Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/7/2014 4:42:40 PM EDT
I live in a smaller suburban neighborhood. Pretty private w decent sized yards.

I've went a little crazy with animals in the last six months.

We raised laying chickens from chicks starting the end of May, five of them. We've been getting eggs for almost two months now. I don't need five bit I assumed one or more would die or end up mis-sexed and be a boy. I was wrong ;-) the advantage is I can give my neighbors some eggs ever once in a while.

I added rabbits, one boy, two girls, of breeding age right after that the chickens. I just harvested my first small liter this last month and have another litter of seven to harvest in a couple weeks

I added Muscovy ducks right after that. Ended up with one boy and two girls again. They haven't done anything yet, but the boy has been breeding the girls a lot latey so maybe they'll start laying.

I got three free toulouse geese just a few weeks ago. (One boy , two girls again) One just laid an egg, so we will see what happens.

I give them all store bought feed for about half their food, they forage and I grow them fodder from wheat, rye, oats, and barley seed.

It's pretty easy, though I can't say too much yet as I haven't successfully hatched and raised to butcher age any birds yet.

My chickens are the nicest since we raised them from chicks. The geese are my favorite so far. I know geese have a bad rep but I like them.  These were raised by a young girl to be show geese, so they want to like us, they just don't know us yet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#1]
What, no sheep?

Seriously, sounds like quite a little farm you got going there.  I look forward to hearing more about it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#2]
:-)

If I had a least an acre and good fences I'd have some sheep and goats.

As it is, these animals only need a little run with cheap fencing. I let them run around the yard also but I don't have fences so they visit the neighborhood a little. Nobody minds but I'm going to have to do something about it at some point.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My chickens are the nicest since we raised them from chicks. The geese are my favorite so far. I know geese have a bad rep but I like them. These were raised by a young girl to be show geese, so they want to like us, they just don't know us yet.
View Quote

What kind of chickens?  Their breed often dictates their temperament but raising them from chicks does help.  Geese can get very attached to their owner and wary of strangers, even aggressive.  I could never get near any of my dad's geese when I went home for a visit but they always greeted him warmly.

Where are the pics?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The chickens are all varients of rocks. Barred, Plymouth, etc.

I got them becuse the sign in the feed store said they were nice and were good backyard chickens ! :-)

I've posted some pics in other threads . I'll dig some up.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#5]

And a girl with a gun. :-)

Link Posted: 1/8/2014 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't answer if you don't want to for PERSEC reasons, but what body of water is that?  Any fish in it?  What kind?  The ducks and geese must love it!  Does your property go down to the water's edge?  Great pics.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 12:29:14 AM EDT
[#7]
That's Puget Sound, so yes there are fish in it :-)

But we are over 200' almost straight up. No access.

For scale, in the first pic the boat you see is a multi-hundred car ferry.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#8]
My god that is absolutely beautiful! Congrats to you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#9]
That's pretty damn cool.

Any predator problems with your free-range birds?
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#10]
They have a pen at night. I only let them run around when I'm home in the afternoon.

But no we don't have anything, not even raccoons around here.

Well we do have bald eagles, but they cruise off the edge of the cliff and I've be over seen them look at anything but the water.

Now that I have geese the pen area should be even safer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#11]
What the hell kind of rifle is that?  I've been around the block with guns, but never seen one of those.

ETA:  I do recognize the sturmgewehr on the bench.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What the hell kind of rifle is that?  I've been around the block with guns, but never seen one of those.

View Quote

FG42 one of the rarest modern rifles in private hands.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice.  Nazi Germany produced a lot of really cool stuff - just not much of it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glad somebody noticed the gun, but I worried nobody noticed the girl :-)
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People are trying to be respectful.  We're not going to act like horn-dogs in the tech forums.

Is there anything to stop someone from falling off the cliff?  Can the animals fall off?

Link Posted: 1/8/2014 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#16]
It's not quite a cliff, really steep though. You'd have to try to fall down it, and if you did it would be hell to get back up.

Lots of vegetation so the animals shouldn't go down it. They are pretty conservative. The don't go far and they normally move pretty slow.

A few years ago I used to see raccoon tracks coming up part of it, but is threw a ton of branches down there and haven't seen anyone make a trail in a long while.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

We share some FB friends and comment on some of the same threads.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do we argue ? ;-)
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 12:06:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:Do we argue ? ;-)
View Quote

Do I look that stupid? ;)

I just sit on the sidelines and make snarky comments.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Are you gonna tell us about the girl or not?  
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's not quite a cliff, really steep though. You'd have to try to fall down it, and if you did it would be hell to get back up.

Lots of vegetation so the animals shouldn't go down it. They are pretty conservative. The don't go far and they normally move pretty slow.

A few years ago I used to see raccoon tracks coming up part of it, but is threw a ton of branches down there and haven't seen anyone make a trail in a long while.
View Quote

Got it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:05:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Depending on which ferry that is, there is a good chance my house is in the background in that pic.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Very cool, and great view!
We are about to get some Indian runners and khaki Campbells. Do you have a problem with the mess your ducks make? I've several people try to discourage us from getting them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#24]
That's the Clinton ferry

We keep all the birds in a run that's about 12' x 30'. I let them out to run the yard when I'm home in the afternoons some times. I've added another 12' x 20 ish area that is going to be for the geese only as I guess they get super protective when they raise young.

We don't have a patio, but a slightly raised deck with railings. So the animals can't get on it. If it was a patio I'm sure they would crap all over it.  

And .....the girl is my GF and that's a friends FG42 :-)
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Can you give some detail about your fodder system?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I guess my thread on it went away

There are lots of youtube videos on it.

Basically soak whole grains for 24 hours with a cap of bleach, rinse and spread in container about an inch thick. Soak and drain daily (I only do it every other day)

Stuff grows like crazy, I feed it to the ducks , geese, and rabbits when  it's about six inches high (7 days or so)

I'm doing oats, wheat, rye, and barley. I pave done flax and sunflower also. I've been throwing a handful of flax in with the other grains lately.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Are you gonna tell us about the girl or not?  
View Quote

That's my GF ;-)

We were at a social for PNW defense contractor types. My friend owns the FG. It was the first rifle she'd held. She's since learned a bit about shooting.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Thawed water , everyone almost getting along

Btw did the video work? Hard to tell sometimes on the ipad.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Fourteen goose eggs. They are pretty protective of them, especially when she's laying.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Great scenery. Super jealous.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Very cool! I love Toulouse and Muscovies. Very jealous of your little flock. Do they all house together?
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#32]
they all live together but they don't like each other much
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s823.photobucket.com/user/_RAGNAR_/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4070_zpsb2b9c953.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz154/_RAGNAR_/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4070_zpsb2b9c953.jpg</a>

Fourteen goose eggs. They are pretty protective of them, especially when she's laying.
View Quote

Are you going to let her hatch them all?

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#34]
I wasn't planning on getting in the way. I'm hoping my ducks and geese will just do their thing without assistance.

I has gotten below freezing though and supposedly that effects the hatching rate. Once again though I just want them to do their business without me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#35]
For as much as they all dislike each other, they sure hang out close together when I let them out of the run. I guess they are just used to each other and proximity is comfortable.

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Finally got motivated enough to slaughter and clean the next batch of rabbits, about two weeks late :-(

Good thing is they dressed out at 3lbs +.

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#37]
About 23# of rabbit drying

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:30:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Couple of my friends are looking into raising rabbits. Any weird things go on with them, that you don't really think about until you have them?

by the way awesome pics.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s823.photobucket.com/user/_RAGNAR_/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4117_zps735782ac.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz154/_RAGNAR_/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4117_zps735782ac.jpg</a>
View Quote

Can you explain "drying"? I always just clean, wash and freeze.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s823.photobucket.com/user/_RAGNAR_/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4117_zps735782ac.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz154/_RAGNAR_/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4117_zps735782ac.jpg</a>

I'm trying to get all the extra water off them first. I don't have any science behind me, but i think more water on the meat equals more freezer burn. I just left them out for a couple hours and rotated them and shook them off, patted them down, etc.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Couple of my friends are looking into raising rabbits. Any weird things go on with them, that you don't really think about until you have them?

by the way awesome pics.
View Quote

They are the easiest thing possible, they breed like....well...:-)

Doing it again I'd get some stacking wire cages. I'm going to get some as soon as I find some on CL for cheap, or I'll try my hand at making them.

I'll keep the tractor and put the young in it after they ween. But honestly with feeding them fodder, they really don't need to eat the grass.  

If you want to go away for a long weekend etc and have a older litter you need big water bottles and some gravity feeder or something. I'm still working out how to handle that.

Of course you have to be willing to kill them, and they are pretty damn cute. Two females will probably give you all the rabbit you want to eat. 3-4 females and you could trade somebody for duck, eggs, honey, etc. I'm trying to work a trade of the stuff I raise with a small commercial fish distributor I know for salmon, halibut, cod, etc.

Two females on a conservative breeding schedule will give you one 2.5-3 pound rabbit a week to eat. Call that half meat for easy math and thats a dinner for two, plus a little leftovers maybe.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm trying to get all the extra water off them first. I don't have any science behind me, but i think more water on the meat equals more freezer burn. I just left them out for a couple hours and rotated them and shook them off, patted them down, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, that makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#43]
What method do you use to dispatch the rabbits?  Can't tell if you are using a 22 or the dislocated neck via broom handle method.  Do you mind sharing the reasons you chose that particular method?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#44]
I've just been shooting them in the head.  But I'm thinking next time I'll just use blunt force trauma w the back of the hatchet head.

Link Posted: 2/13/2014 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#45]
my thoughts on shooting them is they don't struggle at all from being picked up etc. it worked with the first batch, this group had a few that flopped all over etc after being shot.

Next time I plan to just use blunt force trauma with the back of the axe head while holding them from the back legs, then putting them right on the chopping block and taking their heads off. We will see if thats cleaner.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#46]
You might look into the "hooks" for dispatching. It is fool proof and immediate. Less chance to screw up, compared to a whack to the head.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't keep, or harvest rabbits, so I cannot speak on a first hand basis, but I've looked into something along the lines of a 'rabbit wringer' (vid posted below). It seems a quick and no nonsense way to dispatch of rabbits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNxo7GFEXWw#t=186
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#48]
I've seen that. Looks pretty clean. More money than I want to spend for my little bitty operation. Prior to this I'd only killed maybe six rabbits. I just karate chopped them and knocked them out.

I figure next time I'll just hold them upside down and smack them with the back of the hatchet. If I don't like that technique I'll go back to the head shot. It's pretty easy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Doing it again I'd get some stacking wire cages. I'm going to get some as soon as I find some on CL for cheap, or I'll try my hand at making them.

I'll keep the tractor and put the young in it after they ween. But honestly with feeding them fodder, they really don't need to eat the grass.  

If you want to go away for a long weekend etc and have a older litter you need big water bottles and some gravity feeder or something. I'm still working out how to handle that.

Of course you have to be willing to kill them, and they are pretty damn cute. Two females will probably give you all the rabbit you want to eat. 3-4 females and you could trade somebody for duck, eggs, honey, etc. I'm trying to work a trade of the stuff I raise with a small commercial fish distributor I know for salmon, halibut, cod, etc.

Two females on a conservative breeding schedule will give you one 2.5-3 pound rabbit a week to eat. Call that half meat for easy math and thats a dinner for two, plus a little leftovers maybe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

by the way awesome pics.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Interesting thread. Thank you for all the pictures.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top