Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2011 8:25:47 AM EDT
This stuff has been taking over lawns in my neighborhood.  It turns yellow in the Pennsylvania winter and green in the summer.  It sends out long tendralls that can burrow through the asphault driveway.

Can you help me identify it and suggest a way of destroying it?

Link Posted: 4/14/2011 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like bermuda to me.  Does it grow that far north?

Enjoy your new lawn
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to dig the crap up and throw the dirt away.  I'll replace it with new soil and seed it again.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm going to dig the crap up and throw the dirt away.  I'll replace it with new soil and seed it again.

It burrows deep.  GL!
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#4]
TRIFFIDS!

The only way to get rid of them is call in 'nape!
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't ID it.

Did you try Roundup?

It will kill the grass too, but if you spot spray, eventually it will fill in with regular lawn grass. I would do that before I started digging up the yard.

If I get dallis grass in my bermuda, that's what I do. Makes a complete dead spot, but it fills in by itself in a just a couple of months. It's a bitch to get rid of otherwise. My neighbor's yard is full of it, so far, I've been able to hold the line, but I have to use pre-emergents  too and keep an eye on it weekly.

I got rid of some bamboo with alternating use of Roundup, 2-4D, and MSMA. MSMA has been removed from the market, so if you find some, use it sparingly.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#6]
It's Bermuda grass. Digging it up will almost certainly be a waste of time unless you are sure you get every last sprig there is.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't waste your time and money digging it up.  That is Bermuda grass and it isn't hard to kill.  Get some Glyphosate(Roundup).  Wait til it gets warm and spray it down really good.  The Roundup will translocate down the plant and kill the root.  Pulling it leaves bits of root, and it just comes back.  Kill it and its done.  You may miss some bits, but you can hit it again throughout the summer as needed, and it can be used effectively up until two weeks before your first frost.

you will kill the rest of your grass too, but you can always reseed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#8]
It looks like Bermuda grass to me (a southern grass). There is only one chemical that will kill it and leave your fescue alone, and that is called Ornamec. It works, but is expensive, and you have to follow the directions to a "T". We make a hobby out of trying to rid our fescue grass of it here. Once it gets going, it is tough to kill. You have to attack it when it is most vulnerable, early spring when it first wakes up, or late fall just before it goes to sleep. Plus, if your neighbors won't kill theirs, you will eventually be toast, too.

ETA: Your fescue will be injured after the application (yellow some), but with good water it will bounce back, assuming it is not 90 degrees out when you do the app.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wait til it gets warm

This.  The "yellow" phase is dormant.  Spray it while it is activley growing, in the "green" phase.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#10]
There's a saying around here that if you want rid of Bermuda grass, "move away and leave it."

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup, the other posters got it right.

That's Bermuda grass.

Worst fucking crap on the planet to try to get rid of.  One app of glyphosphate will not kill it in my experience.  It will take several.

If you dig it, and there is one very small bit of root left anywhere, it will all grow back from that.

It has its uses, but I hate it.

And if it's anywhere in your neighborhood, you will never be completely rid of it.  The runners punch through thick black plastic.  I've seen bermudagrass runners from the front of my house, all the way through the crawl space (part of our crawl space is not closed in because we're still working on restorations) 25 feet to the back of the house, where it exited the crawl space and began to root in the foundation plantings back there.

It's like Kudzu.

If it's around, you just have to plan on a constant fight.  

I hate that grass.

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]
How yall feel about Bermuda grass, is how we feel about any grass but Bermuda down here...
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How yall feel about Bermuda grass, is how we feel about any grass but Bermuda down here...

I thought thats what everybody wanted in their yard.....
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Bermuda is nice...... They even sell the seeds in 50lb bags...... lol

Kill it with FIRE!
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought thats what everybody wanted in their yard.....

It is what I have in mine, I bought it as sod, and put it in...
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#16]
What's everybody's beef with Bermuda grass?

The stuff is drought resistant, builds good turf, is easy to maintain. Hell, I put the stuff in on purpose!
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#17]
1) It's really ugly mixed with cool season grasses because it makes the lawn look like part of it is dying as soon as the temperature drops below 40 degrees.

2) It turns brown in the winter and looks dead.  In cooler areas we're used to grass which stays somewhat green.

3) It's so invasive it's very difficult to maintain any kind of landscape plantings because Bermuda overtakes everything.  You HAVE To edge regularly with Bermudagrass.  Not so with many of the cool season grasses.

4) I think it looks coarse and is ugly.  

All that said, it IS tough, and is good for certain purposes where it needs to fill in quickly and take a beating.   I think it's what you're used to, partly.

People who like bluegrass and fescues tend to hate Bermuda.

Link Posted: 4/17/2011 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Just can't beat a thick lush cool lawn of fescue. When you lay down in a lawn of bermuda you want to get up right away. Rough.
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Yup.  I never did have the desire to roll down a bermuda grass hill.

That said, it has its uses, and in some areas, it's the only grass that can take the drought.   Fescue also can't take the beating that bermuda can.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top