Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2014 8:13:49 AM EDT
I was tying up tomato plants last night and I saw an odd piece of pure white peeking out from under a leaf.  Turned the leaf over and its a big Tomato Hornworm - loaded with parasitic eggs from a Trichogramma Wasp.

For those that haven't encountered them before - here are some pics:

If you find these with the eggs on its back - do NOT pick them or kill them.  Just let the eggs hatch and devour the caterpillar, ensuring the next year's generation of Trichogramma Wasps working for you.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking plants!  I made the mistake of planting too close and got too much precipitation early this year and couldn't keep the blight in check.  Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool photos.

Hope those wasps destroy the crap out of the tomato worms.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
So that's what that is.  I've pulled 3 off my tomatoes in the last few days. Oh well, not much left of my mater plants with this fungus on em.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#4]
The worms dont die. They just keep eating. Horn worms love tobacco, and every year I when I hang tobacco, there will be a huge number of 5-6" long hornworks with the hitchikers going into the barn.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Dead Man Walking!  We got a Dead Man Walking here!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top