Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2016 1:38:44 PM EDT
So I picked one of these up for my three day hiking trip. Very light. Used the heck out of it, and it was dependable with no leaks. Used it out of running streams at the camp sites. However on my 2nd day there I noticed after using it, I had little floaties in my hydration system. My sawyer straw didn't have any leaks or drips coming from the bag, so I'm guessing they came through my filtration part which kind of worries me a little bit. Anyone else have this problem?
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Anything's possible, like a leak, or something, but the technology in the Sawyer filters is the same that they used in kidney dialysis machines, but stopped using it because it was filtering out the good stuff, along with the bad.

I have a Squeeze One and two Minis, but haven't used them all that much.  My S-One works with a gravity bucket system, so at that point, my condo neighbors will enjoy the floaties, or go thirsty.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]
What are the chances those floaties were previously dried residue/sediment/smegma on the inside your hydration system?  It could easily be backwash too.

Unless you let it freeze , I don't see how anything visible to the human eye could pass through one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I would bet those floaties didn't go through the filter.  They were probably a bit of bacteria growing in your bladder.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:45:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would bet those floaties didn't go through the filter.  They were probably a bit of bacteria growing in your bladder.
View Quote

Hey...I agree!

Go Fenix!

Chris
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got multiple Mini's but decided to leave my flush syringe at home on a trip earlier this year.  Big mistake!  We had to get water out of a small pone (the only water source for miles) and all the Mini's we were using quickly clogged within a quart of water.

I will always pack my flush syringe on future trips and will probably switch to the larger Squeeze in the future.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I've got multiple Mini's but decided to leave my flush syringe at home on a trip earlier this year.  Big mistake!  We had to get water out of a small pone (the only water source for miles) and all the Mini's we were using quickly clogged within a quart of water.

I will always pack my flush syringe on future trips and will probably switch to the larger Squeeze in the future.
View Quote
A lot of hikers use the Smart Water bottles because the nozzle cap can also function as a flushing "syringe" of sorts.

(picture taken randomly from the internet)

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well hopefully they aren't brain eating amoebas. I figured the bladder wouldn't matter and it would filter anything through the mini straw.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 12:51:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Try using a coffee filter to pre-filter, and maybe a carbon filter inline, if worried about viruses take some Aquamira drops or tabs with you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top