Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 11:45:09 AM EDT
Looking at a parcel of property that has well water down about 200 ft.  Not sure of specifics yet.  Was told that the water is "high in iron" but that neighbors have no issues as they are using "iron eater" systems/filters.

Wondering if anyone knows much about them?  Specifically, wondering about initial costs, ongoing/recurrent costs, other issues??

Thanks, ARFCOM.

rich
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the NVHTF, I've seen several threads there about that problem. It's common in the northern part of the state.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a $20 water test done by a lab, figure out actual iron level and type, and talk to water treatment places to see what they recommend.
Relatively low ppm iron (still enough to leave nasty stains in the tub in 2 weeks) can be treated with a water softener and salt with citric acid.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#3]
There are several different ways to treat iron. I would start with taking a glass jar with a lid. Take a sample of your water and put a few drops of Clorox/chlorine in the water. This should oxidize the iron in the water. The rust particles will settle on the bottom. If this happens the I would recommend either a well top or pressure tank location chlorinator and a carbon filter to filter out the particles and the chlorine.

Brian
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top