going top be close.
Who knows, maybe the Krauts will gift you with a Hat or something.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#23]
IIRC, Stihl saws have a lifetime warranty on the clutch.
(For non commercial use)
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I've sold Stihl my entire life and my bet is it is the sprocket worn.  The chain falls into the groove allowing the chain to loosen up.  A close second bet would be an issue with the chain tensioner mechanism.  

Both have already been covered, but I guarantee it is one of those two issues.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#25]
In addition, when that happens to my farm boss I clean out the oil tunnel/groove in the bar and everything is fine again.  Follow the other posters' advice first.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The local Stihl dealer will have rim sprockets for under 10 bucks, and they are easy to swap out.

While you're in there, replace the clutch bearing too, as it was time to do so around 2002....and maybe eyeball the clutch and drum for wear.

Send the old rim to Stihl along with the story. I'm not sure if it's some sort of record or not, but it's going top be close.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

I have not had time to take pics and pull things apart, but, just from a glance, yeah I have some major wear there.

I probably should send it to stihl tell them, "Use this one for breeding purposes.  It's The One."

TRG
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've sold Stihl my entire life and my bet is it is the sprocket worn.  The chain falls into the groove allowing the chain to loosen up.  A close second bet would be an issue with the chain tensioner mechanism.  

View Quote

If you have the parts in stock ... I have two 026s that I will need sprockets and tensioners for.

I can IM you my address or you got a number I can call and order?

TRG
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have not had time to take pics and pull things apart, but, just from a glance, yeah I have some major wear there.

I probably should send it to stihl tell them, "Use this one for breeding purposes.  It's The One."

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG

Ya need a new rim sprocket, Clutch bearing, and a couple of E-clips.
Always keep a spare E-clip, duct taped in the saw box somewhere with a spare Bar nut.

Damn things shoot off the clutch, and engage some sort of diabolical stealth technology bullshit 9 times out of 10.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Damn things shoot off the clutch, and engage some sort of diabolical stealth technology bullshit 9 times out of 10.

View Quote

I'm going to borrow this quote for a couple of weeks. I'll put it back when I'm done.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#30]
It's suffering from not being a Husky.......
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you have the parts in stock ... I have two 026s that I will need sprockets and tensioners for.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Sure!  I'll look tomorrow.  I'd bet we have a couple and I'd be glad to ship them to you.  I'll look and get in touch about it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're right about that.... after 20 some years of neglect (no offense intended OP) it's still running, which brought to light the need to replace the rim sprocket and do a little real maintenance. Husky doesn't have that problem because they just simply don't last 20+ years...

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You're right about that.... after 20 some years of neglect (no offense intended OP) it's still running, which brought to light the need to replace the rim sprocket and do a little real maintenance. Husky doesn't have that problem because they just simply don't last 20+ years...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a two month old infant at home, cold weather, and now a sick dog I haven't pulled these saws apart yet.  But, since posting I have cut another two trailers of wood (four different oaks, standing dead)  with the saw.

TRG

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#34]

That piece of wire...?  Dunno.

Pulled it out.

Thank you JPL, in advance.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#35]

TRG
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:With a two month old infant at home, cold weather, and now a sick dog I haven't pulled these saws apart yet.  But, since posting I have cut another two trailers of wood (four different oaks, standing dead)  with the saw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:With a two month old infant at home, cold weather, and now a sick dog I haven't pulled these saws apart yet.  But, since posting I have cut another two trailers of wood (four different oaks, standing dead)  with the saw.

I hear you there... 1 month old here... stuff doesn't stop when little ones come along...

FWIW, I wasn't knocking you or anything. If you don't know the sprocket needs maintenance (a LOT of people don't) then you can't really be blamed too much. I was just pointing out to the funny man that thinks Husky is superior, this saw made it 20 years and is still going even with a little neglect.

Quoted:
<a href="http://s671.photobucket.com/user/TheRedGoat/media/garden2014/20150107_133657_zps24cfc78b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv71/TheRedGoat/garden2014/20150107_133657_zps24cfc78b.jpg</a>

Wow, that's some pretty good wear!!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I hear you there... 1 month old here... stuff doesn't stop when little ones come along...

FWIW, I wasn't knocking you or anything. If you don't know the sprocket needs maintenance (a LOT of people don't) then you can't really be blamed too much. I was just pointing out to the funny man that thinks Husky is superior, this saw made it 20 years and is still going even with a little neglect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
<a href="http://s671.photobucket.com/user/TheRedGoat/media/garden2014/20150107_133657_zps24cfc78b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv71/TheRedGoat/garden2014/20150107_133657_zps24cfc78b.jpg</a>

Two decades ... minimum.  Saw was purchased from a pawn shop.  Used, but lightly, when purchased.  Late 1990s.  96? 98?  Not sure.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

In my lap yesterday.  I was trying to post here .. he had other plans.

This was moments after his bath, whereupon he peed from the sink in to the toaster.  Face says, "Bathe me again, and I take out the coffee pot..."

TRG
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Parts should be on the way tomorrow!

'Preciate the business.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

'Preciate the business.  
View Quote

Price includes installation and on-site tech support, right?

TRG
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Now you have a cool keychain
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

'Preciate the business.  

TRG

Lets not get carried away there Mr. Goat!
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s48.photobucket.com/user/11724/media/A-Z/DSCN9489_zps8cb4dc06.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/11724/A-Z/DSCN9489_zps8cb4dc06.jpg</a>
View Quote

Very cool!  I have to do that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'Preciate the business.  

TRG

I have a nice spot out back where you can camp...

TRG
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:In my lap yesterday.  I was trying to post here .. he had other plans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:In my lap yesterday.  I was trying to post here .. he had other plans.

Haha, our little girl is quite the squirmer; as a matter of fact, we've had several people comment that they've never seen a newborn move around as much as she does... very active means there is almost no way to hold her and post on arfcom at the same time unless she is sound asleep.

Quoted:This was moments after his bath, whereupon he peed from the sink in to the toaster.  Face says, "Bathe me again, and I take out the coffee pot..."

Haha, glad I don't have that problem just yet. We're hoping for a boy on the next go around; we'll just have to see if I get to enjoy the wonders of long-range, directional urination in the future.

Quoted:

Yup, pretty sweet idea... why didn't I think of that?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:14:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s48.photobucket.com/user/11724/media/A-Z/DSCN9489_zps8cb4dc06.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/11724/A-Z/DSCN9489_zps8cb4dc06.jpg</a>
View Quote

Yep. That right there is yer problem.

Check the drives on your chains.
Those "Dents" and "Smears" on the driving edge can be filed out. Just use a Mill bastard file and lay the chain flat.
If ya don't, they will booger up the new rim.

I still think you should send that to the Krauts with the story.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Send it to bryan Equipment in Loveland Ohio.  They are the largest Stihl distributor in the USA if not the world.  I was just up their for some training and they have an amazing collection of Stihl, new and old.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Send it to bryan Equipment in Loveland Ohio.  They are the largest Stihl distributor in the USA if not the world.  I was just up their for some training and they have an amazing collection of Stihl, new and old.
View Quote

The new part solved the problem.  Saw cuts properly and the chain is not getting loose now.

Cuts like it's new again.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The new part solved the problem.  Saw cuts properly and the chain is not getting loose now.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Glad to hear!  Thanks for getting the parts from me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top