Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2014 7:05:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
That is good to know, I just bought 4 cases, I will mark them with all my old jars
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#2]
That's good to know.  I have been doing this for some time now and telling myself it was a bad habit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]
This is my second year of using Tattler lids and gaskets, their instructions were to scald the lids and gaskets, I always took that to mean less than a full boil.
The link says it's due to being BPA free, the Tattler's are also, maybe that's why Tattler's instructions were to scald instead of boil.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
No more lid lifter
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:45:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Good info, thanks!  One less pot of water on the stove during canning is a welcome change.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I can never find mine anyway so I end up with scalded fingers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No more lid lifter

Spaghetti tongs, salad tongs, two forks ...

[finger in applesauce] My finger is clean because it's steaming!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Due to costs increasing they seem to use less rubber for the seal.

Needs less heat to fully heat the sucker.

Just my guess from reading about people with older canning lids they reuse vs. new ones they think are cheap.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is my second year of using Tattler lids and gaskets, their instructions were to scald the lids and gaskets, I always took that to mean less than a full boil.

The link says it's due to being BPA free, the Tattler's are also, maybe that's why Tattler's instructions were to scald instead of boil.  
View Quote

How do you like them?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#11]
From what I read on the link it's because they changed the seal material from rubber to a "plastisol".  The plastisol thins too much when you OVER heat them.  A gently warming simmer doesn't hurt them either but they state it's not necessary.    I would probably still do it if I was processing for less than 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.   It would be nice to skip one pot of hot water in August.  

The new seal is now BPA free.  I can't think such a small amount of material compared to the glass jar and was not in contact with the food (while sitting on the shelf).  To quote Hitlery, What difference does it make?

ETA - my lid grabber is a Sears Craftsman magnet on collapsible antenna like stick.  Works great and i already had it.
ETA2- my current lids are in the new boxes light green edges with made in usa and bpa free on them.  They should be the new ones but the instructions still say to simmer the lids.  The story on the link did say they were mixing the older boxes with newer lids but this has all the new stuff except the instructions.  [shrugs]  Purchased this year at Walmart.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Dang, 90% of my canning is already done for the year. Still good to know though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Dang, 90% of my canning is already done for the year. Still good to know though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No more lid lifter

G5 android is waterproof.  Speaker magnet works under water.

There's an app for that.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
From what I read on the link it's because they changed the seal material from rubber to a "plastisol".  The plastisol thins too much when you OVER heat them.  A gently warming simmer doesn't hurt them either but they state it's not necessary.  
View Quote

That makes NO sense.

Boiling = 212
Canning (pressure) = 240

Logically it does not computer that simmer:good::boiling:bad if canning:good::boiling:bad...

TRG
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That makes NO sense.

Boiling = 212

Canning (pressure) = 240

Logically it does not computer that simmer:good::boiling:bad if canning:good::boiling:bad...

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I read on the link it's because they changed the seal material from rubber to a "plastisol".  The plastisol thins too much when you OVER heat them.  A gently warming simmer doesn't hurt them either but they state it's not necessary.  

That makes NO sense.

Boiling = 212

Canning (pressure) = 240

TRG
From the link:

What About Pressure Canner Temps?

One question that kept coming up in the comments below and on canning discussion boards across the internet was this:

If over heating thins the plastisol gasket on the lid, what happens when it reaches over 240 degrees of a pressure canner?

I got the official answer from the experts at Jarden.

They said that yes, overheating in a pan of water will cause the
plastisol to "thin” which means it spreads out on the lid’s surface and
flattens out too much.

However, when that heat hits while in the pressure canner, that
plastisol is up against the glass jar rim and they have found that the
extreme heat just causes it to spread around the glass rim (as you would
hope it would) and gives a good seal.

The difference is that in the saucepan of water, the plastisol has no
place to go but out across the lid and gets thin. In the second case,
it is up against the glass rim and spreads around all sides of that rim
which ends up giving a good seal.

So, there you go.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
From the link:

One question that kept coming up in the comments below and on canning discussion boards across the internet was this:

If over heating thins the plastisol gasket on the lid, what happens when it reaches over 240 degrees of a pressure canner?

They said that yes, overheating in a pan of water will cause the plastisol to "thin” which means it spreads out on the lid’s surface and flattens out too much.

However, when that heat hits while in the pressure canner, that plastisol is up against the glass jar rim and they have found that the extreme heat just causes it to spread around the glass rim (as you would hope it would) and gives a good seal.

The difference is that in the saucepan of water, the plastisol has no place to go but out across the lid and gets thin. In the second case, it is up against the glass rim and spreads around all sides of that rim which ends up giving a good seal.

So, there you go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes NO sense.

Boiling = 212
Canning (pressure) = 240

TRG
From the link:

They said that yes, overheating in a pan of water will cause the plastisol to "thin” which means it spreads out on the lid’s surface and flattens out too much.

However, when that heat hits while in the pressure canner, that plastisol is up against the glass jar rim and they have found that the extreme heat just causes it to spread around the glass rim (as you would hope it would) and gives a good seal.

The difference is that in the saucepan of water, the plastisol has no place to go but out across the lid and gets thin. In the second case, it is up against the glass rim and spreads around all sides of that rim which ends up giving a good seal.

So, there you go.

I smell a rat.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#19]
nope, I am still going to heat my lids, my family has been doing that since these types of lids came out with no problems. (I still have glass canning jars with the replaceable rubber seals on glass lids )

I can see if you boiled the shit out of your lids having an issue, but we always just got them hot without killing them, no issues
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I smell a rat.

TRG

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That makes NO sense.

Boiling = 212

Canning (pressure) = 240

TRG
From the link:

So, there you go.

I smell a rat.

TRG

No, that's just my tomatoes boiling out of the jars since I didn't heat the lids.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No, that's just my tomatoes boiling out of the jars since I didn't heat the lids.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes NO sense.

Boiling = 212
Canning (pressure) = 240

TRG
From the link:

So, there you go.

I smell a rat.

TRG

I don't heat my lids.  

I hot pack.  Cold lids.

Pressure can.

Honestly, I have 100% seal.  No cracked jars.  No leakage.

Stored in an interior closet, no sunlight.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:40:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Put up 10 qts of tomato sauce last week w/o heating the lids after reading this thread and the links.  All sealed fine, and it was definitely less hassle.  One other advantage: we never know exactly how many jars we're gonna fill with any given batch of food, so it's always a guess on how many lids to pre-heat.  We sometimes come up one or two short or extra.  Without preheating, you just use what you need and don't have to wait while a couple more heat up, or toss those that were extra.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't heat my lids.  

I hot pack.  Cold lids.

Pressure can.

Honestly, I have 100% seal.  No cracked jars.  No leakage.

Stored in an interior closet, no sunlight.

TRG
View Quote

Same, Always hot pack. Never heat lids, always pressure can.

Never had a problem, ever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top