Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2014 2:14:39 PM EDT
To cut the stuff, and cook it if it is starting to flower out??

I have a row of it planted, and I've been so damn busy i haven't had a chance to cut any of it to cook, and noticed today it is starting to sprout up into flowers.....
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#1]
It should still be OK just taste a little strong.  When ours start that we will blanch the greens, change out the water and finish cooking them.  It helps tame the strong flavor and bitterness.  Glad you posted, it reminds me its about time to start prepping my beds for this winters crop.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, you still have them this time of year?  Here it's about 2 weeks away from planting the fall crop.

You might also try just picking the smaller, immature leaves.  They shouldn't be as bitter.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, you still have them this time of year?  Here it's about 2 weeks away from planting the fall crop.

You might also try just picking the smaller, immature leaves.  They shouldn't be as bitter.
View Quote

They were planted in the middle of june, as my late summer crop.  Things grow a bit different up here in wv.  Anytime after sept it can snow....
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They were planted in the middle of june, as my late summer crop.  Things grow a bit different up here in wv.  Anytime after sept it can snow....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The flowers are edible, stems, leaves too.

As posted, the later leaves get stronger, but, nothing that some bacon grease and garlic can't tame.

TRG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top