Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2016 9:11:31 PM EDT
I have a Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 that I am setting up and need to add a tarp/tent to it. Any recommendations for this (that would hold up to the elements. Also does anyone run a 1-2 man tent in their bug out bag, or would that just take up too much space/weight. My preference is going with a tent.

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I would just go with 2 of those emergency Mylar tube tents and some paracord. Those are light weight items that can be used for multiple purposes and you wouldn't  hesitate to leave it behind or use it for something besides shelter if needed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would just go with 2 of those emergency Mylar tube tents and some paracord. Those are light weight items that can be used for multiple purposes and you wouldn't  hesitate to leave it behind or use it for something besides shelter if needed.
View Quote

Good idea, I just looked at the UST, looks pretty decent. Thanks for your response.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 that I am setting up and need to add a tarp/tent to it. Any recommendations for this (that would hold up to the elements. Also does anyone run a 1-2 man tent in their bug out bag, or would that just take up too much space/weight. My preference is going with a tent.

Thanks

View Quote

I've been using a Hennessy hammock for about 12 years now, it's still in new condition despite having spent well over 30 trips out in it. Weighs 1lb,15oz and fits in a 2x6x8 MOLLE pouch. You can afford that little bit of weight. Add in a light inflatable pad and you literally don't get any better comfort outdoors, it's like sitting or laying in a waterproof EZ chair.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 12:04:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Good idea, I just looked at the UST, looks pretty decent. Thanks for your response.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They call them emergency blankets for a reason-you use them only in an emergency, they just don't have the durability for anything more than that. You are essentially talking about a giant Doritos bag, seriously. Would you sleep in a Cheetos bag and expect it to make it thru a blowing rainy night without  getting wet because the wind shredded it or sticks on the ground poked holes in it?

If you have to go absolute minimalist and don't plan to ever use your shelter for more than an emergency, SOL makes a tyvek bivvy that actually holds up to regular use. It's about $50 and is pretty minimal. I like mine but it is not something I'd want to count on. Sleeping on the ground is cold enough in a sleeping bag, in a plastic bag with no insulatIon is going to suck balls.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:35:36 AM EDT
[#5]
What about getting both? tarptent.com

I was seriously considering their Rainshadow 2 before I was gifted another tent. I liked that they are Made in USA, are light, and some models used trekking poles as well as tent poles to help shave weight. They are geared for the ultralight crowd, so they may not be the perfect fit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 5:46:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Shelter choices depend a lot on location and season.  I know down here in the SE, from late spring to early fall, I don’t want to sleep on the ground.  In some locations it’s wet, at certain times ticks can be overwhelming.  I much prefer a hammock setup.  Additionally, with the heat and humidity, you can overheat in a smaller bivy tent.

From fall through early spring, a tent isn’t a bad option and provides a more enclosed shelter from the elements.

I like a hammock setup as my rain fly is just a tarp and can be used as a stand-alone for a ground shelter; for me a hammock setup is more versatile (and comfortable).

Sil-Nylon is about the best value for performance and robustness when it comes to tarps.  If you want more than just a hammock fly, I would opt for a traditional rectangular shape, long enough to cover the hammock (10-12 feet length-wise).  Some hammocks have bug nets built in, others can have them added…a big consideration during the buggy-months.

For colder weather, a good 10x10 tarp can be configured in a pretty robust shelter.  Add a ground pad and bivy bag and you’re well insulated and protected from the elements.

Another nice option is the Lawson Hammock.  It’s a spreader-type hammock that can also be setup just like a ground bivy.  I like it, but still prefer the versatility of a traditional rain fly.  Even still, I will often switch from a single bivy-type tent to a hammock as the seasons change.  My three "tent" choices are a Snugpak Ionsophere, Catoma Raider or an OR Alpine bivy paired with a small rain fly.

I too have the Gunslinger II pack and if you can fit the shelter kit in a tubular stuff sack, it would easily carry under the bottom flap outside the pack, freeing up room inside for other gear, yet quickly accessible to get your shelter up fast if needed.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They call them emergency blankets for a reason-you use them only in an emergency, they just don't have the durability for anything more than that. You are essentially talking about a giant Doritos bag, seriously. Would you sleep in a Cheetos bag and expect it to make it thru a blowing rainy night without  getting wet because the wind shredded it or sticks on the ground poked holes in it?

If you have to go absolute minimalist and don't plan to ever use your shelter for more than an emergency, SOL makes a tyvek bivvy that actually holds up to regular use. It's about $50 and is pretty minimal. I like mine but it is not something I'd want to count on. Sleeping on the ground is cold enough in a sleeping bag, in a plastic bag with no insulatIon is going to suck balls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I gave this recommendation based on a SHTF scenario. That Doritos bag will have some advantages over a real tent, especially when it comes to hiding from a FLIR.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:19:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I decided that I am going to add the UST to my pack and also am going to get the Snugpak Scorpion 3. I need a tent, so I will just keep in my vehicle, I want to have something really good and 4 seasons.

Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, I gave this recommendation based on a SHTF scenario. That Doritos bag will have some advantages over a real tent, especially when it comes to hiding from a FLIR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you consider the likelihood of needing to use your emergency shelter as camo from a team with modern FLIR technology?  
Are you hiding from Seal Team 6?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What do you consider the likelihood of needing to use your emergency shelter as camo from a team with modern FLIR technology?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not much of a chance of using but I really wanted a good tent. Probably a fair amount of equipment I buy, may never use but I prefer on getting the best quality I can afford, good excuse to go camping.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#11]
A hammock is probably your best bet, but if you have budget issues, the tarp is a LOT more versatile. This website shows how to set up a tarp in 25 different configurations: 25 Different Ways to Tarp Your Way To Happiness. You can also tie it up into a tipi configuration for a roughly four season shelter (YMMV).
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you can set it up in a swamp where nobody would bother looking for a camp site...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top