BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 147
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cuttingedge:
Has anybody heard from DUX? I have not seen him post in a while. I purchased a few of the Mann Lake Mini Mating Nucs to try this season  for getting some mated queens. Has anyone used them? They seem to have some advantages but I will report back in a month or two with how I like them.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294057/image-224337.jpg
View Quote
I'm still here.  Give me about 2 more weeks to get all of my orders filled then I will take a break and come back in .
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Had another swarm today from the same hive. That makes 4 from one even after I split it in half. I put them in a box but must not have gotten the queen because I came back like 30 minutes later and they were gone. Oh well, can't catch them all and at this point I'm not sure I want those genetics. I will be requeening that colony in a week when I harvest some more mated queens.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DUX4LIFE:

I'm still here.  Give me about 2 more weeks to get all of my orders filled then I will take a break and come back in .
View Quote
Good to see that you are still around.
I would assume that like me, you are swamped.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Good to see that you are still around.
I would assume that like me, you are swamped.
View Quote
Getting up at 5am and getting in at 8pm on my days off isn't going to cut it.  Got about 20 more nucs/hive combos going out by next weekend.  Working 12 hour days at the regular job and this on my days off is just killing me.
    I am set to retire next July and would like to be at 100 full hives and 100 nuc boxes.  I think I could sell between 100-200 nucs per year with that equipment.  I still need the knowledge of queen rearing to complete what I need for the business.  One of my customers today said he would put a word in with the bee club he belongs to.  They purchased 100 nucs again this year for the members.  I also thought about the local farm and ranch store as they are selling packages for $175ish.  This year I had 52 commitments for nucs and turned down 10-15 buyers.
    I see a good business opportunity here for a retired person.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DUX4LIFE:

Getting up at 5am and getting in at 8pm on my days off isn't going to cut it.  Got about 20 more nucs/hive combos going out by next weekend.  Working 12 hour days at the regular job and this on my days off is just killing me.
    I am set to retire next July and would like to be at 100 full hives and 100 nuc boxes.  I think I could sell between 100-200 nucs per year with that equipment.  I still need the knowledge of queen rearing to complete what I need for the business.  One of my customers today said he would put a word in with the bee club he belongs to.  They purchased 100 nucs again this year for the members.  I also thought about the local farm and ranch store as they are selling packages for $175ish.  This year I had 52 commitments for nucs and turned down 10-15 buyers.
    I see a good business opportunity here for a retired person.
View Quote
Congrats on your future retirement. I have sold a bunch of Nucs as well as Mated Queens already this season. Unfortunately the weather has been cold/ wet and not good for rearing queens. We had a late start and many of them have not been going out on mating flights due to the lower temps and rain. Things are looking up this week.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Dammit. Trap outs suck!

I've been farting around with this hive for a week, even putting the cone on this thing in the rain so I could get it started. Watching these little bastards all week collect on the wall, they won't go in the nuc. I didn't have a frame with eggs, but I had a partial frame with sugar water and pollen. I put that in there, there was some interest finally. I went to check on them yesterday, they chewed through 4 layers of FIBERGLASS air filter material that I was using as a gasket on the toilet flange I was using on the base of my cone. Now they're going in and out of the screw hole of the flange.

So I'm standing there just looking at them yesterday trying to figure out how to plug this hole. POW! Little MF'er popped me on the underside of my jaw in my goatee. SOB!!! Really?

I left them alone yesterday. It's raining again today. I really don't want to rebuilt this whole cone thing. Will they eat through metal AC duct tape? Not the gray tape, the silver metal tape. I didn't think they'd eat through real fiberglass, but they did.

An honestly, I'm getting real close to drilling a hole in the wall, pumping in as much burlap smoke and tea tree oil as I can and just see what happens. Yeah, I'm pissed now. Spent a lot of time jacking with this one. If I was doing this for someone else and charging money, $500 would not be enough.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Try beeing sneaky. I wonder if this would work?

Lures contain a scent (pheromone) which insects use to communicate. This lure duplicates the scent that scout bees release when they find a good home for their swarm. There is enough scent to last about three months and the special plastic container releases just the right amount. This lure formula is made up of 3 components...proven most effective by USDA research. Lure actually measures 2 3/4" long. Sold individually.
View Quote
Pheromone lure.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Got varrora?

I tested my hives and one (the new one) looked clean. The other, older hive looked like 5 mites out of 100 (1/4 cup) bees. My beekmaster says that it's time to treat them.

What's the current methodology of treatment? It gets upwards of 100 F almost every day now; many people say that it's too hot to treat with normal methods.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I used the sugar shake test.
Sugar Shake to Check for Varroa Mites in Honey Bees

One of the local keepers said to put some kind of fiberboard on the bottom of the hive, smeared with Crisco, to catch the bugs.
Why not just put some wax paper with crisco, or aluminum foil?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Well...I figure the bees will chew up the wax paper and remove it.

I have not heard of using aluminum foil, but..

I'm guessing the bees could chew it up, too, and I have no idea whether doing so might harm them.

Interesting question.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well...I figure the bees will chew up the wax paper and remove it.

I'm guessing the bees could chew it up, too, and I have no idea whether doing so might harm them.

Interesting question.
The wax paper will only be there overnight. The paper is to catch the mites; the Crisco is to bind them to the paper.

It might make them show up on radar...
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Caught another swarm.

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Just sharing a little trick I have learned to use when housing a swarm.
Use a Queen Excluder between the bottom board and the hive body.
Essentially making it into a Queen "Includer" trapping her in the hive so that the swarm can't leave.

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:19:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#17]
Originally Posted By scorpionmain:
Just sharing a little trick I have learned to use when housing a swarm.
Use a Queen Excluder between the bottom board and the hive body.
Essentially making it into a Queen "Includer" trapping her in the hive so that the swarm can't leave.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19113656_10213360481475874_7296177814051133913_n.jpg?oh=4c64b334da2ca72bbeb8ea9226287b76&oe=59CE0FA1
View Quote
That is a good tip. A friend of mine that has caught many, many swarms over the last few years told me about this. He had a few leave even after putting a frame of brood in to "lock them in". He started cutting up queen excluders and closed off the entrances with a piece of queen excluder to keep them in. Don't forget that Virgins can sometimes fit through an excluder.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:55:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#19]
Ah yes...the girlish figure can take you a lot of places you can't go once you lose it.
View All Quotes

That is a good tip. A friend of mine that has caught many, many swarms over the last few years told me about this. He had a few leave even after putting a frame of brood in to "lock them in". He started cutting up queen excluders and closed off the entrances with a piece of queen excluder to keep them in. Don't forget that Virgins can sometimes fit through an excluder.
Ah yes...the girlish figure can take you a lot of places you can't go once you lose it.
lol!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Just learned something.
Y'all remember my bee watering station? Well, while it's OK to let the water get nasty, i.e. lots of mud and pond scum (it's like a natural water source to them), it is NOT okay to let it stay too long in that condition. Evaporation leaves a lot of lime and salt and minerals behind.
HobbitWife said that the bees had stopped going to the watering station. They were getting water from her garden after she'd sprayed the crops. So I emptied the station, cleaned off the rocks and got rid of the mud, and replaced the old water with new. The girls are happy again!
BTW my watering station got good reviews at the annual beekeeper's meeting put on my beekeeping mentor. I made several copies of the article I wrote about it and people liked it!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:57:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#22]
What do you think was the turning point between just enough skank and too much?
View Quote
It wasn't 'skank.' It was alkali. Here in New Mexico we have VERY hard water. So any water that evaporates leaves its scale behind. And THAT must have tasted like true shit to them!

Until they rebelled I had mud (from airborne sand), moss, in fact all the stuff you find in a nice little swamp in their water; it seems that the final straw was the alkali.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:16:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Now here's a strange situation: I was checking my older hive a few days ago. The girls were humming along, all of them minding their own business, but somewhere in the hive, someone was singing a strong bass note.

Anyone else experience this?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:33:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BustinCaps] [#24]
Alright, my new packages want to swarm.  Here is my scenario:

2 packages installed 4-22-17.  Fed/patties, etc.  Stopped feeding 2 weeks ago.  

Each hive has 2 deep supers, and two medium supers.  Medium supers were added last week.  Each hive has filled 2+ frames of a medium super with capped honey in a week.  Bees all over the place.  It felt like the hives were bursting at the seems when I opened them.

I already suspected what I would find, just on a gut instinct.

Swarm cells.  Everywhere.  Capped, uncapped, cups.  One hive had a huge almost capped supersedure cell as well, and another big cup next to it.

I found eggs and original marked queens in both hives.  So they haven't swarmed...yet.  Not sure why the one hive felt the need to supersede a queen, either.  All brood looked great, both deeps were PACKED with honey and brood.  Maybe too packed.

My thoughts are that I need to go get some more hive bodies together and split these.  OR since both queens are still present, could I kill all the swarm/supercedure cells and toss a queen excluder on the bottom of the hive?

I really don't want to go swarm chasing right now, since I am in the middle of moving.  

ETA: Bees have been doing a bit of bearding the last week with temps over 90.  Is bearding ever an external indicator of swarming?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By BustinCaps:

Each hive has 2 deep supers, and two medium supers.  Medium supers were added last week.  Each hive has filled 2+ frames of a medium super with capped honey in a week.  Bees all over the place.  It felt like the hives were bursting at the seems when I opened them.

Swarm cells.  Everywhere.  Capped, uncapped, cups.  One hive had a huge almost capped supersedure cell as well, and another big cup next to it.

I found eggs and original marked queens in both hives.  So they haven't swarmed...yet.  Not sure why the one hive felt the need to supersede a queen, either.  All brood looked great, both deeps were PACKED with honey and brood.  Maybe too packed.

My thoughts are that I need to go get some more hive bodies together and split these.  OR since both queens are still present, could I kill all the swarm/supercedure cells and toss a queen excluder on the bottom of the hive?

I really don't want to go swarm chasing right now, since I am in the middle of moving.  

ETA: Bees have been doing a bit of bearding the last week with temps over 90.  Is bearding ever an external indicator of swarming?
View Quote
You could absolutely split them. Your other options are to go through and remove ALL of the queen cells and cups. At that point they may still swarm. Sometimes during a strong nectar flow, they will abandon swarming. Or you could let them swarm. The brood break is good for Varroa Mite Control.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, if those were mine I would split.   But I think that depends on what you want from your bees and your temperament with regard to them taking off.  If you have two great queens, my inclination would be to try to save those queens and split with queen excluders,  but I hadn't thought of letting them swarm, per CE's idea.  That's a good thought, but it sounds like you'd kind of like to keep them.

And now you know that you have to give them space 'before" they need it. Really good example of that.

Of course, that is still no guarantee.

Do you have the boxes and the setups to get them split?

And yes...bearding can be an indication of them getting ready to swarm.  But most of the time they're just hot.
View All Quotes

Yeah, if those were mine I would split.   But I think that depends on what you want from your bees and your temperament with regard to them taking off.  If you have two great queens, my inclination would be to try to save those queens and split with queen excluders,  but I hadn't thought of letting them swarm, per CE's idea.  That's a good thought, but it sounds like you'd kind of like to keep them.

And now you know that you have to give them space 'before" they need it. Really good example of that.

Of course, that is still no guarantee.

Do you have the boxes and the setups to get them split?

And yes...bearding can be an indication of them getting ready to swarm.  But most of the time they're just hot.
My wife just arrived with two new hive setups. Tractor supply grade, but best bet on a Sunday. I'll split tomorrow and hope the winds and impending storms keep them from swarming.

I am going to get new queens to minimize issues as this is my first time.  Probably not the worst time of year for this situation, especially for varroa.  

I wish it would have waited until I didn't have a ton of people helping me move, but such is life!

How common is it for new packages to fill out a hive like this and swarm 60 days after being installed on plastic foundation?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:47:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#28]

My wife just arrived with two new hive setups. Tractor supply grade, but best bet on a Sunday. I'll split tomorrow and hope the winds and impending storms keep them from swarming.

I am going to get new queens to minimize issues as this is my first time.  Probably not the worst time of year for this situation, especially for varroa.  

I wish it would have waited until I didn't have a ton of people helping me move, but such is life!

How common is it for new packages to fill out a hive like this and swarm 60 days after being installed on plastic foundation?
View Quote
It happens. Especially if you feed them a lot and there is a good nectar flow. First year hives are a tricky balance of feeding to help them build up but not too much to make them honey bound. Splitting does not always stop them from swarming. I had a swarm today from a Nuc that I made on June 4. They were left to make their own queen so she should not even be mated yet. She certainly should not have swarmed today. BTW: These are my new Bear Resistant bees that I have been breeding. They landed right on my solar fence charger
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#29]

It happens. Especially if you feed them a lot and there is a good nectar flow. First year hives are a tricky balance of feeding to help them build up but not too much to make them honey bound. Splitting does not always stop them from swarming. I had a swarm today from a Nuc that I made on June 4. They were left to make their own queen so she should not even be mated yet. She certainly should not have swarmed today. BTW: These are my new Bear Resistant bees that I have been breeding. They landed right on my solar fence charger
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294057/image-233674.jpg
View Quote
I use that same charger.  It's a power house.  I power my bee fence, pig pen, and one of my chicken fences off it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Wow!

Solar has come a long way apparently.
View Quote
Mine's a 12.  The one in the picture MAY be a 6.  I can't really tell.  The Parmak 12 is a powerhouse right out of the box.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Martlet:

Mine's a 12.  The one in the picture MAY be a 6.  I can't really tell.  The Parmak 12 is a powerhouse right out of the box.
View Quote
Mine's a 12 too. Expensive but very highly rated.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes

That's awesome! lol

Any thoughts on successful, no after the fact swarm splitting? Assume I intend to order as many queens as necessary tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:41:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#34]

That's awesome! lol

Any thoughts on successful, no after the fact swarm splitting? Assume I intend to order as many queens as necessary tomorrow.
View Quote
It can be done. It depends on what your equipment inventory is like. You also are going to need drawn comb as well as frames of food. I can make small splits up here until around the second week of July if I'm willing to over winter Nucs. Last year I made 6 splits with 2 frames of brood with attending nurse bees one frame of food and one of partially drawn comb. I introduced mated queens the next day. They built up to two stories (4 over 4 frames and 5 over 5 frames). They all were given approximately 2 gallons of syrup in late August/ early September. I placed candy on them for emergency food in November and wrapped them up with Insulation. The all made it through Winter and were very strong this spring. I have made multiple splits off of them this season.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#35]

It can be done. It depends on what your equipment inventory is like. You also are going to need drawn comb as well as frames of food. I can make small splits up here until around the second week of July if I'm willing to over winter Nucs. Last year I made 6 splits with 2 frames of brood with attending nurse bees one frame of food and one of partially drawn comb. I introduced mated queens the next day. They built up to two stories (4 over 4 frames and 5 over 5 frames). They all were given approximately 2 gallons of syrup in late August/ early September. I placed candy on them for emergency food in November and wrapped them up with Insulation. The all made it through Winter and were very strong this spring. I have made multiple splits off of them this season.
View Quote
Cool. I have 2 complete new hive setups.  Current hives are very full of honey, all 20 brood frames in each are drawn and full of brood and/or honey. Very little pollen overall.

2-4 frames worth of honey in honey supers on each hive.  I have feeders and pollen patties.

Brood chambers and supers on each hive are packed with bees.  Should I go in half on each hive? Or just a few frames?  I figure if I plan it out right, I could  end up with four full 10 frame hives, new blank foundation 10 frame on top of each, and a frame or so of honey in a honey super just to get them going.  

Maybe feed 1:1 and toss a patty in to see what happens?  I'll have 10 acres of Goldenrod blooming in front of them plate August and we clearly have a decent flow on right now.

My disadvantage is I have no empty, drawn frames for deep supers. Except for any that might have just hatched out.  I have two drone comb frames I was going to start trapping mites with, but my IPM has clearly taken a different direction this year. if I have no empty drawn comb, will the splits still be likely to swarm since it takes effort to have space to lay?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:19:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#36]

Cool. I have 2 complete new hive setups.  Current hives are very full of honey, all 20 brood frames in each are drawn and full of brood and/or honey. Very little pollen overall.

2-4 frames worth of honey in honey supers on each hive.  I have feeders and pollen patties.

Brood chambers and supers on each hive are packed with bees.  Should I go in half on each hive? Or just a few frames?  I figure if I plan it out right, I could  end up with four full 10 frame hives, new blank foundation 10 frame on top of each, and a frame or so of honey in a honey super just to get them going.  

Maybe feed 1:1 and toss a patty in to see what happens?  I'll have 10 acres of Goldenrod blooming in front of them plate August and we clearly have a decent flow on right now.

My disadvantage is I have no empty, drawn frames for deep supers. Except for any that might have just hatched out.  I have two drone comb frames I was going to start trapping mites with, but my IPM has clearly taken a different direction this year. if I have no empty drawn comb, will the splits still be likely to swarm since it takes effort to have space to lay?
View Quote
You could make two splits off of them. Divide up the brood and food frames evenly along with whatever drawn comb is in there. Place the brood in the middle of each hive and surround with food, drawn comb and foundation. Shake on a few extra frames of bees from the queen right hives because the foragers are going to go back to the parent hives. Insert mated queens in the two queenless hives (Make sure you know that they are Queenless) Check back in approximately a week to make sure that they were accepted.  Very soon after, you would need to add a second level to all of them. You could feed them 1:1 to get them to draw out the foundation in the second box. Follow that with honey supers. Feed them until they draw out a few frames in the first super. With a strong fall flow, you may get some excess honey. There are other ways of managing them but this is a pretty solid method.

Edit: you should not need to be feeding pollen sub this time of year. We are also in a very strong nectar flow right now. I have many hives on the verge of being honey bound from the abundance of nectar coming in.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:57:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#37]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Welp.
I treated my older hive today for Varrora. I used the powdered sugar sprinkle method.

I removed each frame one at a time, sprinkled each with powdered sugar, and hung 8 of them from the frame hanger to give me room to work. I prepared 6 yellow posterboard cutouts, cut to fit the bottom of the hive and smeared with Crisco and put them at the bottom of the hive. (I don't have a screened bottom board.) This catches the mites as they fall off the bees. The color allows me to see them for an accurate count.

Thousands of pointy stingy things flying about me and I only got stung once! (I startled her.)

Tomorrow I get to do it all over, removing the posterboard and counting the mites. And in 2 weeks I get to do it all over again!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Some observations and questions:
Kitties, several pages ago, you observed that you didn't know anything about keeping bees in the high desert. There are a few things I'm observing. One is that we retain cool evening temperatures later than other places. So lately we've had low 60s, and high 50s until dawn. Then the temperature rises quickly. And the 85+ temps maintain until after dusk. My bees don't seem to be very active beyond 80-85 degrees. So they only have a narrow window in the morning to collect pollen, compared to cooler climates--maybe 2 hours or so!   (We ARE having a heat wave in the Southwest now; I hope that the temps will abate for a few weeks.)

Has anyone ever been stung by the queen? It seems that she may not be temperamentally inclined to defend the hive.

Also: Do your bees behave differently with strangers? I keep hearing that bees recognize their keeper and are noticeably less likely to get aggressive with that person.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:43:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#41]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#42]
And another one. This one came out of a Nuc that I set-up on May 19th. They were left to make their own queen from a frame of eggs.
Apparently, they outgrow the Nuc box the day the new queen starts laying

Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:34:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BustinCaps] [#43]
I have no pictures because my hands were full, but I now have four hives!  The last split tried swarming/absconding while I was installing it. Bees started boiling up from the frames like every video I've ever seen of swarming.

I popped the covers on in time to hold them in, and have queen excluders underneath the supers to prevent a full hive bailout.  So I'll see how that works.  

I found both marked queens. They were skinny!  The energy in both hives was very high and you could tell they planned to go soon!

The original hives are now queen less. I plan to re queen.  Should I destroy all emergency/swarm cells when I requeen? Or will the bees do that for me?

This pushed me into advanced beekeeping topics a little faster than I anticipated! lol

Pretty neat adventure, overall. Thanks for the earlier advice!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#44]
My new queens have been added in cages. Lots of emergency cells appeared, obviously.  Is my thinking correct that the caged queens will eliminate the queens being raised once they escape the cage?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#45]
My new queens have been added in cages. Lots of emergency cells appeared, obviously.  Is my thinking correct that the caged queens will eliminate the queens being raised once they escape the cage?
View Quote
Did you go through the hives and remove ALL queen cups and cells before inserting the mated queens? I generally don't do it until I have the mated queens at my location because things happen that are beyond our control. Check on the queens in a week to make sure that they were accepted and laying. What style queen cages did they come in? Was there attendants inside the cages?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Did you go through the hives and remove ALL queen cups and cells before inserting the mated queens? I generally don't do it until I have the mated queens at my location because things happen that are beyond our control. Check on the queens in a week to make sure that they were accepted and laying. What style queen cages did they come in? Was there attendants inside the cages?
View All Quotes
I did not remove the emergency cups. The queens came today and I stuck the cages in at lunch. I plan on checking the queens to see how the bees are treating them tomorrow, and removing cells with more time available.

The cage was wood with a screen on one side. A single plug of candy in a black plastic tube about one inch long. No plug on the other end. 4 attendants per cage.

If I didn't remove the cups yet, did I just murder two queens?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#47]
what method did you use for testing and count? Sticky cards?

I will leave the comments on current methodologies to the guys who are managing a lot of hives.

I hate the conventional treatments, but I used them (Apilife Var I think)at one point.

Be sure to closely follow directions about putting them in and taking them out ON TIME.

Leaving those mite strips in way too long has caused us all a world of hurt by creating resistant populations,
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
Got varrora?

I tested my hives and one (the new one) looked clean. The other, older hive looked like 5 mites out of 100 (1/4 cup) bees. My beekmaster says that it's time to treat them.

What's the current methodology of treatment? It gets upwards of 100 F almost every day now; many people say that it's too hot to treat with normal methods.
what method did you use for testing and count? Sticky cards?

I will leave the comments on current methodologies to the guys who are managing a lot of hives.

I hate the conventional treatments, but I used them (Apilife Var I think)at one point.

Be sure to closely follow directions about putting them in and taking them out ON TIME.

Leaving those mite strips in way too long has caused us all a world of hurt by creating resistant populations,
I took out the cardboard boards today. The Crisco had dried up but there were lots of mites stuck to the board. (There reason for the Crisco is to keep the mites from re-infesting the bees.) Now I wait 2 weeks and do it all over again.... then again in another 2 weeks. This method is suggested for hives that are producing honey, as the other techniques may contaminate the honey. Or something like that.

Now we're facing a major heat wave (the rest of the Southwest is, anyway; we're having a cold snap 'cause the temps only topped 100 F.)

Srsly though: The girls were very quiet today, I think they were busy with cooling the hive. I got more water in the watering station, after cleaning the old nasty alkaline-filled  water. The bees are using it now. And in the early AM they are returning with pollen!

So while I had the top off the hive, I took some precautions. I removed one bar, as it's a top bar hive, and spaced the rest of them about the thickness of a hive tool. I also put a couple of 2x4s under the lid to give some airspace. Seriously, it'll get down to maybe 75 F tonight so I'm not concerned about them getting cold.

With plenty of water to drink and cool the hive with, I think they'll be OK.

BTW on Monday one of the girls stung my left hand near the little finger. I thought I'd got the stinger out but didn't. Yesterday the back of my hand swelled up HUGEly... like James Kirk's hand in the Star Trek reboot! HobbitWife insisted I go to the doc... he said it wasn't abnormal, gave me a shot of prednisone and sent me home.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:32:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cuttingedge] [#48]

I did not remove the emergency cups. The queens came today and I stuck the cages in at lunch. I plan on checking the queens to see how the bees are treating them tomorrow, and removing cells with more time available.

The cage was wood with a screen on one side. A single plug of candy in a black plastic tube about one inch long. No plug on the other end. 4 attendants per cage.

View Quote
As long as the mated queens are released and accepted before the other hatch you are good to go. I wouldn't check on them too soon as the bees can turn on them if you go into the hive too much. Give it like 4-5 days before going back in. Most queens should be released by then. I usually wait a week!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#49]
As long as the mated queens are released and accepted before the other hatch you are good to go. I wouldn't check on them too soon as the bees can turn on them if you go into the hive too much. Give it like 4-5 days before going back in. Most queens should be released by then. I usually wait a week!
View All Quotes

Perfect. I figured since I had (incorrectly) removed all queen cells Sunday, I had plenty of time to accept and release queens before a challenger appeared. My one regret is early destruction of queen cells.  But with eggs present in both hives, my in the moment logic was they could raise new ones on my program if necessary.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 147
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top