BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hi Ratling.  If you mentioned it I missed it, what short season corn are you using for your second planting?  Our silver queen should be ready in about a week or so and we're thinking about a second planting of some type this year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Hi Ratling.  If you mentioned it I missed it, what short season corn are you using for your second planting?  Our silver queen should be ready in about a week or so and we're thinking about a second planting of some type this year.

I am actually using a hybrid, called Early Sunglow.  It lists 63 days to harvest.  If you know ahead of time you can start the seeds in toilet paper roll middles and steal about 2 weeks on the timeline.   I just stacked the middles in a small tupperware, and used a cut-off 2 litre soda top with the pour hole enlarged to fill them with.  You can see the pics from the bloody butcher corn where I first experimented with the option.  The roots grow right through the roll, and you don't have any bare patches like you would if you direct-seeded.  The bloody butcher was about 10 ft tall and all but one stood through high wind with no issues.  This time I just used little seedling pots and some of them are already starting to wobble.  I think the roll middle encourage early root growth straight down which helps anchor the corn, but I couldn't swear to it.

It's been interesting reading about you guys in the Carolina's and south central because you're about two weeks ahead of us.  We'll be pulling the squash this weekend (SVB) and most of the cucs due to mildew.  The wife thinks I'm a genius because I mention these problems in advance

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#2]
On the squash note, the replacement summer squash and zucchini were already getting them stems eaten through.    

I just went ahead and pulled them.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
On the squash note, the replacement summer squash and zucchini were already getting them stems eaten through.    

View Quote

That sucks!!! I do not miss the dreaded Vine Borer. When I lived in NY it was a never ending battle with them. Have you tried Kaolin Clay?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That sucks!!! I do not miss the dreaded Vine Borer. When I lived in NY it was a never ending battle with them. Have you tried Kaolin Clay?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I decided to go with resistant stuff next year.  Thank you for the suggestion; I will keep it in mind if I decide to plant them again.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am actually using a hybrid, called Early Sunglow.  It lists 63 days to harvest.  If you know ahead of time you can start the seeds in toilet paper roll middles and steal about 2 weeks on the timeline.   I just stacked the middles in a small tupperware, and used a cut-off 2 litre soda top with the pour hole enlarged to fill them with.  You can see the pics from the bloody butcher corn where I first experimented with the option.  The roots grow right through the roll, and you don't have any bare patches like you would if you direct-seeded.  The bloody butcher was about 10 ft tall and all but one stood through high wind with no issues.  This time I just used little seedling pots and some of them are already starting to wobble.  I think the roll middle encourage early root growth straight down which helps anchor the corn, but I couldn't swear to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, Ratling!  I'm definitely going to try the tp roll idea, it makes sense and I do need to steal some calendar days up here...  I poked around at the local co-op today for seed ( sunglow) and didn't have any luck but I'll try again tomorrow when I'm in a larger city for a work project.  I'll check Southern Exposure too because they're within a reasonable driving distance.

Sorry to hear about your second planting of squash.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks, Ratling!  I'm definitely going to try the tp roll idea, it makes sense and I do need to steal some calendar days up here...  I poked around at the local co-op today for seed ( sunglow) and didn't have any luck but I'll try again tomorrow when I'm in a larger city for a work project.  I'll check Southern Exposure too because they're within a reasonable driving distance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Cool.  Let me know how it goes for you.  So far I have found them to be particularly good for beans and corn.  Other plants I don't see nearly as much difference as I do with those.

Quoted:
Sorry to hear about your second planting of squash.

Thanks man.  I had the same failure last year - I think contrary to what the interwebs say we don't have 2 separate SVB seasons here we have 2 overlapping SVB seasons.    On a positive note I planted the watermelon with the thought I could trim it back if the squash survived, and let it run if it didn't, so now the watermelon has a 16 ft run.  

On the other side of the trellis in that bed I have butternut on one end and pumpkin on the other.  The butternut is resistant to SVB, so if the pumpkin succumbs I will just let the butternut go, well, nuts.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#9]
On a positive note I planted the watermelon with the thought I could trim it back if the squash survived, and let it run if it didn't, so now the watermelon has a 16 ft run.  

On the other side of the trellis in that bed I have butternut on one end and pumpkin on the other.  The butternut is resistant to SVB, so if the pumpkin succumbs I will just let the butternut go, well, nuts.  
View Quote

So, you've been around the block ehh
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
On a positive note I planted the watermelon with the thought I could trim it back if the squash survived, and let it run if it didn't, so now the watermelon has a 16 ft run.  

Yeah, well, for right now the melons are on one side of the bed and the (butter)nuts are on the other.  I have no doubt by the end of August they will be crawling all over each other.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#11]
The recent harvest:

The butternut squash is already starting to form baby butternuts.

Pumpkin.

Watermelon, already forming baby melons.

Tomatoes.

Tomatillas and corn.  The tomatillas are finally starting to produce fruit, about 2 months late.

Herbs, onions, and strawberries.

Glasswort.

The newest run of potatoes - I wanted to see if I could pull a decent harvest from a July planting.

The original bucket potato experiment, still going strong.

Replanted supermarket green onion bottoms.  I have been harvesting from them as needed and they don't seem to mind.

Sugar snaps, bush beans, winged beans(on the trellis) and eggplant.

The honeydew is doing well but the cilantro is determined to bolt.

I am down to about a quarter of the parsnip seedlings I planted.

Artichoke, bush beans, and the rhubarb that refuses to die.

Of the 8 bush bean seedlings I planted here, only 2 made it through the heat.  I filled the holes with daikon radish seedlings and so far they are not doing terribly well either.  I may just give over July and August next year to the summer vines - watermelon, butternut, honeydew, etc.

Butterbeans.  Productivity-wise, fairly disappointing.  The taste and tenderness were excellent though.

It's kind of hard to see through the mesh seedling protector, but I planted out some carrots here last week.  So far all seedlings are still alive.

Sweet potatoes.

Broccoli, and a better shot of a seedling cage.  This keeps the neighborhood cats from digging up the bed.  Once the plants are established they leave them alone, but they can't seem to resist a freshly dug bed.  This one is 7 inches tall with a 1/4 inch mesh.  I don't know if it is fine enough to keep out cabbage moths but I am going to find out.

All but 1 of the beets I planted here died.  All but 1 of the beets I planted a month ago elsewhere also died.  I guess unlike broccoli when they call them cool weather crops they meant that.  

Lettuce seedlings (foreground) that I transplanted a week ago.  So far they are all still alive.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#12]
It is official - It's now August and I still have things alive in the garden!  W00t!  I started some more seedlings just in case:
forono beets
bloomsdale longstanding spinach
sun king broccoli
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is that Downy on your honeydew?
View Quote

Possibly.  I will spray it with copper and see what happens.  I can't do anything about the humidity.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If it's a resistant variety it might be okay.  

Have you been using copper in the garden this year?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that Downy on your honeydew?

Possibly.  I will spray it with copper and see what happens.  I can't do anything about the humidity.  

If it's a resistant variety it might be okay.  

Have you been using copper in the garden this year?

Only for the apples.  It has been so humid fireblight has been widespread.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#17]
The harvests are a little slow from the heat, but things are still coming in.  

The carrots are coming along - I lost about 20% of the seedlings - not bad for August in the South.

3 of the 4 lettuce seedlings look to have made it, and I have more growing to back-fill with.

Butternut squash and pumpkins.  The garden is looking rough - I let the stink bug population get ahead of me when I got buried at work for a few weeks.

Corn, tomatillas and tomatoes:

Watermelon:

Tomatoes:

Eggplant, honeydew, kholrabi, and parsnips.  I sprayed the honeydew with copper which seems to have arrested the spot issue, but it still looks pretty un-cosmetic.

So far the mesh cage appears to be working against the cabbage moth.  I have some slug damage, but I haven't found a single cabbage moth worm or any eggs!  Since they normally devastate things I plant this is real progress.

Sweet potatoes.  I actually had a few flowers on them earlier this week.  Hopefully that's a sign they are busy making sweet potato tuberrs.

Fall seedlings.  The left bin has brussels sprouts, kale, lettuce, kholrabi and cabbage.  Those will go in this weekend if I get the mesh cages done in time.  I had a list of what was in the right bin but managed to mis-place it (Probably accidently thrown out) so it will be seedling suprise.  I can tell the stuff at the top is beets, mostly due to the number of times recently I have started beet seedlings only to have them die like chumps.  
Edit - I just looked back through the thread, looks like I did document the first three there - beets (as I thought), more broccoli in case the last set died, and spinach.  The other stuff may be more lettuce.  

This weekend I may make 1 more attempt at snow peas, english peas, and sugar snaps and start some more seeds.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#18]
It's time for the August birth and death listings.

Dead:
The sugar baby pumpkin is doing really poorly and half-dead - I will probably rip it out.
The Chinese long beans have reached their end of life and will probably come out this weekend as well.
I am fighting leaf-footed stinkbugs on my eggplant - it looks like the soapy water may be working after all, I just need to be a little more persistent with it.  
The tomatilla - normally a huge producer for me - lost 2 months due to storm kill and replace - I don't know if I will get anything by the end of the season.  The only reason I haven't ripped it out is a combination of vague hope and not having anything ready to replace it.
The early corn I put in got 3 ft tall and tasseled - I suspect I did not fertilize enough to counter the combined effect of the wood chips and the corn heavy nitrogen needs.  Oops.  
All but 1 of the English pea seedlings I set out a few weeks ago died.

New plantings:
I transplanted some brussels sprouts seedlings out this past weekend.
I put some new lettuce seedlings out to help ensure a continuous harvest.
There isn't really enough time to start and transplant more English pea seedlings.  I soaked a few seeds overnight and direct planted them on the off-chance they will take
I just added a new set of kale seedlings to a slightly shady spot - Once it's cooler annd the summer stuff comes out they will have full sun.

Previous plantings that survived long enough to move to the probable survivors list:
My broccoli just reached a few weeks old and is growing well *knock on wood*.
My bush beans just hit about a month and they are flowering.
My lettuce transplants just got large enough to get moved off the seedling list.
The southern peas I put in just to see if there was enough time to get anything are half way up the trellis and flowering.
The sugar baby watermelon is off the seedling list and has 2 decent-sized melons on it.  So far neither the SVB's or the stink bugs care for the watermelon, which is a recommendation in my book.
The butternut squash is off the seedlings list but so far only has 1 squash where they usually have 5 or 6 by now.  I added fertilizer and we will see how it goes.  
The carrot seedlings I put in a month ago are large enough to come off the seedlings list.

Remaining warm-season crops:
tomatoes
eggplant
tomatilla
jalapeno pepper
bell pepper
sweet potatoes
bucket potatoes
honeydew melon
sugar baby watermelon
winged beans (note: these little suckers STILL haven't flowered.  I am not very impressed with them at all.)
bush beans
southern peas

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, the tomatoes and butternut squash got infested with 2 different kinds of stink bugs.  Since it's near the end of the season anyway I am in the process of ripping them out and sending them to the dump.    The sugar baby watermelon was producing beautiful melons, but each one had a hole in  it before it was ready to pick.    That got ripped out too.  The forecast looks like low 90's for the next 15 days, and I have unexpected holes in my garden.  Again.  Oh well, it went better than last year.  The fall stuff in bed 4 is coming along fairly well, and I just started yet more seedlings - english peas, snow peas, spinach, cabbage, and crisphead lettuce.  I am going to wait another week or so and see if the average temp goes down before putting the previous batch of seedlings into the ground.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:42:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am, frankly, impressed as hell with your stamina.

This time of year most people are just ignoring the garden and letting the weeds take it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, the tomatoes and butternut squash got infested with 2 different kinds of stink bugs.  Since it's near the end of the season anyway I am in the process of ripping them out and sending them to the dump.    The sugar baby watermelon was producing beautiful melons, but each one had a hole in  it before it was ready to pick.    That got ripped out too.  The forecast looks like low 90's for the next 15 days, and I have unexpected holes in my garden.  Again.  Oh well, it went better than last year.  The fall stuff in bed 4 is coming along fairly well, and I just started yet more seedlings - english peas, snow peas, spinach, cabbage, and crisphead lettuce.  I am going to wait another week or so and see if the average temp goes down before putting the previous batch of seedlings into the ground.

I am, frankly, impressed as hell with your stamina.

This time of year most people are just ignoring the garden and letting the weeds take it.

Thanks!  Though to be honest, it's my stress release.  When work makes me want to yell at someone, I go make changes in the garden.  It's better for my stress levels and my career than actually telling them what I think of their work ethics and probable IQ.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Last week's harvest:

Bed 1:
I have emptied the bed but I don't have anything ready to go in yet.  I may direct seed some carrots.

Bed 2:
I just finished planting this with a combination of cabbage, beets, broccoli, lettuce, and spinach.  I usually have very poor luck getting anything to take in August, so we will see how it goes.  This is my 3rd or 4th attempt at getting beets to take in warm weather.

Bed 3:
The kale seems to have established itself successfully, and the mellow yellow beans have started producing.

The eggplant is growing like gangbusters.  I managed to knock back the leaf-footed stinkbugs to pretty much gone, but something is eating tiny little holes in the leaves.

Parsnips and kholrabi.

Tenderpick green beans and jalapenos.

Bed 4:
Cabbage, brussels sprouts, lettuce.

Carrots.

Broccoli.

Sweet potatoes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The harvests are a little slow from the heat, but things are still coming in.  

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/081515B_zpsq3xw6zny.jpg

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/081515C_zpsmmrtgxqu.jpg

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/081515D_zpsnwnkzlsv.jpg

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/081515E_zps4iap1vef.jpg

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/081515F_zpslmlks53q.jpg

The carrots are coming along - I lost about 20% of the seedlings - not bad for August in the South.

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/081515H_zpsc7wrdfmg.jpg

3 of the 4 lettuce seedlings look to have made it, and I have more growing to back-fill with.

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/081515P_zpse32qto8m.jpg

Butternut squash and pumpkins.  The garden is looking rough - I let the stink bug population get ahead of me when I got buried at work for a few weeks.

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/081515J_zps4qze4ovy.jpg

Corn, tomatillas and tomatoes:

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/081515K_zpsqt5iu6y5.jpg

Watermelon:

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/081515L_zps2gezpbom.jpg

Tomatoes:

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/081515M_zpsuu8agpkl.jpg

Eggplant, honeydew, kholrabi, and parsnips.  I sprayed the honeydew with copper which seems to have arrested the spot issue, but it still looks pretty un-cosmetic.

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/081515O_zpsr5edn6k0.jpg

So far the mesh cage appears to be working against the cabbage moth.  I have some slug damage, but I haven't found a single cabbage moth worm or any eggs!  Since they normally devastate things I plant this is real progress.

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/081515R_zpsretgoavy.jpg

Sweet potatoes.  I actually had a few flowers on them earlier this week.  Hopefully that's a sign they are busy making sweet potato tuberrs.

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/081515S_zpsvqwgxtil.jpg

Fall seedlings.  The left bin has brussels sprouts, kale, lettuce, kholrabi and cabbage.  Those will go in this weekend if I get the mesh cages done in time.  I had a list of what was in the right bin but managed to mis-place it (Probably accidently thrown out) so it will be seedling suprise.  I can tell the stuff at the top is beets, mostly due to the number of times recently I have started beet seedlings only to have them die like chumps.  

Edit - I just looked back through the thread, looks like I did document the first three there - beets (as I thought), more broccoli in case the last set died, and spinach.  The other stuff may be more lettuce.  

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r791/ratling87/081515T_zpsinzu9ipf.jpg

This weekend I may make 1 more attempt at snow peas, english peas, and sugar snaps and start some more seeds.

View Quote
Any secret to the carrots?

I lost 5/5 of mine within 3 days

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:Any secret to the carrots?

I lost 5/5 of mine within 3 days

View Quote

Mainly I just keep them wet until established.  Before transplanting I pour water into the hole.  After transplanting I soak mine in the morning before work and again in the evening if I have time for the first week, then 1/day for about another week.  After that they are usually about bullet-proof.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#25]
You mentioned temperatures in the mid-90s. I'm surprised at your tomatoes, because all 4 years that we've had a garden, the tomatoes stopped producing fruit in early August (temps in late July topping 100 for 2 weeks straight...). This year, I left the plants because they're still growing greenery and still producing flowers, but no tomatoes. I was assuming that the heat wouldn't let the blooms set fruit, but maybe not? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You mentioned temperatures in the mid-90s. I'm surprised at your tomatoes, because all 4 years that we've had a garden, the tomatoes stopped producing fruit in early August (temps in late July topping 100 for 2 weeks straight...). This year, I left the plants because they're still growing greenery and still producing flowers, but no tomatoes. I was assuming that the heat wouldn't let the blooms set fruit, but maybe not? Thoughts?
View Quote

I find Better Boys and Early Girls are heat tolerant to almost 100, especially if you strip the lower leaves and bury them deep.  Even then when it gets about 96 or so the tomatoes formed tend to be progressively smaller until the heat lets up.  If it gets over 100 ours pretty much give up too.  Our local temps tend to top out at 98-ish, and they shuffle through with a minor dip in productivity at the height of the season.  What varieties are you growing?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, it is the last day of August and temperatures are finally edging down closer to 90 - In another week or we will mostly see mid-80's as the highs.  This is about the temperature I always get the urge to plant a fall garden.  The problem with this is that it is already too late.  From here we have 60 days left till November when we start getting light freezes.  Very little comes properly to maturity in 60 days.  I do have some seedlings already started that I will plant out and hope, but I won't start anything else.  The good news is I paid a lot more attention this year.  This year's fall plantings have more of a chance than last years.   Next years will hopefully be better yet as I winnow down when to start the seedlings, and which ones not to bother with in fall.  

For my area:
carrots  - Works well, but start them inside early August or wait until September and direct seed in the cooler weather.  Water really well the first week or so.
lettuces - Works well, but start them inside at 1 week intervals starting early August.  Water really well the first week or so.
broccoli - Short season seem to work okay, start indoors mid-July and transplant mid-August.
brussels sprouts - These may work as they handle the heat okay for starting, but I will need to start them a lot earlier, say, July.
peas (english, sugar snaps, snow) - These may work.  Will need to start in early August in peat pots, transfer out last week of August when things start to cool.
beets - So far mostly a failure.  Possibly if I started some inside at the start of August, and planted out a week or so into September.  I am testing this now, however it doesn't leave a lot of time to size up.  They really, really don't like the August heat.
spinach - I am currently testing a late August seeding for a early September planting.
cauliflower - I have had 0 luck with these every year.  Most websites suggest not bothering unless you live somewhere like the pacific north west.
kale - My mid-July seed start for mid-August transplant is working so far.
radishes - I haven't tried these in fall before other than daikon - I may run some just to see as they are so quick to produce.
cabbage - This is my first year trying cabbage in fall instead of spring.  Most likely I put it in too late but we will see what happens.  I might look around for a short-season cabbage next year
kholrabi - This can go in as early as mid-july and doesn't seem to mind the heat.

As always, this is just what is working at the moment in my yard.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#28]
The last few days harvest:

I (accidently) grew Huitlacoche aka Mexican corn truffle aka corn smut.  No, I did not eat it.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What is that?  I've never seen anything like that here.

Also..

It's interesting, your choices and what works.

Good illustration of every garden in every zone being it's own different animal.

Here we had an unusually cool August but looks like going in we're gonna have a hot September.

Might happen one year, might not the next.

I dont' know if you're more consistent than we are or not.

I think, 100 years from now, there might be an approximation of a climate cycle chart that will help.  "In year X we go into El Nino.  So in year X3, August will be cool, so you can plan on X plants doing well, and y bugs having  a heyday."

In year X4, we go into an even cooler cycle....

In year X5, things turn hot again, and the whole summer will be dry and will not get below 85 even at night."

Seriously we are young at this charting thing.

Diaries like yours will be beneficial to gardeners many generations from now, assuming Goatboy can code the archives so they can be read by future generations.

Arfcom will be a time capsule of a sort, and it'll include documentation of gardens such as yours.

This is good stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I (accidently) grew Huitlacoche aka Mexican corn truffle aka corn smut.  No, I did not eat it.  

What is that?  I've never seen anything like that here.

Also..

It's interesting, your choices and what works.

Good illustration of every garden in every zone being it's own different animal.

Here we had an unusually cool August but looks like going in we're gonna have a hot September.

Might happen one year, might not the next.

I dont' know if you're more consistent than we are or not.

I think, 100 years from now, there might be an approximation of a climate cycle chart that will help.  "In year X we go into El Nino.  So in year X3, August will be cool, so you can plan on X plants doing well, and y bugs having  a heyday."

In year X4, we go into an even cooler cycle....

In year X5, things turn hot again, and the whole summer will be dry and will not get below 85 even at night."

Seriously we are young at this charting thing.

Diaries like yours will be beneficial to gardeners many generations from now, assuming Goatboy can code the archives so they can be read by future generations.

Arfcom will be a time capsule of a sort, and it'll include documentation of gardens such as yours.

This is good stuff.

Thanks Kitties!  The corn stuff is basically corn smut.  In the US it is generally considered a negative and we spray to avoid it.  In Mexico it is considered an expensive delicacy.  From what I understand it is an acquired taste, although apparently it contains vitamins not found in the original corn.  I imagine for a culture dependent in large part on corn for it's diet, those extra vitamins went a long way to preventing malnutrition in hard times.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

OKay I have read a couple of articles on huitlacoche.  Are you going to attempt to use it?

View Quote

Nope.  It scares me.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I pulled one of the lettuce heads - as expected it's been too hot and it is bitter.  The others I planted later should be ready to go in cooler weather.

The short season corn was ready to go in ~60 days, as advertised.  This variety only got to be about 4 ft tall.  It was a very small block so i don't hold the unfilled kernels against it.  The main problem was fungus, and ants.  The kernels that did fill were plump, and the corn smelled rich and sweet.  Kitties, you can see a burst corn smut pocket around the middle ear - it is a nasty tar-like black inside.  blech.

I pulled the peppers and eggplant, and the beans are still cranking out steady production.  I also pulled the first of the fall kholrabi.  Unlike the stuff in spring that was slightly shadded and had thick stems and a small bulb, this had slender stems and a nice fat bulb.  I believe the difference was full sun.

The potatoe in a bucket I planted months ago was dying back, so I pulled it....almost no potatoes.  I pulled the other 2 - almost no potatoes.  So, I scratched my head and asked Google WTH...

Well, I now know why I have no potatoes:
http://www.garden.org/foodguide/browse/veggie/potatoes_getting_started/560
"...Years ago, research showed that fewer and fewer tubers were formed on the plants as the temperature went from 68o to 84oF. In fact, none formed at 84° F. "
Yeah, it's been a lot hotter than 84 degrees.  Next year I will try a spring planting in buckets, and a fall planting in buckets.  I have a 2 buckets that are just coming up now that I thought were dead -I doubt they have enough time to do anything before first frost, but we will see.

Bed 1 peas - sugar snaps, english peas, and snow peas.  I tried last year and planted too late.  I tried earlier this year and planted too early.  This time it looks like they will survive the heat.  If they don't have enough time to produce anything I will declare them just not suited for fall planting in my area.

Bed 1 cabbage.  I didn't need anymore cabbage but they were at the store for 1$, and further along than mine, so I gave them a shot.

Bed 2 mixed:  The naked-looking patch actually has small beets and spinach.  Beets are another one I may just need to cross off of the list for fall in my area.  It stays hot here until half-way through September, and by October we get very little daylight.

Bed 3 - beans, kale, and artichoke.

Bed 3 - The surviving parsnips and kholrabi.

Bed 3 - empty spaces waiting for seedlings once it cools off.

Bed 4 - Sweet potatoes - These started flowering in August so I have high hopes for a good crop.

Bed 4 - carrots.

Bed 4 - lettuce, brussels sprouts, and cabbage.

Bed 4 - July-planted sun king broccoli.  If this works and isn't bitter I will do it again next year.

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Cool.  Let me know how it goes for you.  So far I have found them to be particularly good for beans and corn.  Other plants I don't see nearly as much difference as I do with those.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rolls actually worked very well in the plastic tub.  Germination of the Sunglow corn only took 3-4 days and I pulled a couple of the plants when about 4 inches tall to inspect the root development and they looked good.  Unfortunatley, despite almost no rain here in August, we had one storm that dumped about an inch of rain over 15 minutes and it destroyed the corn in the tub along with the cilantro etc in flats.  My mistake by leaving them vulnerable... I was going to plant them in two days but missed the boat...
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Why did you give up on the eggplant?
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was nearing the end of the season and it had stopped flowering.  I will plant more next year.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The rolls actually worked very well in the plastic tub.  Germination of the Sunglow corn only took 3-4 days and I pulled a couple of the plants when about 4 inches tall to inspect the root development and they looked good.  Unfortunatley, despite almost no rain here in August, we had one storm that dumped about an inch of rain over 15 minutes and it destroyed the corn in the tub along with the cilantro etc in flats.  My mistake by leaving them vulnerable... I was going to plant them in two days but missed the boat...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am glad to hear the rolls and tub worked well for you.  It's a shame about the storm damage, but there is always next year!
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It was nearing the end of the season and it had stopped flowering.  I will plant more next year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense.  I was wondering if the pests and August had stressed it too much.  Ours have slowed but are still producing flowers, fingers crossed.

Good luck with your fall push, the color of your plants looks real good.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That makes sense.  I was wondering if the pests and August had stressed it too much.  Ours have slowed but are still producing flowers, fingers crossed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Bill!
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, I haven't been in the garden much in a week or so.  I planted the last of the fall seedlings this evening - I doubt they have enough time to do anything, but I will see.  The lettuce I planted in August is bolting, but other than that things seems to moving along just fine without my help.  

The last of the bush beans are still producing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Brussels Sprouts, cabbage, kholrabi, and lettuce.  It went back into the 90's, and the lettuce is bolting again.  :(

Carrots and broccoli.

Sweet potatoes.

Bush beans, artichoke and kale.  I noticed the leaves on the kale were showing damage so I investigated....yep, looks like cabbage moth eggs.  I probably could have hit them with sevin but I haven't had a lot of time to nurse things so I just ripped them out.

Last weeks seedling transplant variety pack.

Lettuce and kholrabi.  Maybe this batch of lettuce will skip bolting.  I am not sure I love kholrabi but it seems to grow though anything my location throws at it.

Parsnips and yet more kholrabi.

More of that mixed seedling batch.

I finally have some beets that made it..well, so far anyway.  The broccoli is looking okay as well - the spinach that was interplanted with the beets all died in the heat.

More broccoli.

The cabbage I picket up from the home store.

Various peas -english, snow, sugar snap.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I planted a set of 3 irises this past spring and only 1 bloomed.  Now they are catching up - this one is in full bloom with more buds that haven't opened yet, and the other is showing buds that should start blooming shortly.  I enjoyed them enough I added 2 more of different colors to the bed for next spring.

The pea varieties don't seem to mind sprawling across the bed instead of climbing, and some of them are already starting to bloom.

The Lowe's bargain cabbages are starting to actually look like cabbages - The cabbage moths liked the kale so much everything else appears to have been mostly spared.  I may try that again deliberatly next year, sequentially planting kale and pulling it as soon as it is loaded with eggs.  

Broccoli.  I did a lot of broccoli this year since it can be relatively quick and our fall season is so short.

Here's the small amount of beets that made it from the mid-August planting.  The holes were planted with spinach - it died ugly and quick.

The beans are at the end of their lifecycle, but the artichoke is going like gangbusters.  Artichokes only make chokes once they are at least 2 years old so I will transplant this to a large pot and see if luck is with me next year.  I realised this year they don't like our summers, but now that I have nursed this one through a full year I want to give a shot at producing some chokes.  

Lettuce, spinach, and collards.  Maybe THIS batch of lettuce won't bolt.  It's weird, mid-summer I had a heading iceberg type in full sun and it was fine, and now in the fall the leaf type is bolting.  Go figure.  Maybe it's a variety thing.  The heading lettuce came from Lowe's - it just listed iceberg, which is usually not heat tolerant.  I mainly bought it because it was on sale.    

My sweet potatoes are flowering like mad - I will probably pull them next week since it is starting to get cooler.

The last batch of beets - I think this one went in at the start of the month.  It will be a race to see if they can produce anything before the frost kills them.

The green beans here are near the end of their life, and the yard cat tore out most of the carrots.  Normally I keep stuff covered with a mesh cage until it's larger but I had more seedlings than cages and took a gamble.  I lost.

Brussels Sprouts, cabbage, a few kholrabi and some lettuce. The kholrabi should come out soon and the lettuce bolted (again) so there should be enough room at that point.

The surviving carrots from an earlier batch:

This broccoli was planted in August.  The plants have huge leaves and are just starting to form tiny heads.

The summer parsnips and kholrabi and puttering along here.

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just how low do your temperatures get over winter?  It's been my experience that most of what you are growing right now will survive repeated frosts with no problem.  The Brassicas are especially hardy.  I bet you could grow kale, cabbage, and brussle sprouts all winter long as long they got established before the weather turned too cold.  Spinach is pretty hardy and frankly I don't even try to plant it until the temps are consistently below 70 degrees.  It too would probably grow all winter long as long as it wasn't buried under snow.  Mache or corn salad is another salad green that would be worth investigating.  Since you have been having trouble with beets, try sowing some now.  They will survive frosts.  Most cold tolerant crops actually taste better once they've been hit by a frost.  One year I grew spinach, lettuce, broccoli, and cauliflower where the over night lows were particularly cold for my area (down to 18 degrees).  Everything survived with only a light sheet covering the plants at night.  Down to 27 degrees or so the aforementioned crops don't even need to be covered.
View Quote

We drop down to single digits here a couple of times each winter.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Ratling, hope all is well, how are you guys doing down there?  We've had about eight days of rain and some flooding but I think your area got the bulk of it..
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes, this.  Check in when you can, Ratling, and let us know if all is well for you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ratling, hope all is well, how are you guys doing down there?  We've had about eight days of rain and some flooding but I think your area got the bulk of it..

Yes, this.  Check in when you can, Ratling, and let us know if all is well for you.

All I can say is "raised bed gardens ftw!"  
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#50]
LOL- Good to see that you still have a sense of humor!

Take care and glad you're ok.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top