Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2017 7:45:36 PM EDT
So moving from Eagle Pass Tx to Alpine Tx tomorrow only 80 miles North of Big Bend National Park! That I don't have anything on paper yet but it looks good that I'll be a LEO in the park soon!

So last time I was in place this hot it was Iraq  2003-2005 and I'm sure since then boots and the issued cotton socks are a lot better! So looking for ideas for a good socks and good boots like the 8 inch boots or higher my guess is black.

Any ideas guys? I know the socks are going to cost me some $$ but for both socks and boots need them to be good for the hot weather and hiking as it's part of the job to hike the trails a few times a week. So I need these boots to also be good hiking boots not wanting blisters same goes for socks!

Going to keep a few socks always with me and extra boots in case my main pair get really wet. Thanks for the help and advice.

Also my feet sweat a lot and have heel spur or planters fasciitis. Has not really acted up in over a year and if you have or had it you understand why I don't want it to come back! Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#1]
As someone with planters fasciitis, I feel your pain.

My boots are often soaked by the end of the day with sweat and you can see I'm from Mass not even a hot state. I like the Dry Fit Nike socks, don't do anything for my PF, but I notice a significant difference then just a normal pair of Champions.

Either Dry Fit or these.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I've always worn Under Armor socks, and had really good luck with them. They make some good boot socks, thick pads and thin tops for venting. I would also look at Darn Tough. I'm starting to switch my outdoors socks to them. They're made in the US, and seem to hold up better to serious use.

Darn Tough

Under Armor

As for boots find what's comfy for you. I would definitely recommend to have a couple extra pairs laying around. I have Salomon's and love them, but some people don't have good luck with them. You'll want a good boot that vents, is waterproof (Gortex) and an insulated pair for winter.  Danner, Lowa, Keen, Merrell all make good quality footwear as well. Try several pairs on and find what fits you the best.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's hot & dry I'd forgo waterproofing for one pair and get something with more nylon than leather for breathability. I have a pair of Keen Voyageur hiking shoes that are great for hot weather, they have mesh panels that really breathe well but don't let sand & dirt in. They do make ankle-high models but I think you'll be out of luck looking for good hikers in an 8" height. I'd kill to find the good old GI jungle boot updated with construction but still left unlined like the Vietnam models.

If you have foot problems, definitely get fitted for a good pair of replacement footbeds (Sole, SuperFeet, etc) instead of using the crappy cheap ones that come with boots. An REI or a good shoe store specializing in work boots & shoes is a good place for this.

For socks, I wear merino blend socks from Darn Tough and SmartWool year round for everything. Synthetics like Coolmax may be a good idea as well, I've never tried them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I work outside most of the time. For me wool is much more comfortable than cotton. As ME2112 said merino wool socks are really nice.

And ME2112 Dutch jungle boots are what you are looking for. Canvas and leather with a updated modern sole. Do a google search. The first hit has the best shipping price. Not to sure about Euro sizes but they seem to run wide, or wide in the last.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#5]
These socks are amazing:  https://www.thorlo.com/socks/mlh/425/men
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Different type of hot weather, but I'm sold on bamboo socks.  I've been using Prosoks and simply love them.  Although I actually use their "heavy weight" socks, they aren't that bad, and I consider them more normal 'weight' as I also use the ultra-lightweight merino wool socks.  Just so you can compare, I wear the Belleville Mini Mil (barefoot) boots (Army) and these socks are the most comfortable socks when hot and sweaty.  They wick extremely well and dry as fast as the lightweight merino wool socks.

Also, I routinely wear one pair for a full week (five work days).  I hang them up nightly; no foot funk, nasty odors, and my feet are quite healthy.  I typically do this for my distance backpack training and getting in the habit of toughening up the feet and airing out the socks nightly...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]
For certain situations French Palladium Pampas work fantastic
https://www.amazon.com/Palladium-Originale-Chukka-Butternut-Tarmac/dp/B01IU8IUCS?tag=vglnk-c102-20
These have been in production since 1947 and were French Army issue in Indo-China and elsewhere and are
what the Israeli desert boots were patterned after. While the Israeli boots
are complete junk the French Palladiums are excellent. I bought a pair and thought
they would last a summer and have been wearing them for years. I have been shocked
at how long wearing they are.

I've found them to be comfortable and extremely light with the only shortcomings being
you need to replace the laces with 550 cord and they fade. Great hot weather boots.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Gone to wool socks year round. Doesn't matter whether it's winter or summer, good wool socks are much more comfortable and cushioning for your feet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#9]
REI wool light hikers

No GoreTex for hot weather boots!

do you really even need boots? Low cut hikers, wool socks and gaiters for thorns etc FTW for hot weather IMO.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Id suggest finding non-waterproof boots for summer use. I really like the Asolo hiking boots I bought a few years back, but found them too warm in the summer. So, I bought a pair that is not waterproof and they are much cooler.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#11]
For hot weather use here in AZ, I wear lightweight synthetic ankle socks, copious amounts of foot powder, and some sort of plimsoll- a shoe with a rubber sole and canvas upper. My favorite are the Portuguese M964 bush shoes with a thin Spenco insole in addition to the stock insole, but Palladium Hi Pampas and the like are also excellent. Palladiums are my everyday shoes. If they get wet, they dry quickly. Breathability is unrivaled.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#12]
At night grab a golf ball and roll your foot on it.  If you have PF, it will break up the adhesions and increase blood flow.  You will be feelin good in a few days
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 2:35:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At night grab a golf ball and roll your foot on it.  If you have PF, it will break up the adhesions and increase blood flow.  You will be feelin good in a few days
View Quote
I do this with a tennis ball, or a small wiffle ball sometimes.

I should state, when I mentioned getting Gortex boots, I ment that along with the other boots mentioned. Summer boots, winter boots and waterproof boots.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 2:47:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I recently got some Salomon Quest 4D Forces boots (non GTX as I'm in Phoenix, AZ) in the "burro" color and they are amazingly comfortable. I also love the burro color. It looks great. They are not as tall as you asked for but they offer plenty of ankle support. I wear them daily at work (in an office lol), but I also wear them hiking. I cannot sing their praises enough as they are honestly as comfortable as any comfy pair of shoes I've ever owned. My only complaint is they are a fair bit more expensive than the "civilian" Quest 4D 2 boots. I could not find them at a comparable price to the civilian boots anywhere. They also do not appear to make the civilian boots in a non-GTX version. I was too hesitant to buy GTX boots for hot weather although some people say they are fine. I didn't want to pay $200+ to find out whether they were fine for me or not though.

For the winter I plan to try some waterproofing spray on them with Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellent.

https://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Quest-Forces-Black-9-5/dp/B00TEEUSAU?tag=vglnk-c102-20

No suggestions on socks, I'm actually looking to try some new socks myself as I'm not happy with my longer Puma socks (loved the no show ones).
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 3:14:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Palladium boots
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:39:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For certain situations French Palladium Pampas work fantastic
https://www.amazon.com/Palladium-Originale-Chukka-Butternut-Tarmac/dp/B01IU8IUCS?tag=vglnk-c102-20
These have been in production since 1947 and were French Army issue in Indo-China and elsewhere and are
what the Israeli desert boots were patterned after. While the Israeli boots
are complete junk the French Palladiums are excellent. I bought a pair and thought
they would last a summer and have been wearing them for years. I have been shocked
at how long wearing they are.

I've found them to be comfortable and extremely light with the only shortcomings being
you need to replace the laces with 550 cord and they fade. Great hot weather boots.
View Quote
Production was moved to China in 2011. Are yours French or Chinese? I ask because I got mine today. The quality is much better than I expected. The sole is really nice. Also no sweaty socks.

OP I have PF in my left heel. I've been wearing these boots all day with Doctor shoals insoles. Just a dull ache now.  So far I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Use to do just that when it was really bad also Arnica gel is a life saver!

I don't have the problem as much now only when I wear some types of boot or made to run on a bad track.

The thing is I'm going to need these boots for duty use.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:35:18 AM EDT
[#18]
i just ordered some salomon jungle boots for hot weather. i imagine they'll breathe well. anybody have any experience?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Could try these.

http://www.salewa.us/en/alp-flow-mid-gtx-men.html
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
i just ordered some salomon jungle boots for hot weather. i imagine they'll breathe well. anybody have any experience?
View Quote
What kind of pricing?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Light wool hiking socks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So moving from Eagle Pass Tx to Alpine Tx tomorrow only 80 miles North of Big Bend National Park! That I don't have anything on paper yet but it looks good that I'll be a LEO in the park soon!
View Quote

What does your prospective employer have for a dress/ uniform code or requirement.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#23]
$125 from TAG Gear

Quoted:

What kind of pricing?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Light wool hiking socks.
View Quote
For hot weather, nothing comes close to the combination of lightweight shoes- tennis shoes and the like, plimsolls, light hikers- synthetic socks, and foot powder. A lot of the hiking I do is in temps above 85* and boots of any sort suck ass in that sort of weather. Even lightweight wool socks can be too warm and they do not dry nearly as fast as synthetic socks. I prefer ankle socks since I typically wear shorts.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#25]
DO NOT use anything 100% synthetic. I don't care what the manufacturers say. All synthetic materials suck in hot weather.

Tractor supply sells $12, 2 pair Merino light wool socks. They work amazingly well in both cold and hot weather. 100% Cotton is another great choice for warm weather. If you sweat a lot, consider changing socks several times per day or at least remove your boots and socks and air your feet several times per day.

Back when I served in the military, we could only use cotton foot wraps. They worked amazingly well inside rough military boots. There is a lesser chance of getting blisters with foot wraps than with socks. Do some research. Foot wraps may be a good solution for you and they are dirt cheap.

As far as boots. It depends on what you need them for. Some Red Wings boots with thin leather seem to work well in hot climates.
With your condition it's best to wear flippers with no socks at all. Look at what people wear in Central America and Caribbean, Philippines and other places where it stays hot and humid year around. Sandals with wool socks may be a good option if your dress code does not allow open footwear with no socks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
DO NOT use anything 100% synthetic. I don't care what the manufacturers say. All synthetic materials suck in hot weather.
View Quote
Strongly disagree. I regularly walk around work daily for about 30 minutes when temps are 100+, and the pavement is upwards of 160. Cotton does not breath nearly as well and retains more heat and moisture. Modern synthetics kick cotton's ass every day of the week, plus many have some sort of antimicrobial feature.

Foot wraps? Seriously? The Russians abandoned foot wraps a few years back for a reason. They're terrible compared to socks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Back when I served in the military, we could only use cotton foot wraps. They worked amazingly well inside rough military boots. There is a lesser chance of getting blisters with foot wraps than with socks. Do some research. Foot wraps may be a good solution for you and they are dirt cheap.
View Quote
That's neat you are the first person I've ever seen mention using Fußlappen/Portyanki/.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Strongly disagree. I regularly walk around work daily for about 30 minutes when temps are 100+, and the pavement is upwards of 160. Cotton does not breath nearly as well and retains more heat and moisture. Modern synthetics kick cotton's ass every day of the week, plus many have some sort of antimicrobial feature.

Foot wraps? Seriously? The Russians abandoned foot wraps a few years back for a reason. They're terrible compared to socks.
View Quote
IMHO, modern synthetics suck big time. I would never wear anything synthetic in hot weather and I don't care how much moisture it wicks. I've tried many expensive, top of the line socks, underwear and shirts. The shirts were the worst, even the best brands that cost over $50 and claimed to have superior "moisture management system". I sweat like a pig in them and overheat quickly. Cotton works great and it's a lot cheaper. Obviously, wool is even better, especially in wet and cold weather. Most of the socks are wear now are made from Merino wool. I love WoolIQ brand from a Tractor Suppy store.

As far as foot wraps..... They work great if you know how to use them and choose proper material for it. I tried to wear socks that were purchased in some specialized store in California. They claimed that their socks were "military grade" and they never wear out while providing extreme comfort for long hikes. The socks got destroyed within several days and I got terrible blisters. I switched to proper cotton foot wraps and could run 7 miles, fully loaded and not get any blisters or discomfort. 100% cotton works best in summer time. Cotton and polyester combination works well in cold weather. Back then, quality wool socks were not available. The one's I had were home made and would wear out too quickly. I only wore them when it got to -20 deg. below zero or colder.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
IMHO, modern synthetics suck big time. I would never wear anything synthetic in hot weather and I don't care how much moisture it wicks. I've tried many expensive, top of the line socks, underwear and shirts. The shirts were the worst, even the best brands that cost over $50 and claimed to have superior "moisture management system". I sweat like a pig in them and overheat quickly. Cotton works great and it's a lot cheaper. Obviously, wool is even better, especially in wet and cold weather. Most of the socks are wear now are made from Merino wool. I love WoolIQ brand from a Tractor Suppy store.
View Quote
Maybe that's the problem: all of my synthetic socks are cheap ankle socks bought at Target or wherever the hell my wife shops. The expensive socks never hold up, while these cheapos wear better both in terms of comfort and durability than anything I've ever used. Go figure.  Granted, your AO is far more humid, but even 50/50 NYCO retains too much heat out here.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Found a good deal on Garmont T8 Bifida boots and read a lot of great reviews on them.

As for socks looking at Darn tough Coolmax Vertex Micro Crew Ultra-Light Cushion Socks

Darn Tough Vermont Men's Vertex Micro Crew Ultra-Light Cushion

Also looking at Bamboo socks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Thread link added to a compiled link list in a hiking boots thread in the general outdoor section:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_1/688698_Hiking-Boots.html
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

As far as foot wraps..... They work great if you know how to use them and choose proper material for it. I tried to wear socks that were purchased in some specialized store in California. They claimed that their socks were "military grade" and they never wear out while providing extreme comfort for long hikes. The socks got destroyed within several days and I got terrible blisters. I switched to proper cotton foot wraps and could run 7 miles, fully loaded and not get any blisters or discomfort. 100% cotton works best in summer time. Cotton and polyester combination works well in cold weather. Back then, quality wool socks were not available. The one's I had were home made and would wear out too quickly. I only wore them when it got to -20 deg. below zero or colder.
View Quote
I played around with foot wraps for a short while because I was curious about them,  having been used in the German army, Soviet Union,  Finland etc.  They worked far better than I would have ever imagined once I figured out the best way to wrap them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#33]
A lot of replies here from well meaning people. If you are hiking trails for a good time, the recommendations for light weight tennies and short ankle socks are probably spot on. I've humped the sonoran desert on foot and horseback for over 30 years and if you will be going overland/cross country through the desert at all, I would probably not consider those options. It's HOT. just like the cold, you need to insulate your feet. Get good insulated boots you can walk in. Between the heat and the cholla, your feet will thank you. If this were the tropics, those mesh things would be great. The desert isn't the tropics. Good luck in your new job location.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#34]
In hot weather, your feet need to dissipate as much heat and moisture as possible, considering that they are continually producing and releasing both. Insulated boots are idiotic when it gets warm. As for protecting your feet, watch where you step (which you should be doing anyway).
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#36]
wool socks, smartwool, people socks.. etc.. whatever, even have some alpaca blend..NO COTTON and I avoid the plastic crap.

Vented boots for the desert heat.

Lowa is my go to, the elite desert did me good for years and so have the zephyr desert (non gortex) and Phoenix.

Surely not the only boot brand in town but I am speaking from my experience in the southwest/desert and what I have actually used for years as every day footwear and hiking footwear.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How good are Vietnam boots in the heat?
View Quote
If you're talking about the classic jungle boot, black boots are torture when the sun is shining. Other than that, they work great. Great ventilation with the vent holes and nylon panels.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:48:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you're talking about the classic jungle boot, black boots are torture when the sun is shining. Other than that, they work great. Great ventilation with the vent holes and nylon panels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How good are Vietnam boots in the heat?
I have always wanted to try a set of the old fashion jungle boots...  Still have yet to do so, but I have always wondered if they would work for me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Gone to wool socks year round. Doesn't matter whether it's winter or summer, good wool socks are much more comfortable and cushioning for your feet.
View Quote
This is the only right answer.

Smartwool: Great, warm sock. I don't like them for everyday wear or hot weather hiking due to the looser wool. Your foot will move more than with other brands. Their medium hiker is great though! One of my favorites for rough terrain and colder weather hiking, I've worn them down to the 20's and loved them.

Redhead(Bass Pro Shop line): The light hiker is my preferred sock for boot wear in hot weather and everyday wear. Very thin though; you may want more padding for rough trails.

Darn Tough: Seem to have denser wool than the others, I may be switching to these over time. I have one pair of their ankle socks that I wear for day hikes with trail shoes and they are flawless.

Icebreaker is a new brand I've heard good things about, haven't tried them yet though.

Edit: The tennis shoes and the insulated boots suggestions are ridiculously insane. If you are going the high-ventilation route, go for low hiker shoes, trail runners, vented boots, etc. Tennis/running shoes give nearly zero lateral support and elevate the heel increasing the odds of ankle injury. Chacos or Tevas are a great option too. I wear Chacos all the time in hot weather hiking, 100% when there are water crossings. They come along in colder weather for crossings and camp wear too.

The insulated boots in hot weather comment shouldn't need any explanation but if you feel like destroying your feet it's a great idea. You'll be walking with your feet in a sauna all day; actually a steam cooker may be a better description.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The insulated boots in hot weather comment shouldn't need any explanation but if you feel like destroying your feet it's a great idea. You'll be walking with your feet in a sauna all day; actually a steam cooker may be a better description.
View Quote
No kidding. You want blisters? That's how ya get blisters.

I was out hiking a couple weekends ago in a canyon a couple hours to the north. 102* as measured by brother's car. Synthetic socks, lightweight shoes, and I was fine for the three hours we were out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Being from Arizona, and having done a bit of hiking in the heat, I would recommend lightweight wool socks. (Those bamboo ones look interesting too.) Cotton is no good, and I don't trust synthetics for anything longer than a walk to the mailbox.
For boots, something lightweight and breathable. Some of the suggestions so far have been a little silly. Lightweight and breathable is what you need.

As previously mentioned, Superfeet insoles are magical. You will like them a lot.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#42]
So far the Garmont T8 Bifida boots are really nice just like Jungle boots but suede leather. The fit was great no problem at all. Did not have any break in time first day I took them out put on the Bamboo sock and took a nice 6 mile walk it was 95+ degs that day and I had no problem my feet where not to hot at all.

The Bamboo socks feel like silk on your feet they are great in the hot weather not sure how well they will do in cold weather but I'll find out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top