User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 1:49:53 AM EDT

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:58:27 AM EDT
[#1]
some butter and Parmesan cheese:  yum.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL, I've been picking since February down here.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

TRG
View Quote

Well, it's warm in Somalia, dont'cha know...  ;)

I usually see the first shoots here around the first week of April.  This year's been off-kilter; had days in the 80's, and then it snowed again last Thursday
Back up in the 80's for the weekend again.  Go figure.

I'm just glad to see 'em.  Asparagus is my second-favorite garden veggie, after tomatoes.  And maybe sweet corn.  Whatever... it's up there somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#4]

I love that stuff!  We're going to work up a bed this summer so we can plant some next spring, but I've never grown it before.

What varieties do you guys grow, and how many plants?  
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

TRG
View Quote

You have asparagus?  Bring some if u can.

Txl

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I love that stuff!  We're going to work up a bed this summer so we can plant some next spring, but I've never grown it before.

What varieties do you guys grow, and how many plants?  
View Quote

Nothing exotic for us, I think it's mostly Jersey Knight with some Mary Washington here and there.  I'd guess we planted around 50 crowns in total, although it wasn't all at once... add a few every year.  Our bed is maybe 10'x20'.

My favorite way to cook it is big fat spears tossed with olive oil and coarse salt, then thrown on the grill.  Grilling seems to bring out a sweet taste that's a little different than steamed, although I don't turn my nose up at steamed either.  Good stuff.

I like it because it's perennial... once it's there, it's there.  Weed control is a problem for us, though.  We generally use a layer of cardboard with grass clippings or shredded leaves on top for most of our garden, which of course won't work for asparagus since it has to be able to poke through.  I spent a couple of hours yesterday pulling dandelions out of the bed.

This afternoon's task is to rebuild the fence around the patch.  We have free-ranging chickens, and they find that open spot pretty attractive.  They don't seem to eat the asparagus itself, but they sure play hell with the ground scratching and rooting it all up, which I don't think the asparagus appreciates.  They also stomp down a fair number of spears when the sneak in there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top