Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2016 8:58:39 PM EDT
I've finally tried our Therm-a-rest NeoAir and inflated it too stiff and woke up with stiff neck and back.
So next time I get on it, I'll lay on top and deflate it to where it will get more comfortable.

In the meantime, I'm looking for a non-inflating sleeping pad, thick enough for side sleepers.

Been looking at the Therm-a-rest Z-lite since I see them on UL hikers a lot.  

Anyone got an opinion or read what's best for side sleepers?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The one I use for truck camping is huge. 2.5" thick foam.  But I sleep well on it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I sleep on my side most of the time and my Z-Lite works great. Proper head support- pillow, stuff sack with clothes, folded jacket- is critical.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#3]
As a side sleeper myself I think a pillow is more important than the thickness of the pad you sleep on.  Unfortunately I'm still looking for a good pillow that packs down small.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:23:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a side sleeper myself I think a pillow is more important than the thickness of the pad you sleep on.  Unfortunately I'm still looking for a good pillow that packs down small.
View Quote

Exped air pillow made a huge difference in my sleep quality while backpacking.  Expensive for what it is, but we'll worth it IMO.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:49:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a Nemo Fillo pillow, it works pretty dang well.  I take it when I fly too, beats the crap out of those little airplane pillows.  If you're a side sleeper and want a packable non-inflatable ground pad that's comfortable, good luck.  I'd recommend a hammock instead.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got back from a three day trip. We set up a base camp that we hiked and fished out of. I used a Thermarest Trail Pro and it worked really well. The ground where we were at was flat, but really hard. The Trail Pro is not super light, but I think it'd be comfortable just about anywhere. If I had known we were going to set up a base camp or if I was truck camping, I'd get one of the Intex 6" air mattresses from Walmart for $8. Comfortable and disposable.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I know it's inflatable, but thought I would give you options.  

Big Agnes Q-Core Insulated http://www.campsaver.com/insulated-q-core-sleeping-pad-1

This is what I have and I'm a side sleeper.  I've tried a few other pads, even a big air mattress, but this one works the best because it's really thick.  Mine is also not very wide, but I think they make variations.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Ditto. I have broad shoulders and nothing is tall enough.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I've finally tried our Therm-a-rest NeoAir and inflated it too stiff and woke up with stiff neck and back.

So next time I get on it, I'll lay on top and deflate it to where it will get more comfortable.

In the meantime, I'm looking for a non-inflating sleeping pad, thick enough for side sleepers.

Been looking at the Therm-a-rest Z-lite since I see them on UL hikers a lot.  

Anyone got an opinion or read what's best for side sleepers?

Thanks

View Quote
I use a z-lite in my hammock...you're going to wake up a lot more sore if you try to sleep on the ground with one.  For backpacking, inflatable beats foam ever time.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Wal-Mart sells the 2.5" or so memory foam pads for mattresses.

Used one of these for years on plywood bunk at my cabin.

Very comfy for side sleeping.

Txl
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#12]
much appreciated guys
while the missus was gone for the weekend and I was moving lots unpacked items from the basement and decided to F-it and hang my Hennesy Asym and newly made Costco DIY UQ and sleep in.
woke up so refreshing and zero stiffness.
maybe tonight, I'll give my Therm-A-Rest NeoAir a try again, adjusting the stiffness and Thermperpedic Pillow, for now.

I'll definitely keep the Z-lite in the Amazon and wait for it to go on sale.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one of these, AMAZING! Not for hiking but if you are hauling everything in by car, go for it.

https://www.amazon.com/TETON-Sports-Outfitter-XXL-Camp/dp/B000P6DJ8O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474162874&sr=8-1&keywords=teton+mattress
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have one of these, AMAZING! Not for hiking but if you are hauling everything in by car, go for it.

https://www.amazon.com/TETON-Sports-Outfitter-XXL-Camp/dp/B000P6DJ8O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474162874&sr=8-1&keywords=teton+mattress
View Quote

thanks, but, those 1-star reviews couldn't convince me enough.  I'll have to research this some more
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

thanks, but, those 1-star reviews couldn't convince me enough.  I'll have to research this some more
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is basically a tougher memory foam mattress topper with a heavy duty cloth outer cover. The cover is comfortable to sleep on with our without a sleeping bag. I often use it with just a blanket or sheet. It isn't light and doesn't pack up small at all. I have the xx-large one and used it for years. I gave it to my son for his physical therapy sessions and it hasn't worn out at all. I recently bought the cot sized one. It's not as thick but works great. I'm not sure what those one star reviews are about.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use my rolled-up Gore-Tex jacket or Fleece for a pillow.

All my large clothing items like that are folded into themselves.

Lay flat, fold lengthwise in thirds, roll from top to hem, fold into hem like socks.

You can also use stuff sacks with soft gear in them.

My woobie in a stuff sack makes a nice little pillow.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I am a stomach sleeper mostly but also sleep on my side. I use a Klymit Satatic V Luxe and love it. Last time I went camping I slept on top of a rock the size of a childs fist and didn't even realize it until I rolled my pad up to go home.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J972O8Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top