Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2016 5:48:42 PM EDT
Just an FYI....
I had some of the "chlorine based" water purification tablets in sealed packets, placed into a Nalgene bottle with some other goods. When I opened the bottle the other night, there was a strong chlorine smell and my BIC lighter and P38 can opener were rusted/tarnished pretty well. I saw no evidence of a tear or rip, etc and all was dry when placed in bottle which was never filled with any liquids.
Soooo....I would advise separate ziploc for these guys and avoid metal contact!
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Chlorine is an oxidizer just like oxygen (a little stronger, IIRC), and a chlorine atmosphere will support combustion.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Iodine is the same way.  I have a few of the Polar Pure bottles and stored one inside a Ziploc even and it still stained the canteen pouch a red color...I don't care for the ACU/UCP camo anyways, so it doesn't bother me, but if you're nice Gucci Kifaru pack was discolored, it might cause a tear or two.

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top