Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 1:01:45 PM EDT
My wife has the crazy idea that we need to start raising meat rabbits……in order to save some money and have a more sustainable food supply. We picked up one a few weeks ago at the local farm swap-meet that I butchered and we ate for dinner.  I’ve never had rabbit before, and it was actually pretty good….it kind of tasted like a chicken breast/pork chop type meat.   But…I don’t know if it was good enough that it’s work all of the trouble of raising them and butchering them…especially when you can  get to the store and get a whole chicken ready to through on the grill for under $5.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a buddy doing it now. They got started a few months ago and just bred the rabbits for the first time last week.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to, it wasnt too much work actually.  I started with two and had up to about 30 or more.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm planning to start rasing them next spring.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My wife has the crazy idea that we need to start raising meat rabbits……in order to save some money and have a more sustainable food supply. We picked up one a few weeks ago at the local farm swap-meet that I butchered and we ate for dinner.  I’ve never had rabbit before, and it was actually pretty good….it kind of tasted like a chicken breast/pork chop type meat.   But…I don’t know if it was good enough that it’s work all of the trouble of raising them and butchering them…especially when you can  get to the store and get a whole chicken ready to through on the grill for under $5.
View Quote

It's for when you CAN'T get to the store, or the store is closed, or they have no chicken for you to buy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#5]
HAve posted a few times about it over the years.
Been at it a long time.
Getting popular it seems, rabbits are the new "chicken" craze.
We've been selling a lot of breeding trios last few years..
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's for when you CAN'T get to the store, or the store is closed, or they have no chicken for you to buy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can feed a family for $5.00, but it doesn't mean it's healthy. Rabbit meat is one of the healthiest meats known to man. Anyone who brings up the idea of fat starvation is ignorant or uninformed. I personally like knowing where my food came.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
IIRC during WW2 British citizens were encouraged to raise rabbits as source of food

From what I understand worth it I just don't want rabbits cages in my house
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been doing it for about a year now.

It's super easy and delicious.

We eat one a week. I have three does.

I have cages to increase my does by 2-4 if I needed to raise my own food. That would give me 3-4 rabbits a week to eat. In my case I have chickens for eggs and ducks for meat also. I basically have the ability to be meat self sufficemt with a surbarban yard. I'd have to forage for food for them in a survival situation.

They are the ultimate farmstead animal, slaughter and butcher as needed. No refrigeration or curing of hundreds of pounds of meat needed.

They eat what we don't. Another plus. Take up no space. Don't make noise. Can be raised indoors for security of needed.

Anyone that has any room and is interested in either healthy food or survival should have rabbits first and foremost IMO.

I have about two months of feed on hand. I could harvest most of what they need locally in my neighborhood  in an emergency. I want to get 6 months of feed eventually.

I have a coupe different cages. I think the four high stacking 18x24 is the most efficient . Get two of them off craigslsit. Three does and a buck with cages to move the litters into to finish them. It's not hard but you can still lose litters and such so the time to learn how is not after you need food. Give yourself six months of learning. From the time you start until you have your first rabbi to eat will be four months.  I have one doe giving birth about every month. Like I said if I needed to survive on them I'd add at least two does.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#9]
We do. We sell the meat at the farmers market for crazy $$. After all, it's pasture raised.
Raising them on the grass ( in a modified chicken tractor) saves money feeding them. We raise our chickens on the grass also.
I can take it or leave it.
I'd much rather sell it than eat it, but when the Chinese zombies attack, we can cut everyone off and feed ourselves quite well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I know this sounds like a stupid question but where do you guys buy your rabbits? Im assuming the pet store and that must be a weird conversation with the salesman.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know this sounds like a stupid question but where do you guys buy your rabbits? Im assuming the pet store and that must be a weird conversation with the salesman.
View Quote

The brown one looks delicious. I'll take it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Some folks raise earth worms in the rabbit manure in catch trays under the cages.

They sell the rabbits/meat
Sell the worms as bait
Sell the worm castings as an organic fertilizer
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Check ARBA for local shows, county fairs, feed store bulletin boards, Craigslist, etc

Better to start with GOOD breeding stock, even if you pay more upfront.
If you buy a breeding trio, ask the seller for a quick breed to unrelated males before you leave.

I'd suggest Californias or NewZealands
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Some folks raise earth worms in the rabbit manure in catch trays under the cages.

Sell the worms as bait
View Quote

Worms show up on their own, LOTS of worms.
We toss a few forkfuls out to the chickens every other day, more FREE food.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:12:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Check ARBA for local shows, county fairs, feed store bulletin boards, Craigslist, etc

If you buy a breeding trio, ask the seller for a quick breed to unrelated males before you leave

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you buy a breeding trio, ask the seller for a quick breed to unrelated males before you leave

Just curious what classifies a "good" breeding stock. Seems subjective. If could elaborate that would be awesome

As to the other info, thanks puts me in the right direction
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sell the worms as bait
View Quote

I'm starting that but for my chickens and ducks to root through  and eat.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah I'd find some GOOD breeding stock   Find someone that raises new Zealand's and talk to them. Get rabbits from stock that grows fast and efficient and that the mothers do,a good job.. Mine were also breed for temper also   Guy had been breeding them for years  

After getting random mutts I'd say getting good rabbits is well worth the money.

It's all about good mothering and feed to weight ratio.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just curious what classifies a "good" breeding stock. Seems subjective. If could elaborate that would be awesome

View Quote

Not subjective at all.
Good confirmation first and foremost,
Being  good mothers, large litters, etc, and temperament as another poster pointed out, but can't tell.
Ask around, some folks are trustworthy and have a good reputation, others are not.
If you have kids, get them involved in 4H: We, and most folks, give substantial discounts to 4H'ers, and will take the time to help them.
Most judges will be flattered if you ask for advice.

Go to a ARBA show, watch and listen to the judge as he/she judges NZs or Calis.

Can pu very nice rabbits at county fairs, sometimes for CHEAP: depends on the county: here, $10-15 will buy you a NICE rabbit.
At others $50-60 will get you a decent one.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not subjective at all.
Being  good mothers, large litters, etc, and temperament as another poster pointed out, but can't tell.
Ask around, some folks are trustworthy and have a good reputation, others are not.
If you have kids, get them involved in 4H: We, and most folks, give substantial discounts to 4H'ers, and will take the time to help them.

Can pu very nice rabbits at county fairs, sometimes for CHEAP: depends on the county: here, $10-15 will buy you a NICE rabbit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not subjective at all.

Interesting don't know of the 4H involvement in my AO but my daughter might be interested in doing this
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Interesting don't know of the 4H involvement in my AO but my daughter might be interested in doing this
View Quote

Try:

http://aces.nmsu.edu/4h/

Then find local/county extension office. Each county usually has quite a few 4H clubs, with diverse interests.
Here some clubs are traditional livestock, some horses, some shooting sports, some fishing, some computers/robotics, and some clubs a good mix of all.
PLENTY of overlap as well, and opportunities to do what interests YOUR kids.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm hoping to find one of those Cadbury bunnies that lays those yummy chocolate eggs.  Anyone find on yet?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Been at it a long time.
View Quote

Dave I raise them as well, do you mind if I ask what breed you raise?
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Look for a book about raising rabbits.  They will explain the different breeds, husbandry, and any other concerns.

We keep German Angoras.  They have to be sheared every 90 days, they need big cages, and right now they are in the house so we have to change the litter pans often to keep it from smelling.  They are a LARGE fiber rabbit, and might make a good emergency meal.....but there are larger rabbits that have more meat and are meant for food stock.

The rabbits at the pet store are not good options, in my opinion.  They are not bred for meat and their fiber is useless.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 6:09:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been at it a long time.

Had Cals and NZs for 20 years: kids have moved into Silver Fox and Silver Martens, but still keep a few NZs and Calis, plus eat all their culls, so not going hungry.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#25]
How did you guys keep the SO and kids from treating them like pets. I talked to the gf about it and she was starting to get a little misty eyed...
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How did you guys keep the SO and kids from treating them like pets. I talked to the gf about it and she was starting to get a little misty eyed...
View Quote

We had rabbits long before we had kids.
When my daughter was 3 or 4, someone asked her what kind of rabbits she had.
"Eatin' rabbits" was her reply.

They each had a "pet" rabbit used for showmanship, breeders for their selected breed, and then meat rabbits, plus the culls fromwhatever breed they are working with.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, I do.

New Zealand Whites and Californians. I usually keep around a 1:3 buck to doe ratio.

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't name them for one, except for a buck rabbit that I bought from someone else and he was named before I got him.

The next being a lot of your commercial meat rabbits are very strong, not very social (I've had some NZW's that were border line neurotic and very aggressive) and do not like to be held, so that helps to keep them from being thought of like pets. Except when they're babies, then everyone likes to look at the baby bunnies.

As for finding breeder stock, I've bought a few off Craigslist and just about every farm supply and feed store that I've been to has a bulletin board for local advertisements.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone have good plans for a rabbit keep?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife refuses to eat a "bunny".

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#31]
A guy at work just took his bull to be butchered. I asked him if he ever tried rabbits and he said that he did for a couple years but he got tired of it. He said it was too much work killing and cleaning rabbits every weekend.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A guy at work just took his bull to be butchered. I asked him if he ever tried rabbits and he said that he did for a couple years but he got tired of it. He said it was too much work killing and cleaning rabbits every weekend.
View Quote

Seems like poor planning to me. He should have grouped litters and species send several over a day or two then have them stored for future use.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Do you guys use the "push-gut" method for quickly gutting a rabbit?

Video here.  Quick video, maybe 20-25 seconds.  It should start right at the important part.  Might be considered *graphic* considering the guy is squeezing the rabbit guts out the animal's rear-end.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Do you guys use the "push-gut" method for quickly gutting a rabbit?

Video here.  Quick video, maybe 20-25 seconds.  It should start right at the important part.  Might be considered *graphic* considering the guy is squeezing the rabbit guts out the animal's rear-end.
View Quote
That's not going to be as easy on a meat rabbit.  Cali or NZ your hands won't be big enough.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:53:13 PM EDT
[#35]
The are a pain in the summer if you are in an area that gets hot. They do NOT get thru the summer well in the South.

Lots of inputs..

I would have eaten more back when I did it but the resale market was just too rich. I would throw them on craigslist and get $30 a rabbit all day.. Too expensive to eat..
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:55:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

And this is true too....

You slaughter 6 and it takes an hour or more and you don't have a massive amount to show for it or the months you fed and watered them up to that day....
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#37]
For those looking to learn, buy or trade rabbits, hutches and equipment and knowledge, and happen to be on Facebook, there are a number of closed group meat rabbit pages that are both local and regional.

You can get advice, pick up equipment or plans for equipment, and find local deals.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#38]
I slaughter and clean about eight rabbits in way less than an hour. I've been timing it so I do ducks or chickens the same day. Birds take far longer.

Mine weigh about 3-3.5 pounds dressed.

I spend five minutes a day on water and food. Half the food is the lawn or waste we get from a grocery store. I have one litter maturing every thirty days.

I think it tastes far better than chicken and I don't think I'll be raising meat chickens again as rabbits are so easy.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#39]
If you use wire cages, make sure you put a piece of plywood in the Buck's cage or the bastard will bloody one of his feet when he gets horny (remember Thumper from the Disney movie Bambi? Um, yeah, that's what male rabbits do when they want a piece of ass).

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Mine are made of marshmellow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top