Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2016 10:33:50 AM EDT
Greetings all,

I'm not going to ask where to get them as I have already done my research.

However, I would like some input from the community on which ones to acquire, in what dosages, and how many rounds of each are ideal. I would like to stock no more than 3 types of antibiotics, but am open to other ideas.

Thanks in advance !
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a huge pinned thread in the general survival forum that should answer your questions.

Look at the top of the list.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a huge pinned thread in the general survival forum that should answer your questions.

View Quote

Sounds good, thank you !
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I always suggest the 500 mg vancomycin tablets in threads such as these.  Dont let them substitute the 250s.  Heck they cost the same wholesale as the 500s!

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#4]
You realize oral vanc is indicated for C diff
Only?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!

I didn't know that thread was there.

It is most certainly relative to my
interests.

John

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I would also suggest getting Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy's  book, as it outlines this info.  here

Also you should get this...Here
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I always suggest the 500 mg vancomycin tablets in threads such as these.  Dont let them substitute the 250s.  Heck they cost the same wholesale as the 500s!

View Quote

There is no enteric absorption of oral vancomycin so it is useless for all but one GI infection, and even then typically only as second or third line treatment regimens after failing other antibiotics..

If you're treating yourself for c. diff with oral vanc in a survival scenario (or any scenario not including you in an ICU) I think its safe to say you're really up shit creek.  Oral vanc is literally the most useless oral antibiotic you could spend money stocking up on.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There is no enteric absorption of oral vancomycin so it is useless for all but one GI infection, and even then typically only as second or third line treatment regimens after failing other antibiotics..

If you're treating yourself for c. diff with oral vanc in a survival scenario (or any scenario not including you in an ICU) I think its safe to say you're really up shit creek.  Oral vanc is literally the most useless oral antibiotic you could spend money stocking up on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This +1
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Then go for the Rocephin chewables if you don't want the vanc.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Fish meds.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Rocephin is IV or IM only.

At any rate, if we're limiting ourselves to 3 antibiotics only (for the purpose of this discussion), I'd consider the three types of general infections you're likely to encounter and build from there.

I would plan for pulmonary, GI, and skin infections as most likely, in my mind.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

At any rate, if we're limiting ourselves to 3 antibiotics only (for the purpose of this discussion), I'd consider the three types of general infections you're likely to encounter and build from there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

tough crowd

fine

Gentamicin capsules FTW
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
tough crowd

fine

Gentamicin capsules FTW
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

tough crowd

fine

Gentamicin capsules FTW

IM, IV, or ointments.  You could brush your teeth with it.

Not trying to bust your ass.  I'm not sure what abx I would stock, I've been thinking about it.  Something that is generally indicated for the classes of infections you want to treat, but could also potentially treat other infections.  Levaquin for example could treat pneumonia but could be adopted for a UTI and maybe some GI bugs (although wouldn't be ideal).  Bactrim could be used for skin infections as well as UTIs, some GI infections, and a few others.  Maybe throw in some flagyl to cover some GI stuff that could be also adopted for some unusual skin infections (aquatic species if inured in a river for example) and would work well for UTIs.

If you really wanted the coverage provided by Vanc in oral form I would get Linezolid.  It will also cross treat a few infections but it is breaking out the big guns, I wouldn't personally worry too much about needing it.

Leaves a lot to be desired but if you're limited you do what you can.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
tough crowd

fine

Gentamicin capsules FTW
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

tough crowd

fine

Gentamicin capsules FTW

You should seriously stop posting about this topic.  Not sure what you are trying to accomplish by posting random things about potentially dangerous medication.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top