Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2014 11:36:37 AM EDT
Here is what I believe a tick, there are a lot of them, between the plywood and 2x4 of the coop, what is the best method to get rid of these, I haven't inspected my 3 chickens but im sure they are on them, how to I treat this

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Guineas.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#2]
my chickens will eat them, but the problem lies within the cracks of the coop, where they meet together the chickens can get to them
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Food-grade diatomaceous earth from the feed store.  It's completely safe to use on chickens.  Sprinkle it between the cracks and elsewhere inside the coop.  The tiny crystals of silica have a cutting effect on the joints of insects which is how it kills them.

ETA:  You can use them on the chickens themselves and I'd set up an area they can use as a dust bath if they already aren't doing so.  Dust baths help keep parasites off their feathers and skin.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Food-grade diatomaceous earth from the feed store.  It's completely safe to use on chickens.  Sprinkle it between the cracks and elsewhere inside the coop.  The tiny crystals of silica have a cutting effect on the joints of insects which is how it kills them.

ETA:  You can use them on the chickens themselves and I'd set up an area they can use as a dust bath if they already aren't doing so.  Dust baths help keep parasites off their feathers and skin.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This.  

Your other option is to use expanding foam to seal up the cracks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guineas.
View Quote
+1.  They're even tastier than the chickens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top