Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 5:49:30 PM EDT
The varieties are Celeste and Brown Turkey.  Who has figs that produce and how far North are you?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Had both varieties in the eastern panhandle of WV (think northern central VA).

Until really well established, hard freeze winters tend to kill most all above ground growth, requiring regrowth from the root.  If memory serves, the brown turkey tended to handle it better than the celestial.  They would have had a better shot at getting big if we had shrouded them for the winter (buried them in leaves or straw in some kind of wire fence enclosure).  They never totally died, but often had to start again from the root even after 5+ years. The fruit was prolific & great though!   Bearing would be delayed til later in the season during the years when the majority of canes had died & it was mostly starting over from the root.

Nick
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I am in SC and still find that figs need shelter from house/structure.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I am in SC and have a Celeste.  It is more fungus-resistant than the type I had earlier (not sure which that was).  I keep mine against the south-facing wall and so far it has weathered 16f okay.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#4]
If you need cold-hardy, have you considered a Hardy Chicago? - Never mind, just saw the "already purchased"
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#5]
got i think the same brands from a big box store on sunday for $10. They are little but it says 10 to 0 degrees. not to worry much in tx
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I got them from HD for $7 ea.  I can put them on the south side of the house beside a large rock wall that blocks the cold NW winds and seems to create a warmer area in my yard.  They say good to 0 which some years we never see but last year we hit -3 and my 8 yr old rosemary died.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top