Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2014 8:27:29 PM EDT
Tell me about the varieties you like and the flavor please..
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't grown tomatoes for several years now, but I seem to remember that some heirloom Russian 'black' tomato varieties were pretty good.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:33:33 AM EDT
[#2]
My favorite full-size tomatoes are Brandywines, but any home-grown, fresh off the vine ripe tomato is pretty darn good.

For cherry tomatoes, there's a clear winner: Lizzanos. These are dwarf plants, good for containers, but they produce like crazy.  They taste great (some cherries taste a little funky to me).  They just seem to keep producing and producing and producing... we had one of these on the deck still cranking out tomatoes into late fall when everything else had long since crashed.  I'm so impressed by these that we now pot some up in early spring and give them out as gifts to people who like homegrown tomatoes but don't have time or space to maintain a regular garden.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:43:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't grown tomatoes for several years now, but I seem to remember that some heirloom Russian 'black' tomato varieties were pretty good.

View Quote

Black Krim.  Real homegrown taste, firm flesh, acidic but not too much, not overly sweet.  Every year I plant more of these and less red varieties.  I only do heirlooms these days.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:39:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Look for a mortgage lifter tomato.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll echo the poster above on Cherry Tomatoes.

The production:plant size ratio and continuous harvest of those things is great.  The flavor isn't as good as a brandywine or beefsteak, but you'll be "in" material for pastas, sauces, pico de gallo, etc etc for as long as the season goes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:19:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Mr stripey heirloom tomato. Oh so delicious.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#7]
This year we have been getting tomatoes all summer. My favorites by far are Steak Sandwich, Brandywine, and Cherokee Purple. They all taste fantastic and produce some pretty good size fruit. We also grew some Red Cherry, Super Sweet Hybrid Cherry, and Yellow Pear tomatoes and they are pretty tasty too.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Black Krim.  Real homegrown taste, firm flesh, acidic but not too much, not overly sweet.  Every year I plant more of these and less red varieties.  I only do heirlooms these days.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being from Tennessee you should try Cherokee Purple..
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll second the Cherokees. I've grown them for several years now; they're my favorite slicing tomato for hamburgers, sandwiches, or just salt & pepper on a plate at supper. They've been quite easy to grow (I trellis 'em with a Florida weave), and for me have been pest free.

I'm still looking for a smaller paste type to grow; tried Juliets this year, but I like sticking to heirlooms.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll second the Cherokees. I've grown them for several years now; they're my favorite slicing tomato for hamburgers, sandwiches, or just salt & pepper on a plate at supper. They've been quite easy to grow (I trellis 'em with a Florida weave), and for me have been pest free.

I'm still looking for a smaller paste type to grow; tried Juliets this year, but I like sticking to heirlooms.
View Quote

What about a heirloom san marzano?
I'm growing san marzanos for the first time this year and they seem to be growing well.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Finally settled on two varieties after 30 yrs. of gardening

'Better Boy' -  Med. to Large meaty, flavorful tomato. Good producer and generally an all around healthy looking plant

'Roma'-  Meaty, very flavorful. Perfect for sauces and pastes. Great producer. Can get large (ish) for a "small" tomato

eta- these aren't the only two varieties we're growing. Of the 28 plants we have, 6 are different and are heirlooms (I'll edit this post again when I remember the variety but I do remember they are some we haven't tried growing yet)
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 on Cherokee Purple for me, been doing them for 3 or 4 seasons now and they're by far our favorite.  Also doing grape and San Marzanos but have to spray them regularly to stave off blight and dust them with Sevin for bugs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mr stripey heirloom tomato. Oh so delicious.
View Quote

Us too.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Hard to beat a juicy beefsteak.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's a pic of the different varieties we grew this year.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 on Cherokee purple. If it were a steak, it would be a ribeye. they are also attractive
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#17]
How 'bout . . . the ones that are ripe?  

We've gotten about a dozen "Juliet" cherry 'maters so far, but only two of our Early Girls. All other varieties (all heirlooms) are still green.

Booo!!!  
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/Hardy_Johnson/media/20140629_113139_zpsfaa5c110.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o797/Hardy_Johnson/20140629_113139_zpsfaa5c110.jpg</a>
View Quote

literally started to salivate looking at that photo.  my 'maters are still at least 2 weeks away from being ripe... can't wait!
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:59:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Such a cold June here..prolly a month out for us..
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:35:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm growing san marzanos for the first time this year and they seem to be growing well.

San Marzano will not dissapoint You, growing them four Years now and one of the best paste Tomatos ever. Also good are Polish Linguisa, Costolouto Genovese, and Burpee Super Sauce.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:12:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm glad to hear all the positive comments about the Cherokee Purple.  We planted one for the first time this year and it is doing quite well.  Most of my plants are loaded up with green ones but just won't ripen.  

Grove
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I grow several different varities, but My favorite is Burpee Brandy Boy . It has all of Brandywine's good traits , but bigger , earlier and better flavor. But most important  " IT GROWS" !  Brandywine is My favorite but it just won't grow here, I have tried several times and failure every time. I don't know what Burpee did but I get banner crops of the best Tomatos ever , even during "off" Years when nothing grows good.

Another good big Tomato is Black Krim full of flavor with a hint of smokey taste , My Wifes favorite.

Stupice is another great variety full of great Tomato flavor , and would be one of My all time favorites except for its size, not much bigger than a golf ball. I grow this one every Year because it is really early and good tasting, matter of fact one is turning orange right now and will be red in a few days. Can't wate to eat it !

Sugary hybrid , is the best cherry Tomato I found . Actually more like a grape size with a pointed end , sweet and full of Tomato flavor and lots of them

Burpees Super Sauce, good flavor for sauce, paste ,or even as a slicer. Just great all around Tomato.

Pineapple , good slicer , good looker and tastes good too. red, pink and yellow marbled flesh.

This Year trying two new varietes : Indigo Rose and Indigo Apple , Dark Blue almost Black color fading to Red on the bottom supposed to be good, We'll see .

All in all got 80 Tomato plants in this Year.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:07:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I grow several different varities, but My favorite is Burpee Brandy Boy . It has all of Brandywine's good traits , but bigger , earlier and better flavor. But most important  " IT GROWS" !  Brandywine is My favorite but it just won't grow here, I have tried several times and failure every time. I don't know what Burpee did but I get banner crops of the best Tomatos ever , even during "off" Years when nothing grows good.

Another good big Tomato is Black Krim full of flavor with a hint of smokey taste , My Wifes favorite.

Stupice is another great variety full of great Tomato flavor , and would be one of My all time favorites except for its size, not much bigger than a golf ball. I grow this one every Year because it is really early and good tasting, matter of fact one is turning orange right now and will be red in a few days. Can't wate to eat it !

Sugary hybrid , is the best cherry Tomato I found . Actually more like a grape size with a pointed end , sweet and full of Tomato flavor and lots of them

Burpees Super Sauce, good flavor for sauce, paste ,or even as a slicer. Just great all around Tomato.

Pineapple , good slicer , good looker and tastes good too. red, pink and yellow marbled flesh.

This Year trying two new varietes : Indigo Rose and Indigo Apple , Dark Blue almost Black color fading to Red on the bottom supposed to be good, We'll see .

All in all got 80 Tomato plants in this Year.
View Quote

Nice, I am going to try the Burpee Super Sauce next year as it gets great reviews.
For paste tomatoes I usually grow San Marzano and Amish Paste. They are always good producers.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

literally started to salivate looking at that photo.  my 'maters are still at least 2 weeks away from being ripe... can't wait!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/Hardy_Johnson/media/20140629_113139_zpsfaa5c110.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o797/Hardy_Johnson/20140629_113139_zpsfaa5c110.jpg</a>

This I planted mine way late, some plants are over 7' high and threaten to take over the whole garden, heavy with fruit but only one tomato starting to turn.
Planted (Burpee) Delicious, Cherokee Purple, Black Crim, and something yellow, did not space them proper, it's a jungle in there
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#25]
^  Same here.  We had to plant in June here in PA because the winter ran so late this year. I thought I'd spaced mine enough but the cherries grew WAY bigger than I thought they would, already over 6' and heading to 7' fast.  I got 6 1/2 foot stakes and tie them up with twine regularly and within 2 or 3 days I have to tie more branches again.  Un-freaking-real!  Must have given them the prime spots w/ last year's fertilizer still in it because the others are much more moderate in their growth so far.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks! I'll check these out for next spring.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Best hybrid tomatoes

small
SunSugar hybrid

Medium
Honey delight hybrid (burpees)

Large
Steakhouse (burpees)

Open polinated

Small
siberian

Medium
Golden jubilee

Large
PineApple
Berkeley Tie-die
Brandywine Pink
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#28]
A good tomato juice recipe

12 to 14 tomatoes, any color Quartered
2 stalks celery with leaves to two medium cucumbers Peeled and chopped
1 medium onion chopped
1/2 to 1 cup water

Optional
hot chile peppers
sweet peppers
minced garlic
Peeled chopped summer squashed
(substitute flat beer for water)

Put in dutch oven and cook for 30 minutes

Strain or run through a juicer

add
1 tspoon salt
1/2 tspoon black pepper
1/4 tspoon peprika

Should make 2 to 3 quarts of juice

Put in container and chill.

Drink.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Planted Big Beef, Early Girl and Celebrity. Big Beef only has 2 large green tomatoes, Early Girl has 4 or 5 smaller green tomatoes. Celebrity is doing the best with 8 or 10 small green tomatoes.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:49:49 AM EDT
[#30]
According to our baby chicks (who are small enough to squeeze through the garden fence), it's the ones hanging low enough for them to reach.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#31]
My Thessalanoki heirloom plants are doing great.  I had to pinch off the tops when they got 5.5'+ tall so they could focus more on the fruit.  they look fairly laden with fruits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top