Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 6:33:27 PM EDT
Hi!

Started out thinking I might get the answer in the gun finishing section, but it dawns on me that this might be a better place to ask.

I need to basically boil something in a solution of lye. A lot of lye, I think.

I got a pressure cooker I wanted to use, so that I could also do it under pressure, but lye and aluminum hate each other.

What else can I use to do this, or is there something to coat my cooker with to make it ok to use?

Thanks!

Shawn
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Do not try this in aluminum and for goodness sake not under pressure.

Stainless, Pyrex glass, or intact enameled cookware.

Outside.

Go slow, have a gallon of vinegar handy to help neutralize any small spills or burns.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#2]
If you do it in a 55 gallon barrel you can bury everything at once.

ETA: Seriously though, make sure you do it outside, the fumes will kill you or make you wish you were dead, and if you don't mind me asking, what are you boiling?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do not try this in aluminum and for goodness sake not under pressure.

Stainless, Pyrex glass, or intact enameled cookware.

Outside.

Go slow, have a gallon of vinegar handy to help neutralize any small spills or burns.
View Quote

+1

My vote is for stainless steel first as there is no chance of breaking it.  Wear safety goggles!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:41:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm trying to break down fibers for homemade paper.

The procedures I am following parallel some commercial processes.

So, I want to inject steam into a rotating chamber partially full of fibers and a 5-10% lye solution that is being heated.

I have done a TON of research. I can't find a single viable way to coat my pressure cooker (Al), or this great pot I bought for non-pressurized cooking (also Al).

So...

I guess this is back burnered for awhile. Last thing I was researching was finding a piece of eight inch cast iron pipe and welding the ends closed, and putting a hatch in the center.

It's pissing me off, because I don't like hearing there is no good/inexpensive answer, and I'm pretty good with organic chemistry applied to energetic research. I never woulda thought this would be what would wind up stumping me.

Thanks for the responses!

Shawn
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:42:45 AM EDT
[#5]
If you do it in a 55 gallon barrel you can bury everything at once.
View Quote

LOL!

If you boil it, you don't hafta bury it... it'll eventually just pour out!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top