Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2014 1:10:09 AM EDT
So we've had some unusually cold temps so far this year, and a couple of things have pinged my radar.

As some of you know, I've been building a prepper/homestead on my 20 acres for some time.

Well, we used the fireplace and a natural gas heater last winter, but it was pretty mild temperature-wise.

When we first moved in, I purchased a wood stove and I intended to install it outside.

That being said, our electronic igniting gas stovetop took a shit this week.

I'm wondering what you guys think regarding next steps.

I could:

1) Bring the antique wood stove inside and install it permanently. This would heat the house and provide cooking surface.

2) Install a fireplace insert with a cooking surface (does such a thing exist?).

3) Buy a new, modern wood stove for both heating and cooking.

Obviously, the two main goals are heat and cooking. I'd like a less expensive option, but frankly I'd rather spend the money and do it right.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I would look for an Amish or Mennonite oriented wood stove store.
I personally have zero experience with a dedicated wood kitchen stove , but in our old house we have a large free standing wood stove that had a large mostly flattop ( had 2 levels ) this allowed plenty of cooking area. This was not an expensive stove it didn't even have glass door it was all cast iron.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a kitchen cook stove much like that one in the pic.Its awesome for cooking on and heats up a decent area but I wouldn't rely on it to heat my whole house.A second stove somewhere else in your house would be needed which is how I have things set up.In fact I have a Fischer mama bear that heats the house by itself.The cook stove will need frequent feedings compared to a regular wood stove.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Small older wood stoves with cook tops that are complete With no missig parts are in HIGH demand. They bring a premium trading on arboristsite and hearth. You have a little gold nugget there. Install it in the house and be happy. I don't even know of any that are even made anymore.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:28:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Those old cook stoves throw some heat!!!
That one is in outstanding condition, and I know some Amish folks that would pester you constantly to buy it. It looks MINT! NICE!!

They have several disadvantages for heating a house though.

The firebox is small. You have to run small splits "Stove Bolts", and they don't burn long, and certainly not overnight.
You're in Bama, so if the house is heavily insulated it wont be too much of an issue, but still a PITA on cold snaps that last several weeks.
The other thing is the ash pans are usually rather small, and need frequent clean outs.

A dedicated Wood stove, especially one of the newer non-Cat, stoves would work a LOT better as a dedicated heating unit.
Longer burn times, much better efficiency, larger firebox, fewer clean outs, secondary burn for less smoke on inversion days.

The same holds for fireplace inserts, but you're going to be dependent on electricity or a back up with them...and they wont work well for cooking at all with the smaller firebox.

If the option exists in your Cabin/House, look at the zero clearance fire places. Some can be set up for cooking with the doors open, like a conventional fireplace. Steaks cooked over wood coals in the fireplace, when it's -10 and the wind howling, taste Sooooo much better than off the grill.

If you don't instal that cook stove...you could likely sell it for enough to fund a good top tier Lopi.
I would like to just have one to cook on now and then, and as a back up for power outages. That old thing is kinda gorgeous really.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Those old cook stoves throw some heat!!!

That one is in outstanding condition, and I know some Amish folks that would pester you constantly to buy it. It looks MINT! NICE!!

They have several disadvantages for heating a house though.

The firebox is small. You have to run small splits "Stove Bolts", and they don't burn long, and certainly not overnight.

You're in Bama, so if the house is heavily insulated it wont be too much of an issue, but still a PITA on cold snaps that last several weeks.

The other thing is the ash pans are usually rather small, and need frequent clean outs.

A dedicated Wood stove, especially one of the newer non-Cat, stoves would work a LOT better as a dedicated heating unit.

Longer burn times, much better efficiency, larger firebox, fewer clean outs, secondary burn for less smoke on inversion days.

The same holds for fireplace inserts, but you're going to be dependent on electricity or a back up with them...and they wont work well for cooking at all with the smaller firebox.

If the option exists in your Cabin/House, look at the zero clearance fire places. Some can be set up for cooking with the doors open, like a conventional fireplace. Steaks cooked over wood coals in the fireplace, when it's -10 and the wind howling, taste Sooooo much better than off the grill.

If you don't instal that cook stove...you could likely sell it for enough to fund a good top tier Lopi.

I would like to just have one to cook on now and then, and as a back up for power outages. That old thing is kinda gorgeous really.
View Quote
Awesome info for sure!

I looked up Lopi, and they are awesome looking. Especially this one!

Now you've got me considering selling this to fund it.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I just had This installed this year.
It puts off a ton of heat and is a very low maintenance stove with only one gasket.
It is also a convective stove which means it puts out a softer heat and I am able to sit in the same room without being too hot. This will be our primary heat source and so far has done a great job.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It puts off a ton of heat and is a very low maintenance stove with only one gasket.

It is also a convective stove which means it puts out a softer heat and I am able to sit in the same room without being too hot. This will be our primary heat source and so far has done a great job.

View Quote

That sounds great, considering we are in the south, and it doesn't get too cold here.

How much did the whole install cost, if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That sounds great, considering we are in the south, and it doesn't get too cold here.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was about $4500 with everything. The stove itself was $2099.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch.

That's about $1500 more than I was looking to spend, but I can manage it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ouch.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch.  

Could you install it yourself? You could probably save about $1000 if you did the install.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#13]
This would actually be my best bet.

It's an insert, and a stove top.

I also found a local dealer/installer. Hopefully using my existing chimney and fireplace will reduce the cost a little.

Here is what it would look like installed:

Here is my current fire place.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a used electric stove off CL for under 100 bucks.  Lots available for little money.

Install the fireplace insert when money is not an issue.  Looks like a cool idea, but, you don't 'need' a cooktop to cook in front of a fireplace.  People have cooked on a hearth for thousands of years.  I have hung roasts on strings from my mantle, spin them by hand, grills fine.

Hang the meat from a string.  Twist the string to make it rotate.  Place a cast iron pan under it with vegetables to catch grease and roast in the pan while the meat hangs overhead.  It is less convenient than an oven, but, it does work.

As for that wood stove in your kitchen ... You are going to have a very hard time making that stove NOT set off any nearby smoke detectors.  Even the best wood stoves are going to seep a little smoke now and then.

Kitchen is a major cause of house fires.  Removing smoke detectors (to prevent them being tripped by a wood stove) is not your best option.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#15]
With your existing set-up an insert would be better. If you were to do a freestanding stove, you would have to either extend your hearth or remove it all together and make a new one. You could also use a hearth pad or stove board. One thing to consider is that an insert is going to rely on a blower to move the warm air away from the stove.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
With your existing set-up an insert would be better. If you were to do a freestanding stove, you would have to either extend your hearth or remove it all together and make a new one. You could also use a hearth pad or stove board. One thing to consider is that an insert is going to rely on a blower to move the warm air away from the stove.
View Quote

Low ceiling too for a woodstove.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Get a used electric stove off CL for under 100 bucks.  Lots available for little money.

Install the fireplace insert when money is not an issue.  Looks like a cool idea, but, you don't 'need' a cooktop to cook in front of a fireplace.  People have cooked on a hearth for thousands of years.  I have hung roasts on strings from my mantle, spin them by hand, grills fine.

Hang the meat from a string.  Twist the string to make it rotate.  Place a cast iron pan under it with vegetables to catch grease and roast in the pan while the meat hangs overhead.  It is less convenient than an oven, but, it does work.

As for that wood stove in your kitchen ... You are going to have a very hard time making that stove NOT set off any nearby smoke detectors.  Even the best wood stoves are going to seep a little smoke now and then.

Kitchen is a major cause of house fires.  Removing smoke detectors (to prevent them being tripped by a wood stove) is not your best option.

TRG
View Quote

I think installing the wood stove is not an option at this point for sure.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Replacing your smoke detector with a rate of rise detector will alleviate the issue of false alarms while still providing warning in the event of a fire.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Replacing your smoke detector with a rate of rise detector will alleviate the issue of false alarms while still providing warning in the event of a fire.

View Quote

The main issue is going to be cost/efficiency.

Small wood box, ash box, etc, not efficient at producing heat, are more what I'm thinking.

The smoke doesn't sound pleasant either.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Small wood box, ash box, etc, not efficient at producing heat, are more what I'm thinking.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured as much but wanted to toss that out there for anyone else who was thinking of taking a chance on removing a detector, or in case anyone reads this who has a wife that constantly sets off detectors. If one more fireman somewhere gets to eat a hot dinner because someone didn't set off a kitchen detector while cooking, I've done my job

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

TRG
View Quote

You think I should buy some stove pipe and install the wood stove on the back porch?

Either that or I have a few dutch ovens that could be used in the fireplace itself.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted: If one more fireman somewhere gets to eat a hot dinner because someone didn't set off a kitchen detector while cooking, I've done my job

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's my set up - heats the whole house

I put two layers of sheet rock on the floor, then a sheet of concrete board. Tiled over that. Put a 2" spacer then concrete board on the wall and tiled that. Stove is a Jotl. Single wall pipe inside, double wall all the rest of the way. Used metal flanges and made sure all clearances were within code through the ceiling and roof. Did it all myself. Wasn't too hard. Clean chimney three times a year, replace stove gaskets yearly. The cook stove isn't a heater. Wasn't made to be one. No way to get a firebox large enough and you can't seal it restrict air. Cool stove though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#24]
And here's mine.  Englander 30-NCH wood stove.  It's 32 outside and my home is nice and warm!

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
And here's mine.  Englander 30-NCH wood stove.  It's 32 outside and my home is nice and warm!

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p111/Albinator/Wood%20stove%20pics/IMG_20141123_170840804Large_zps0373a242.jpg
View Quote

That's a hell of a fireplace, nice!

I like your built in as well. Did you do any of it?

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So we've had some unusually cold temps so far this year, and a couple of things have pinged my radar.

As some of you know, I've been building a prepper/homestead on my 20 acres for some time.

Well, we used the fireplace and a natural gas heater last winter, but it was pretty mild temperature-wise.

When we first moved in, I purchased a wood stove and I intended to install it outside.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-CUruzFO9oMQ/ThO75SV9WzI/AAAAAAAAPac/7GoZyOmTcvk/s912/IMG-20110705-00018.jpg

I could:

1) Bring the antique wood stove inside and install it permanently. This would heat the house and provide cooking surface.
2) Install a fireplace insert with a cooking surface (does such a thing exist?).

Obviously, the two main goals are heat and cooking. I'd like a less expensive option, but frankly I'd rather spend the money and do it right.
View Quote

In Alabama?  Unless your 20-acres is somewhere north, maybe you should worry about something else.  Last I was in Alabama in February, it was 72F and humid.  The locals were wearing hooded parkas, I had on shorts, and a loose button shirt.  Hilarious.
Sell the stove and buy something to cool or feed yourself.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
In Alabama?  Unless your 20-acres is somewhere north, maybe you should worry about something else.  Last I was in Alabama in February, it was 72F and humid.  The locals were wearing hooded parkas, I had on shorts, and a loose button shirt.  Hilarious.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-CUruzFO9oMQ/ThO75SV9WzI/AAAAAAAAPac/7GoZyOmTcvk/s912/IMG-20110705-00018.jpg

I could:

It's not far north, but we get temps in the teens during the winter.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p111/Albinator/Wood%20stove%20pics/IMG_20141123_170840804Large_zps0373a242.jpg
View Quote

I have that same stove, installed it Myself, will run us out of the house. AWESOME deal through HD, free shipping, got all the pipe through Lowes.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just saw your post over on Hearth.com. Looks
Very nice. Great job on the install.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subcontracted out the carpentry, stone work and stove install with pipe.  I did the design, subcontract requests, reviews and selection, installed the electrical outlets and switch, installed the two computer fans and, of course, wrote all the checks.  I had one simple requirement:  Safety.  It was made clear to each vendor that safety would not be compromised in any way, shape or fashion.  This especially hit home with the stove install guys since they're used to fighting the opposite with some of their clients.

We had a fire yesterday, the house is still warm today.  The stove weighs about 400 lbs, I figure between it and the stone work and the Durock underneath it, we're heating up about 2500 lbs of mass when I start a fire.  Lasts a long time.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Subcontracted out the carpentry, stone work and stove install with pipe.  I did the design, subcontract requests, reviews and selection, installed the electrical outlets and switch, installed the two computer fans and, of course, wrote all the checks.  I had one simple requirement:  Safety.  It was made clear to each vendor that safety would not be compromised in any way, shape or fashion.  This especially hit home with the stove install guys since they're used to fighting the opposite with some of their clients.

We had a fire yesterday, the house is still warm today.  The stove weighs about 400 lbs, I figure between it and the stone work and the Durock underneath it, we're heating up about 2500 lbs of mass when I start a fire.  Lasts a long time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice! Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice looking stove and fireplace Merlin. That's the first combination with a stove that I've really truly liked. GF approves too.  What type.of wood is the flooring?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:01:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nice looking stove and fireplace Merlin. That's the first combination with a stove that I've really truly liked. GF approves too.  What type.of wood is the flooring?
View Quote

It's a Brazilian wood, but the specific name escapes me right now.  I've got some left that stored out in my shop, I'll take a look at one of the boxes next time I'm out there.

The wood in the great/living room was already there.  We added the same type wood flooring to the sun room and my office, that's how come we know what kind it is.  We got it from the Flooring Store in Florence, AL.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's a Brazilian wood, but the specific name escapes me right now.  I've got some left that stored out in my shop, I'll take a look at one of the boxes next time I'm out there.

The wood in the great/living room was already there.  We added the same type wood flooring to the sun room and my office, that's how come we know what kind it is.  We got it from the Flooring Store in Florence, AL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it looks like brazilian teak, known in the trade as cumaru.

ar-jedi

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top