Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2014 2:30:48 AM EDT
I've lived in my house for 10 years, got married in May... and when my wife planted veggies in our back yard, and they started growing, it gave me the most amazing feeling of... belonging to the home, like I'd just moved in.

Anyone else experience this?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I think we all - or some of us, anyway - still have at least remnants of a self-sufficiency instinct left. It's why we garden, though we can technically buy the same veggies in the store cheaper, and why we haul buckets of water to chickens in the dead of winter when you can buy eggs for a dollar a dozen and chicken for two bucks a pound.  For sure, some of it is about quality... homegrown produce, meat and eggs do taste better, and I think they're better for you.  Yeah, some of that is probably an "it's better because I grew it" trick our brains are playing on us, but that happens for a reason: it's our instinct trying to tell us we're doing the right thing.

Just a wild guess:  I bet you're expanding the garden a little bit this year, ain't ya?  
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think we all - or some of us, anyway - still have at least remnants of a self-sufficiency instinct left. It's why we garden, though we can technically buy the same veggies in the store cheaper, and why we haul buckets of water to chickens in the dead of winter when you can buy eggs for a dollar a dozen and chicken for two bucks a pound.  For sure, some of it is about quality... homegrown produce, meat and eggs do taste better, and I think they're better for you.  Yeah, some of that is probably an "it's better because I grew it" trick our brains are playing on us, but that happens for a reason: it's our instinct trying to tell us we're doing the right thing.

Just a wild guess:  I bet you're expanding the garden a little bit this year, ain't ya?  
View Quote

LOL Wife unit is getting a cold box for Christmas! She's nagging   trying to convince me to get into beekeeping, too!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

LOL Wife unit is getting a cold box for Christmas! She's nagging   trying to convince me to get into beekeeping, too!
View Quote

Kudos to wife

If you think beekeeping might be imminent, the time to start shopping is now.  The supply of package bees dries up very early in spring; you really need to pre-order in fall or winter if you hope to find any commercially.  If you have a local source you might be in better shape, but it still wouldn't hurt to touch base and get your name on their waiting list.

You've probably already seen it, but Kitties-with-Sigs Beekeeping thread is a good jumping-off point.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Kudos to wife

If you think beekeeping might be imminent, the time to start shopping is now.  The supply of package bees dries up very early in spring; you really need to pre-order in fall or winter if you hope to find any commercially.  If you have a local source you might be in better shape, but it still wouldn't hurt to touch base and get your name on their waiting list.

You've probably already seen it, but Kitties-with-Sigs Beekeeping thread is a good jumping-off point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kudos to wife

I've seen it. I am also studying a Youtube series about the first year of beekeeping.

I may not be able to keep bees where I am (HOA).
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Improving the land and growing plants makes it "yours". The phrase "putting down your roots" didn't come from nowhere.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
All of the above. See sig line.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top