Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2014 8:58:39 AM EDT
Have read about and am thinking about renting a bobcat for a day to push down trees followed by a chainsaw to cut planks and firewood.  

Eventually rent an excavator to bury unearthed stumps and prep still undetermined foundation?

Also considering  just chainsaw followed by stump decomposition treatment.

Could I sell less than an acre of wood to be removed by someone else?

The slope is south east / plan on eventual south facing dwelling.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#1]
find a contractor with a front end loader that has a root rake
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I cleared an acre or so. Chain saw, pickup truck, and rented a bulldozer to remove the stumps. Leave the stumps about 5 feet high. It gives more leverage for the dozer to push them over ( I cut the trees in the winter so that was the only option.) That was in the north east, I don't have much snow here.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
find a contractor with a front end loader that has a root rake
View Quote

Thanks.  What should that run?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#4]
call fbho and tell him you will house some of his new dem voters that just got to texas.

me and a few friends cleared ~2acres of a buddys land in a few days with chainsaws and then he had someone come in with a dozer. where are you located op?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#5]
^^^ Pike County

What chainsaw for portable lumber mill?

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Husqvarna for the saw. Buy once cry once.

As stated above leave the stumps about 4 to 5 feet tall so you can push them over with a dozer.

Rental dozer around here is 375 a day plus fuel. You can get a lot done in a day if everything else is done. Trees cut, skidded and out of the way.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Get someone in there with a bandsaw mill to cut up your lumber.  Lot faster than a chainsaw mill and more efficient.  Those chainsaw mills are fun to play with but I tihnk the are a lot of work unless you are just making beams.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Whatever you decide, pay a machine operator to do it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#9]
ask them before you cut the trees down the taller the tree the easier it is to push over
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you think it is a better value to hire someone than to invest in a good chainsaw and put in some sweat equity over some time?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:25:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So you think it is a better value to hire someone than to invest in a good chainsaw and put in some sweat equity over some time?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

find better things to put the sweat into. there would be nothing wrong with having the machine stack the trees and you cutting them into lumber or firewood, but you will need a big dozer $$$ to push stumps out of the ground. if you leave them there it will make life harder as they rot they will draw termites and leave sink holes, not to mention the cursing you will be doing when you run pipes or build stuff

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#12]
im not in pike county. my house and my friends land are both in lackawanna. where we live if you dont want the wood people will glady pick it up for their outdoor wood burners and even pay ya for it. btw husky saws are the shit
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#13]
It would be really nice to get one of these guys:

Another video

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have little / no experience with felling, bucking/logging be aware.  This is one of the most dangerous operations  that you can do.  A chainsaw  ( personal favorite is Sthil) is a great way to get seriously injured, you will spend alot on medical bills if you get cut / hurt.   Talk to a logging company, you may find that you can actually make a bit of cash from your woodlot.   There is a steep learning curve in logging off woodlots, plus it takes more equipment than just a chainsaw.  Another idea is firewood.  I do not recommend pushing over trees, dangerous and you will break some equipment.  Fixing a bobcat , backhoe etc does not come cheap.  I will use a backhoe on trees less than 6", anything bigger gets felled.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:58:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Goats, buy some goats.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Take the hints. Just hire someone to do the site work. Plenty of other sweat equity projects later.
Now, if you have plenty of time .... You can fell all the trees drag them out then rent a  Loader with the proper accessories and get to work.
Most likely you will not save any money and it will take longer to get the work done.

Any value to the trees...maybe sell the trees, use money for clearing stumps. Maybe make a deal...they get trees you get cleared dirt..?
Good luck
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Cheapest, do it yourself with a chainsaw.
Most effective and fastest, find a contractor with a bulldozer and rootrake
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cheapest, do it yourself with a chainsaw.
Most effective and fastest, find a contractor with a bulldozer and rootrake
View Quote

famous last words......
if you cut yourself with a chainsaw, ( they make ditches in muscle not slices) it will be one of the most expensive projects you have ever done.  You are talking about a serious amount of work here, meaning you will get tired. That is precisely when you will be injured......I've done it.  If you can find someone who knows what they are doing and will tutor you fine, but this is not a do it your self job when it is this size.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks guys.. will hire someone.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you have little / no experience with felling, bucking/logging be aware.  This is one of the most dangerous operations  that you can do.  A chainsaw  ( personal favorite is Sthil) is a great way to get seriously injured, you will spend alot on medical bills if you get cut / hurt.   Talk to a logging company, you may find that you can actually make a bit of cash from your woodlot.   There is a steep learning curve in logging off woodlots, plus it takes more equipment than just a chainsaw.  Another idea is firewood.  I do not recommend pushing over trees, dangerous and you will break some equipment.  Fixing a bobcat , backhoe etc does not come cheap.  I will use a backhoe on trees less than 6", anything bigger gets felled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant heavy equipment.
Get it done by someone who knows what they are doing. Running the machines is fun, but if you don't know how you're wasting money.
I know a guy who will run whatever for $25/hr, if it's not one of his machines. He's been doing it for 30 years, and makes the work fly.
He shows up with some biscuits and vienna sausage and goes to town.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#21]
There must be a lot of stump grinders  competing around my area.  I had about thirty stumps ground a few years ago and it wasn't much over $200. It's just too much work for one person with rented equipment.

I'd get some estimates on it. It'll be expensive but maybe not as much as you would think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top