Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2017 6:08:43 PM EDT

Had it in a ruck that had been sitting in the back of my truck. Lot of exposure to heat and cold (used to live in Massachusetts). No obvious damage to the package.

Think it's safe to eat? I was going to test a new stove tonight, but don't really want to be sick tomorrow.

EDIT: fixed images.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Its freeze dried so i wouldnt be worried about eating it.

Ive had power bars I've kept in my ruck for several years and just recently ate them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Should be fine. I've had Mountain House that finally went bad (bought them used and had them for at least 15-17 years), you could smell it when I opened it. I dumped the lot and replaced.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
It didn't smell bad, but it didn't taste right either. Very very bland. Didn't taste anything like how beans should taste.

Also very chewy beans.

ETA: Also rather soupy, even after letting the water sit for 20 minutes. Ate about a quarter of it, threw the rest in the fridge, and made hot dogs for dinner. I'm a little gassy, but nothing's tried to make a premature exit yet...yet...

Cook setup (FWIW, I really don't like the GSI stuff...the $5 Walmart Coleman is almost better)

Dry:

After adding water but before soaking in:

I didn't think to take pictures after it soaked.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#4]
All par for the course with older meals, in my experience anyway.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, at least you know it is ok to eat.

In a pinch taste doesn't matter anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top