Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#1]
looking good man

Have you thought about putting down this stuff to keep weeds out?

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
looking good man

link

View Quote

Thanks man.
I've been toying with the idea of putting something down. Don't know yet.

On another subject are you still having problems with your neighbor?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks man.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

looking good man

link

Thanks man.

I haven't heard anything from them in a while.

I figure it's about time for them to hassle me for money.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
looking good man

link

Thanks man.

I sent a small box to you and USPS says it was delivered 4/16/15 at 11:45 am.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I sent a small box to you and USPS says it was delivered 4/16/15 at 11:45 am.

View Quote
Let me check with the good neighbor, he may have it.

I'll brb.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think the biggest problem is we've not had any sun in about a week. Not sure how some of the young plants are going to react when we finaly get some?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that some kind of hydroponic system that I'm not aware of  

It has been difficult trying to get started this spring in VA.  Just about the time the soil is ready to be worked another inch of rain falls.  We're heading out now to see what we can do this morning before that same front that you just had catches up with us around noon.

Your beds look great, congrats!

I think the biggest problem is we've not had any sun in about a week. Not sure how some of the young plants are going to react when we finaly get some?

I can never tell.  We purchased 18 chard plants ( Bonnie, straight off  the truck) in the middle of March.  I planted nine the same day and they looked like Dr. death paid a visit for about two weeks.  Hardened off the remainder properly and planted those the first of April.  Today, you couldn't tell the difference between planting times.  Sometimes a man gets lucky.

Good luck with yours!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I can never tell.  We purchased 18 chard plants ( Bonnie, straight off  the truck) in the middle of March.  I planted nine the same day and they looked like Dr. death paid a visit for about two weeks.  Hardened off the remainder properly and planted those the first of April.  Today, you couldn't tell the difference between planting times.  Sometimes a man gets lucky.

Good luck with yours!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that some kind of hydroponic system that I'm not aware of  

It has been difficult trying to get started this spring in VA.  Just about the time the soil is ready to be worked another inch of rain falls.  We're heading out now to see what we can do this morning before that same front that you just had catches up with us around noon.

Your beds look great, congrats!

Good luck with yours!

That's the truth.

And the same to you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
That carrot jam stuff is AMAZING.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks.

The recipe is on page 26.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know. You're welcome.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I know. You're welcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know. You're welcome.
My wifey loves it too.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My wifey loves it too.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know. You're welcome.
My wifey loves it too.  

I take it you're going to need us to bring you another jar at the meet & greet?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice thread. Read all 27 something pages.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:36:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice thread. Read all 27 something pages.
View Quote

Thanks. We hope to see our largest yields yet this season if all goes well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know. You're welcome.
My wifey loves it too.  

Heck yea!

We'll bring some of her pear honey.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Heck yea!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know. You're welcome.
My wifey loves it too.  

Heck yea!  

Deal!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Well besides the cool nights that have slowed things down we're coming along.

Got the wife a potting table, the nephew and I reinforced the back and waterproofed it.

The two tomatoes look like crap because I'm still learning this new setup and they got away from me.

They're still producing.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Looking great man! I finally got the top soil delivered and I'm moving the dirt up into the boxes this week.

I'm way behind, but I'll just buy the plants from the farm store instead of grow from seed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looking great man! I finally got the top soil delivered and I'm moving the dirt up into the boxes this week.

I'm way behind, but I'll just buy the plants from the farm store instead of grow from seed.
View Quote

You're not too bad behind if you've had these cool nights like us.
Don't forget to water deeply. Good luck Bro.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Question.

I have 5 4'x'4 beds.

I have half of one already filled with strawberries.

I'm trying to figure out how many of what I can get going to fill them up where they won't step on each other.

For example, I know squash gets HUGE and I don't know if I can get more than one plant in a box.

I'm guessing I can get 4 tomato plants in one.

I'm mainly looking for tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, peas/beans, bell peppers etc.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Question.

I have 5 4'x'4 beds.

I have half of one already filled with strawberries.

I'm trying to figure out how many of what I can get going to fill them up where they won't step on each other.

For example, I know squash gets HUGE and I don't know if I can get more than one plant in a box.

I'm guessing I can get 4 tomato plants in one.

I'm mainly looking for tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, peas/beans, bell peppers etc.

View Quote

You can plant four tomato or pepper plants per box. I would plant the cucumbers in the back of a box with a trellis and two squash plants in front of them.

Are the peas/beans bush or climbing?

What crops do you want/need the most of?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You can plant four tomato or pepper plants per box. I would plant the cucumbers in the back of a box with a trellis and two squash plants in front of them.

View Quote

I don't have the plans yet, so I can buy whatever I want.

I need tomatoes, squash and cucumbers the most.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I use 4'x4' beds.  You can put a couple zukes or summer squash (bush) plants in one bed, but they will spill over the sides.  If you want to avoid the spilling affect, just put one in the center.  Of course, if you are starting from seed, plant several seeds and then thin to the strongest plant once they get going.  I don't mind them spilling over. I think summer squash is what I usually get, the yellow ones.

In the past I have planted my peppers one per square foot for a total of 16 per bed.  That works pretty well for small fruiting peppers like jalapenos.  This year I am doing 9 per bed for the bigger peppers like the bells and green chilies. I prefer bell peppers, so I'll try maybe 6 in a half bed or 9 in a whole one.

Tomatoes can go 4 per bed if they are a bush variety.  If you plant indeterminates and you trellis them vertically you can get more in a bed. That's about what I expected.

Stuff like watermelons, cantelope, and vining squashes will spill out of the bed regardless of what you do.  You can grow some of those vertically but you need to stay on top of training them or they will end up everywhere.  I would pick a bed where you don't need to be able to walk around it regularly, perhaps one on the end, and plant 4 of the large vining plants equally spaced in it.  I think I'll just skip that stuff.

Cucumbers are a little easier to keep on the trellis and can be planted two per square foot as long as they are grown vertically. Do you have a pic of this? I'll do it!

Beans can be planted pretty close, as in 4"-6" apart.  Just make sure to keep the water up to them and if you plant pole beans, they will need a support to climb.  The same goes for peas.  The peas will climb but not as aggressively as pole beans.

Just keep in mind the more stuff you put in a bed, the more water it will need.  Being in AL, that probably won't be a problem for you, but it's still worth noting.

Edit to add:  Dimmu's suggestion of putting the cukes in the back of the bed on a trellis and a zuke/summer squash or two up front is a good one and it's how I do it.  You can also substitute the zukes or summer squash for melons or winter squash, just keep in mind the above spacing recommendations.  Larger melons or squash will need to be supported when grown vertically.  As mentioned above though, if you are diligent in training them up, you're going to have a tangled mess on your hands.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I new about the squash I could've sent the seeds. I use Burpee Pic-n-Pic hybrid. You would've had squash for days.

Well one box for tomatoes, one for peppers and one for cucumbers and squash. That leaves two for what you might see while buying plants or doubling up on some plants.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use 4'x4' beds.  You can put a couple zukes or summer squash (bush) plants in one bed, but they will spill over the sides.  If you want to avoid the spilling affect, just put one in the center.  Of course, if you are starting from seed, plant several seeds and then thin to the strongest plant once they get going.  I don't mind them spilling over. I think summer squash is what I usually get, the yellow ones.

In the past I have planted my peppers one per square foot for a total of 16 per bed.  That works pretty well for small fruiting peppers like jalapenos.  This year I am doing 9 per bed for the bigger peppers like the bells and green chilies. I prefer bell peppers, so I'll try maybe 6 in a half bed or 9 in a whole one.

Tomatoes can go 4 per bed if they are a bush variety.  If you plant indeterminates and you trellis them vertically you can get more in a bed. That's about what I expected.

Stuff like watermelons, cantelope, and vining squashes will spill out of the bed regardless of what you do.  You can grow some of those vertically but you need to stay on top of training them or they will end up everywhere.  I would pick a bed where you don't need to be able to walk around it regularly, perhaps one on the end, and plant 4 of the large vining plants equally spaced in it.  I think I'll just skip that stuff.

Cucumbers are a little easier to keep on the trellis and can be planted two per square foot as long as they are grown vertically. Do you have a pic of this? I'll do it!

Beans can be planted pretty close, as in 4"-6" apart.  Just make sure to keep the water up to them and if you plant pole beans, they will need a support to climb.  The same goes for peas.  The peas will climb but not as aggressively as pole beans.

Just keep in mind the more stuff you put in a bed, the more water it will need.  Being in AL, that probably won't be a problem for you, but it's still worth noting.

Edit to add:  Dimmu's suggestion of putting the cukes in the back of the bed on a trellis and a zuke/summer squash or two up front is a good one and it's how I do it.  You can also substitute the zukes or summer squash for melons or winter squash, just keep in mind the above spacing recommendations.  Larger melons or squash will need to be supported when grown vertically.  As mentioned above though, if you are diligent in training them up, you're going to have a tangled mess on your hands.

Same thing I do with cucumbers.

I planted the same way last year just without the added fencing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I wish I new about the squash I could've sent the seeds. I use Burpee Pic-n-Pic hybrid. You would've had squash for days.

Well one box for tomatoes, one for peppers and one for cucumbers and squash. That leaves two for what you might see while buying plants or doubling up on some plants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, I assumed the seeds were a no go since I'm starting so late in the season.

I figured I'd have buy plants.

Yep, that leaves me enough room to put some pole beans behind the strawberries.

Also, I recall having some cross-over issues before with squash and cucumbers, where the cucumbers turned yellow and the squash green.

Is that something to be concerned with?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee439/DimmuDrotinn/DSCN1250_zpsiei1slsr.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee439/DimmuDrotinn/DSCN1250_zpsiei1slsr.jpg

Awesome. Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Also, I recall having some cross-over issues before with squash and cucumbers, where the cucumbers turned yellow and the squash green.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know I guess we'll find out this year. I planted my squash at the end of the trellises.

ETA: I just found this.http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/squash/can-squash-cross-pollinate-with-cucumbers.htm
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Don't know I guess we'll find out this year. I planted my squash at the end of the trellises.

ETA: I just found this.http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/squash/can-squash-cross-pollinate-with-cucumbers.htm
View Quote
That's strange. I know for a fact that my squash and cucumbers were adopting each other's colors, but I guess it was some unrelated phenomenon.

I'll try it again this year. Who knows!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If your cukes were a green variety and they turned yellow it was because you left them on the plant for too long.  The squash was probably green zucchini.  Cross pollination won't affect this years fruit, just the seeds.

I didn't grow cukes last year and didn't take pics of the ones I grew vertically in 2013.  I have some in the ground now but I got a late start this year and the seeds are just starting to pop up.  I'll try to remember to grab a pic and post it once they are up and growing and the trellis is in place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your cukes were a green variety and they turned yellow it was because you left them on the plant for too long.  The squash was probably green zucchini.  Cross pollination won't affect this years fruit, just the seeds.

I didn't grow cukes last year and didn't take pics of the ones I grew vertically in 2013.  I have some in the ground now but I got a late start this year and the seeds are just starting to pop up.  I'll try to remember to grab a pic and post it once they are up and growing and the trellis is in place.

I've got pics of last summers on page 20.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

Awesome! I figured maybe it was something else. Sure did freak me out though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you planted them just saying.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Well we finally put up the rain collector.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#37]
bad ass
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
bad ass
View Quote

If it doesn't leak we're good.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

bad ass

You should flip it upside down.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice!

I saw a guy selling those on craigslist, had a ton of them. Might need to look Him up.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Very nice setup!  How many gallons does that hold?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Where did you get the fittings for the IBC tote valve? I can't find anything to fit my valve
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Very nice setup!  How many gallons does that hold?
View Quote

Thanks.
Over 250.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:23:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Where did you get the fittings for the IBC tote valve? I can't find anything to fit my valve
View Quote

Used a 2"x 2" rubber coupler, 2"x 3/4" pvc adapter and a 3/4" brass fitting that fits garden hoses.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Used a 2"x 2" rubber coupler, 2"x 3/4" pvc adapter and a 3/4" brass fitting that fits garden hoses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one of those totes, if you wouldn't mind would you post an up close pic of your adapter you made?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have one of those totes, if you wouldn't mind would you post an up close pic of your adapter you made?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go.

This is the list of parts. The last one is sold at Lowes but didn't show up on the site.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_23473-34146-RC50_1z10x33__?productId=1065521&pl=1
http://www.lowes.com/pd_645840-72906-HU22-12-12X+P_1z10xvy__?productId=50380962&pl=1
http://www.lowes.com/pd_228724-306-09QCGF_1z0wg6y__?productId=3103555&pl=1
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/36999779?src=pla&cid=PLA-Google-PLA+-+Test&CS_003=7867724&CS_010=36999779
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks dimmu!

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks dimmu!

View Quote

No problem.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Ok. I knew I learned how to put an adapter on that tank from someone on this site.
bigrob83 deserves the credit.
He told me how to do it on page 13.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#50]
with that much gutter that tote should fill in a afternoon
now go find 4 or 5 more to tie into it
you have anything on the end of that pipe to filter junk out of the gutter water?
my gutters pick up a incredible amount of junk
you know all those single socks your dryer spits out? I zip tie them on the end for filters
ghetto... but works perfect
ETA: should have read my reply from back then
same ghetto sock recommendation

one thing I have heard about but not experienced is that the totes plastic degrades in the sun
mine are in the shade of a big tree and I haven't seen this happen. Might consider some cover for it  
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top