Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2016 9:21:38 AM EDT
Has anyone here directly wired a modem and router to a 12 V battery?
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#1]
sure its not even hard as long as they are 12v devices  . check polarity of the plug first then just cut the wall wart off and hook the plug up to the battery and check polarity again and plug it in .the issue is keeping the battery charged
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
You can run them but doubt you'll get a connection to your ISP as the switch you are connecting to would be down.

Of course making an assumption you are asking in the case of power outage.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I ran my DSL modem off an 8ah 12v battery, under testing it would go for many hours. The issue I had was finding a power brick that would both keep a charge on the battery and power the modem without burning up.

I later switched to a UPS to keep power to the modem and my network gear stack. In most power outage events, I would maintain connectivity (the ISP was either unaffected by the outage or had backup power as well).

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ran my DSL modem off an 8ah 12v battery, under testing it would go for many hours. The issue I had was finding a power brick that would both keep a charge on the battery and power the modem without burning up.

I later switched to a UPS to keep power to the modem and my network gear stack. In most power outage events, I would maintain connectivity (the ISP was either unaffected by the outage or had backup power as well).

View Quote

Probably right.  Last time I tried it it was going on day 3 without power so either the ISP didn't have backup power or had ran out.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I have my cable modem and router connected to a 1000VA UPS battery backup. When the power goes out,  so far we have still had service from comcast so we have had internet during power outages. Obviously a long term regional outage we would likely not. I have had this happen all day and you could not even notice a drop in battery capacity. They use very little current and should run non-stop for over a week easy. I did the numbers once but can not remember what they were.

And that is just to keep it going until I get the genny cranked up, which then recharges the UPS battery

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, my modem and router are on a UPS. But I've run them directly off a 12v battery before. Mostly this is to smooth out power blips that would otherwise take me offline for a few minutes while they rebooted. However I have experienced power outages where the internet connection stays up for an hour or two - there are UPSs in the relay stations as well. But there's probably not a generator so you won't get more than a couple of hours.

Verizon Fios modems actually have a UPS built into them and I've seen some cable modems that do as well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can run them but doubt you'll get a connection to your ISP as the switch you are connecting to would be down.

View Quote

I was assuming the switches would have backup power or be restored before my service
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both of mine on a fairly large UPS, and a separate bigger one for my computer. Several times the house power is out and I didn't realize it for a couple hours while computing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#9]
UPS is the best answer, 2nd best is a solar recharged 12 v marine battery system with an inverter.    I'd be reluctant to wire in a random 12v source.- it's not the volts its the amps that fry stuff.

You also may want to see if your phone can work as a wifi hotspot.  Cell service often continues when power is out.  Mine gets a signal locally good enough to watch video.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

During Matthew I was able to power my stuff but Comcast was down so there wasn't much point.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
An APC SmartUPS 1500 will support a DSL type modem for over 10 hours based on my testing. Load on the router did not make a significant change to the run times observed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
An APC SmartUPS 1500 will support a DSL type modem for over 10 hours based on my testing. Load on the router did not make a significant change to the run times observed.
View Quote

The problem with using a UPS is that a typical moden draws so little power, the UPS is wasting most of its battery capacity just keeping itself running. Wirh very small AC loads, most UPSs are grossly inefficient.

By using a battery to directly power the modem, you avoid all that waste - and get much longer battery run-time as a result.

Re: Your ISP going dead after a few hours - Phone landlines can continue working for days (or even weeks) after a power failure. So, a dialup modem could still keep you on the internet (albeit on a MUCH slower connection).
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The problem with using a UPS is that a typical moden draws so little power, the UPS is wasting most of its battery capacity just keeping itself running. Wirh very small AC loads, most UPSs are grossly inefficient.

By using a battery to directly power the modem, you avoid all that waste - and get much longer battery run-time as a result.

Re: Your ISP going dead after a few hours - Phone landlines can continue working for days (or even weeks) after a power failure. So, a dialup modem could still keep you on the internet (albeit on a MUCH slower connection).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I completely agree. I had to test the UPS burn down time & rate for a project at work and figured someone was probably wondering what a UPS might be able to do.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I've run my system off a gel cel tank battery and later a deep cycle,  via an inverter.
Running direct without using the wall wart is semi-risky, as you have no isolation.

Yes, it's inefficient as you are changing DC to AC to DC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top